Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Prophet Muhammad's Greater Rank

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Prophet Muhammad's Greater Rank
« on: June 06, 2014, 08:08:09 PM »
Marhaba brother,

My name is [Name removed] from Turkey. I stumbled upon your site quranmessage.com.

When i read the article about  http://quransmessage.com/articles/prophet%20is%20blessed%20FM3.htm you there state believers of Islam must not make any distinction between prophets. Although I agree with you in that but in Quran the command which prohibits  not to make any distinction is given with the context in believing to them and their message such in sura bakara  (1-136). And as for their status between there is ayat Isra (17-55), Bakara (1-253) Those messengers some of them we caused exceed others. So what I understand is as a Muslim we don't make any distinction in believing all prophets of Allah. But I also believe because of Quran Allah made some prophets exceed others and as for the sura Saba(34 - 28 ayat) we sent down you for all people as a messenger... and also  Anbiya (21-107) we sent you as a source of mercy for all creatures.

As a conclusion one ayat cannot be used to deduct a general idea instead we have to take into consideration of other ayats.

Yours sincerely.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Prophet Muhammad's Greater Rank
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 08:18:28 PM »
Dear brother,

Wa alaikum assalam

With respect, I cannot disagree with you more strongly.

You say that one verse (ayat) 'cannot be used to deduct a general idea instead we have to take into consideration of other ayats.’, yet I respectfully find you doing exactly the same thing that you warn me about, by completely ignoring so many verses of the Quran.

The Quran makes it clear that as an article of faith (aqeedah), believers are not to make distinctions - 'nufarriqu' (of any sorts) between the messengers (2:285; 2:136). Any 'ranks' (darajat) are only with God, which is made clear in verse 2:253 where there is no mention of Prophet Muhammad.

You then take the meaning of 'alameen' and restrict its usage for Prophet Muhammad to imply exclusivity. The Quran also makes use of 'alameen' - in your definition as 'for all creatures' in other contexts. Thus by your logic, those usages should also have special status too. But you do not mention any of these.

For example:

• Prophet Jesus was a sign for all creatures (21:91). Does that make Prophet Jesus's rank the greatest?
  • The saving of Prophet Noah in the ark was a sign to all creatures (29:15). Does that make Prophet Noah's rank the greatest?
  • Prophet Moses confirms that the children of Israel are preferred over all creatures 7:140.  This preference for the Children of Israel has been confirmed in many other verses such as 2:122, 2:47 and 44:32. Does that make the rank of the Jews, the greatest?

You with respect, have completely ignored that the gist of Prophet Muhammad's guidance to all creatures is no different from the guidance of the prophets of old which they are told to ‘copy / imitate’ (6:90).

I find, as in most traditional arguments such as yours, that there is an attempt to 'fit' the verses according to one's own beliefs which is a part of scripting from one's forefathers and those clergymen that they may have learnt their religion from. (Please see: confirmation bias).

This does mean however, what you or they kindly assert is correct.

For example, the following are exclusive characteristics mentioned for different messengers. Does this make their rank greater than others? I would humbly advise you to seriously think about this.

PROPHET MOSES'S EXCLUSIVITY

• Only once has God used the Arabic term 'mahabbata(n)-minni' (love from me) with respect to a child and this is with regards Prophet Moses (20:39)
  • Prophet Moses is the only Messenger of God mentioned by name the was spoken to directly by God. Others, including Prophet Muhammad only received inspiration (4:163-164)
  • Prophet Moses was chosen over 'mankind' (Arabic: is'tafaytuka ala l-nasi) by virtue of his mission and because God spoke to him directly (7:144)
  • Prophet Moses is the most mentioned Messenger of God in the Quran whilst Prophet Muhammad is only mentioned four times directly by name (3:144, 33:40, 47:2, 48:29).

PROPHET JESUS'S EXCLUSIVITY

• He was the only Prophet strengthened with the Holy Spirit since birth (5:110)
  • He was born with wisdom and spoke with wisdom as a young child (19:29; 3:46, 5:110) unlike other Prophets who did not receive Divine guidance until later in life (e.g. Prophets Abraham, Moses and Muhammad (pbut))
  • He was conceived from an immaculate conception (3:47; 19:20)
  • He was granted the power to heel the sick, the blind and to bring the dead to life (5:110).

PROPHET SOLOMON'S EXCLUSIVITY

• No messenger of God was given a kingdom such as that of Prophet Solomon after him (38:35)
  • He understood the speech of birds (along with Prophet David) (27:16) and the ants (27:19)
  • He had control over the winds (38:36; 21:81)
  • He had control over the Jinn that worked for him (38:37)

PROPHET ABRAHAM'S EXCLUSIVITY

• Prophet Abraham is referred to as the father of faith (22:78)
  • Prophet Abraham is referred to as a ‘khalil’ (friend) of God (4:125)
  • Prophet Muhammad and all believers are asked to follow the footsteps of Prophet Abraham (16:123)

PROPHET NOAH'S EXCLUSIVITY

• He was the only prophet or messenger of God mentioned as being granted such an extended life span of 950 years (29:14)

PROPHET JONAH'S EXCLUSIVITY

• Prophet Jonah is the only messenger of God whose subsequent Prophetic ministerial success is expressed in numbers of over 100,000 believers (37:147-148).

PROPHET JOSEPH'S EXCLUSIVITY

• His charm / beauty was greatly admired (akbara), awed at (hasha-lillah - God save us) and even likened to that of a noble angel (malakun karim) (12:31)
  • He has been mentioned as being granted the wisdom to interpret dreams / events (12:6; 21; 36; 46; 100-101)

I trust that you will now find noteworthy that my humble position is not merely argued from one 'isolated' verse without considering wider context as you imply. Rather, it is a position argued for after serious scrutiny of the wider contexts of the Quran's narratives.

I would strongly urge you to not restrict yourself to one article that you have read but also analyse the supporting articles that are shared at the end of the article to obtain a better understanding of the context in which I have argued my perspective.

In the end of course, it is your prerogative to believe whatever you desire. However, this does mean that your beliefs have any Quranic support. The Quran of course is ultimately the word of God and the final criterion to judge.

With respect and regards,
Joseph

REFERENCES:

(1)    Exclusiveness of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)
http://quransmessage.com/articles/exclusiveness%20of%20prophet%20muhammad%20FM3.htm
(2)    Do Not Make Any Distinctions Between the Messengers of God
http://quransmessage.com/articles/do%20not%20make%20distinctions%20between%20messengers%20FM3.htm
(3)    Understanding the Quranic term 'Alameen'
http://quransmessage.com/articles/alameen%20FM3.htm
(4)    Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) as a Mercy to Creation
http://quransmessage.com/articles/prophet%20muhammad%20as%20a%20mercy%20to%20creation%20FM3.htm
(5)    Following the Example of the Prophet - What is that Example?
http://quransmessage.com/articles/exclusiveness%20of%20prophet%20muhammad%20FM3.htm
(6)    Prophet Muhammad's (pbuh)  Special Mercy Status
http://quransmessage.com/articles/prophet%20muhammad's%20special%20mercy%20status%20FM3.htm
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell