Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Different paths to belief

Offline ahmad

• View Profile
Different paths to belief
« on: July 10, 2014, 07:34:48 AM »
Salam all,

I have met people who said they believed in the Quran because its makes them feel at peace when it is recited. Others stated that they believed in it because of the scientific miracles found inside it. Some when I asked them why do you believe the Quran is the word of God, they answered "because its the word of God" . While others may have believed in the Quran because of its arguments.

Therefore, is there a "best" way to reach a conclusion about the Quran, or are all paths to belief valid (even if it involves circular logic , appeal to emotions or any other similar method of thinking) ? In other words if someone believes in the Quran based on irrational reasons would it still be considered belief, would he need to change what he based his belief on or is it fine as he is as long as he believes ?

Thank you.

Offline Hamzeh

• View Profile
Re: Different paths to belief
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 08:16:06 AM »
Salamu Alaykum

You know I always wondered about something similar.  What I mean is I would probably assume that some people believe in the Quran even though they have not read the holy book. I mean at one point I believed in it and I was not a reader. But I did have questions about it and looked at the arguments it had. Or the contradictions people claimed it had and tried to look for answers if that was true or not. Even though without reading the Quran at first I still new background info about its beliefs that had me convinced.

And there might be some that would believe in the book just maybe because they are born into the religion of Islam.

However even now after reading the Quran and pondering over the verses and trying to read it as many times as I can with more attention to its meaning every time. I still by myself would not know how to defend the book of Allah by what other people say about it. Alhamdulila thank GOD there is people who can and from my opinion brother Joseph does a great job Masha'Allah.

At the end I take what people call contradictions and errors in the Quran and I compare them with honest people who studied

Offline Hamzeh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 08:49:13 AM »
Salamu Alaykum

You know I always wondered about something similar.  What I mean is I would probably assume that some people believe in the Quran even though they have not read the holy book. I mean at one point I believed in it and I was not a reader. But I did have questions about it and looked at the arguments it had. Or the contradictions people claimed it had and tried to look for answers if that was true or not. Even though without reading the Quran at first I still new background info about its beliefs that had me convinced. 

And there might be some that would believe in the book just maybe because they are born into the religion of Islam. 

However even now after reading the Quran and pondering over the verses and trying to read it as many times as I can with more attention to its meaning every time. I still by myself would not know how to defend the book of Allah by what other people say about it. Alhamdulila thank GOD there is people who can and from my opinion brother Joseph does a great job Masha'Allah

At the end I take what people call contradictions and errors in the Quran and I compare them with honest people who studied the Quran and Glory be to GOD. I find that this book can not be from no other because of how it is with its arguments.  

It can also be the same with 2 groups who believe in the Quran and they have differences about the meaning. And I found that 95% of the time the meanings are clear and leaves no doubt for one or the other to reject it. To be honest this is the only site I came across that tries to look for what the meaning really is without being bias about something.  And I found that the Quran is not a book that is scared of discussions or questions. It gives what it intended to give but some might not like and others might. 

So im saying that I think most people dont have the ability to do what others do and not be able to memorize the Quran or know how to support the verses and see what the meanings are behind them. But I would think that most of us have the ability to decern between right and wrong and to go with the truth. And at times I found that after clear explicit convincing arguments from the Quran and after a long discussion that took time and effort by some the others still would say I think I will stick to my way at looking at it or we all have different views. Which I think its dishonest of disrespectful. But I cant read the hearts of people but it does seem that the person arguing has the ability to see what has been said. At the end Allah knows best.

It is very hateful in the sight of God to wrangle about the verses / signs of God / denying clear proofs or arguments without warrant - (40:35)

Peace

Offline ahmad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 09:43:54 AM »
Dear brother Hamzeh,

Thank you sharing your perspective.  :)

Offline good logic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 12:03:24 PM »
Greetings Ahmed.

I hope you don t mind me giving you my story of belief in Qoran.

I was aware of the bible and the Qoran. I browsed  the bible from time to time,out of interest.

My curiosity with Qoran, led me  to read "translations" that made no sense to me at first. it was like "tales of the ancients"

I remember thinking  " I need to study both the bible and Qoran" and compare, Are these books so special like people of different religions claim?
Several years later, into my studies, I have  no doubt that Qoran is the word of GOD.
 In fact, Once we analyze and process the message, we must recognize and choose God, because we need His guidance to understand, discern and perceive the reality beyond the materialistic illusion of this world. Qoran explains this point clearly.

Qoran also explains that those who choose to disbelieve are deprived of such divine guidance. Thus, the choice we make, belief or disbelief, will have a direct and a fundamental impact on our intellect (19:75-76, 10:33, 6:109-110, 21:79).
 By the grace of God and His guiding mechanisms, believers develop logical, objective and scientific reasoning skills to better understand God's message in His scripture.
Consequently, they fully perceive it, grasp it and utilize it to grow spiritually

. In other words, it is the intelligence and the reason through studying the message, that bring believers to the realization that they must choose to pay attention to and develop their souls to be able to rejoin God's kingdom.
 It is the intelligence and reason through studying the message with sincerity, that empower them to reach the inner balance of persevering on the straight path to achieve the eternal bliss with God while enjoying, appreciating His message.

[Qoran 55:9] You shall establish justice; do not violate the law.

