Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: A philosophical question

Offline Sri

• View Profile
A philosophical question
« on: May 06, 2014, 04:15:59 AM »
This is a rather philosophical question. I begin from the very first verse of the Qur'an, which declares the mercy of God. Since He is merciful, He is also loving. If so, and since the Qur'an emphasizes the merciful nature of God, shouldn't He delight in mercy, the mercy that His creatures show one another? Should not that be what He desires more than worship? So as long as a man show mercy to his fellow creatures, why would God care how many idols he worships? I mean, monotheism is the truth, but what harm can polytheism do? Why should it be deserving of hell?

Offline ahmad

• View Profile
Re: A philosophical question
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 05:45:28 AM »
Salam Siri

shouldn't He delight in mercy, the mercy that His creatures show one another?

From my humble perspective, I think that its not up to us to say what God likes or doesn't like. Especially when we have the Quran that tell us in detail what exactly God expects from us.

Should not that be what He desires more than worship?

Again, its not up to us to set the rules. We have the freedom to either obey the rules and disobey them and suffer the consequences.
By rules I mean what God desires from us.

So as long as a man show mercy to his fellow creatures, why would God care how many idols he worships?
Like you said, Idol worship is not the truth. And according to God's system (Rules) we need to follow the truth in order to become successful.

what harm can polytheism do? Why should it be deserving of hell?

ٌI think that its important to remember that God does whatever he wants.

[22:14] Qarai
Allah will indeed admit those who have faith and do righteous deeds into gardens with streams running in them. Indeed Allah does whatever He desires

And that if he willed he would have guided all mankind.

[6:149] Qarai
Say, ‘To Allah belongs the conclusive argument. Had He wished, He would have surely guided you all.’

So asking why does it deserve hell, is like asking why does gravity exist. Because that's what God wills.

Would it be fair to make the people who acknowledged the truth and strived for it equal to the people who didn't ?

[45:21] Qarai
Do those who have perpetrated misdeeds suppose that We shall treat them like those who have faith and do righteous deeds, their life and death being equal? Evil is the judgement that they make!

At the end only god knows the righteous

[53:32] Saheeh International
Those who avoid the major sins and immoralities, only [committing] slight ones. Indeed, your Lord is vast in forgiveness. He was most knowing of you when He produced you from the earth and when you were fetuses in the wombs of your mothers. So do not claim yourselves to be pure; He is most knowing of who fears Him

And he is the best judge.

[10:109] Qarai
And follow that which is revealed to you, and be patient until Allah issues [His] judgement, and He is the best of judges.

Hope this helps.