When Qoran is processed by those who choose to use their intelligence (their brains), God intervenes so they properly grasp the reality of this journey on earth (2:257), its meaning and purpose (51:55-57, 90:4, 44:39, 14:19, 15:85).
 They witness the complete and verifiable one truth that sound reason must lead to true faith, to one God, one source and authority of all laws and values. They see, hear, comprehend and perceive the phenomenon of God. They persevere to redeem their souls and securely return to God in peace, contentment and dignity.

I thank the Lord that I value His words . I take every word seriously. I am grateful to the Lord of the universe for Qoran.

GOD bless you.
Peace.

Total loyalty to GOD
In GOD i TRUST.
https://total-loyalty-to-god-alone.co.uk/?page_id=197

Offline ahmad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 10:43:24 PM »
Salam Good Logic,

Thank you for sharing your story.

Offline jav

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 09:45:49 PM »
In my opinion the only reason a Muslim would believe in the Quran is because he or she had accepted Islam and so believe in One Allah ,Muhammad (SAW) ,and the Quran .The believe on Quran is that it is true words of Allah which shows right path. The rest of the reasons you have mentioned is, liking some thing about Quran according to once own taste, other than the basic belief, i just mentioned.

Offline ahmad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 12:31:09 AM »
Salam Jav,
Welcome to the Forum  :)

I just have a comment on what you shared.
In my opinion the only reason a Muslim would believe in the Quran is because he or she had accepted Islam

Islam as a religion is accepted through the Quran. Not the other way around. At least from my experience. Can explain how can the Quran be believed in by accepting islam, When its the Quran that tells us about islam in the first place ?

Thank you.

Offline jav

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 05:28:21 AM »
salam
          In your question you said people believed in i-e muslims. for them concept of One Allah is clear and that  Islam as a true religion , now if someone crooks an ayah and confuses them or interprets them wrongly ,they will not be in doubt concerning the Quran and if possible tries to correct it  cz they have a belief in One Allah, Muhammad (saw) as last messenger and the Quran as true book.

Offline good logic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 06:23:01 AM »
Greetings Jav.

May I ask you a couple of questions:

1-  Can you clarify which "Islam" is the true religion?

2-  Where do you get that Muhammed is the last messenger from?

GOD bless you.
Peace.
Total loyalty to GOD
In GOD i TRUST.

Offline jav

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 08:55:08 PM »
to good logic.
K , ill tell my point of view.
     let's see , typically here in our area a child in a Muslim family is told before going to school about One Allah and the Prophet (saw) . then starts by reading Quran so learns arabic cz in here that's not primary language. normally they are in their puberty and has not yet translated the Quran. they do learn about principles of Islam and also queries in it from surrounding. then some BUT NOT ALL decides to  learn the Quran. Most of us including me finds the same queries but do not turn away from religion cz they have a BELIEF. But one of my relative studied the Quran and was in doubt so turned to books of other religion and is now an Atheist ( he did read Quran).
      If only learning the Quran is the only factor which makes people come to Islam ( the religion we present Muslim believe in and the detail of which we know) .the Quran would have been given to people and would have been asked to read and learn about your only God! and then a messenger was not needed !  every sane would have interpreted it differently, some even would not have read ..too busy with life ,some died before they would have completed it and so much more. it's practically impossible!
    Then why a messenger (telling is one of his primary job) to tell people what is there really ! In the start when Prophet (saw) start telling people about the Only God. Tell me did he put a COMPLETE BOOK i-e Quran  in front of people and so that they see and read and understand a divine Book that of like, does not exist and turn to his way?  WHEN  there were only a FEW verses revealed then.(surely THE Quan is a word of Allah)
   See there is a teller and a listener . the teller has a point and the listener creates a room in his mind for that point. and that's  how he may start BELIEVING on what he said. if no room in his mind then no belief .
  All i think is you need a preliminary belief that makes you a Muslim( whether yet practising or not) . then can understand Quran which reminds of his belief ,tells him about matters of life and its dealing.
  So one need a teller without that its practically impossible and a listener who can accept that. For me there were me family members at first and then the community and school years before i had even read or translated Quran .  :)
  that's what i think!
May Allah be please with us.

Offline good logic

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 02:11:08 AM »
Peace Jav.

Sorry I do not understand the point you are making?

Regardless of the past, we now have the Qoran in full and ready to be studied .

The " islam" of the Qoran is not the same " Islam" preached throughout the "muslim" world that adhere to hadiths.

I suggest you take your time and study Qoran, This method is a way out of all the brainwashing done by society and its pressures.

GOD bless you.
Peace.
Total loyalty to GOD
In GOD i TRUST.

Offline jav

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 03:05:00 AM »
    A  s for your shared story is concerned u did create a room in your mind for the Quran and God helped you out with that . As you said "
My curiosity with Qoran, led me  to read "translations". " and "In fact, Once we analyze and process the message, we must recognize and choose God, because we need His guidance to understand, discern and perceive the reality beyond the materialistic illusion of this world. "
   luckily ,i m not brainwashed by the society or any other evil that you may be thinking of. I m thankful to those who showed me what's right or wrong or something they did think was right but is wrong ,then i m not unaware of that. and as far as Quran is concerned, every Muslim should be understanding it and so do i and am trying more.

Offline good logic

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2014, 01:45:22 AM »
Greetings Jav.

I am happy you have clarified your position.

Good luck with your journey.

Apologies from me.

Thank you and GOD bless you.
Peace.
Total loyalty to GOD
In GOD i TRUST.