Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: To desire this world or not ?

Offline ahmad

• View Profile
To desire this world or not ?
« on: July 31, 2014, 11:16:51 AM »
Should we have any desire for this life or should we only desire the next one ? Can we desire both ? There are many verses which say that believers shall have a good life in this world. Like 16:41. There is also the following verses where believers ask for both. Good in this life and the next.

Saheeh International

[2:200]
And when you have completed your rites, remember Allah like your [previous] remembrance of your fathers or with [much] greater remembrance. And among the people is he who says, "Our Lord, give us in this world," and he will have in the Hereafter no share.
[2:201] Saheeh International
But among them is he who says, "Our Lord, give us in this world [that which is] good and in the Hereafter [that which is] good and protect us from the punishment of the Fire.
[2:202] Saheeh International
Those will have a share of what they have earned, and Allah is swift in account.

On the other hand verse 18:28 tells the prophet not to desire the "adornments of the worldly life"

[18:28]
And keep yourself patient [by being] with those who call upon their Lord in the morning and the evening, seeking His countenance. And let not your eyes pass beyond them, desiring adornments of the worldly life, and do not obey one whose heart We have made heedless of Our remembrance and who follows his desire and whose affair is ever [in] neglect.

So is the "adornments of the worldly life" different from the good life promised by God to believers ?

There are also 9:38.

[9:38]
O you who have believed, what is [the matter] with you that, when you are told to go forth in the cause of Allah, you adhere heavily to the earth? Are you satisfied with the life of this world rather than the Hereafter? But what is the enjoyment of worldly life compared to the Hereafter except a [very] little.

I'm trying to reach a conclusion that includes all the verses that talk about this topic (there are more than the ones listed above).
Any  clarification on the matter is greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Offline Mubashir

• View Profile
Re: To desire this world or not ?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 01:03:24 PM »
To help with the discussion:

"And seek with the provisions bestowed upon you by God the abode of the Hereafter, and do not forget your share in this world, and do good as God has done good to you. And do not seek corruption in the land. God does not love the corrupters." 
    -- al-Qasas 28:77 as rendered by Bilal Muhammad (2013 Edition)

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 08:27:33 AM »
Dear Ahmad,

As-salam alaykum

From a Quran's perspective at least, there is nothing wrong with seeking (or possessing) earthly pleasures as long as they are kept in perspective; one remains humble and thankful to God for them (34:13); one makes use of their means in the most beneficial manner for good; and one does not become arrogant, boastful and extravagant as a result.

Please see below a few verses of note:

PROPHET MUHAMMAD

093:008
"And He found you in need / poor (Arabic: Ailan) and made you self sufficient / enriched you / wealthy (Arabic: Aghna)?"

Note how the Arabic 'ailan' (needy, poor, poverty, neglected) is contrasted with the Arabic 'aghna' (self-sufficiency, being enriched, wealthy, free from wants, having no wants, in a state of competence or sufficiency or rich or wealthy). Please also see how the Arabic 'aghna' is used in another verse of the Quran to denote 'wealth and riches'.

"That it is He Who gives wealth / enriches (Arabic: aghna) and satisfaction"

The prophet's ample means is also alluded to in another verse of the Quran.

033:028
"O Prophet! say to your wives: If you desire this world's life and its adornment / beauty, then come, I will give you a provision and allow you to depart a goodly departing (Arabic: Jamilan)"

Jamil - handsome, beautiful manner. This clearly shows the Prophet's capacity to accommodate the worldly desires of his consorts and release them if it is that what they were rather interested in.

PROPHET SOLOMON

Even Prophet Solomon had both earthly desires as well as spiritual desires. He even asked for an earthly kingdom that would belong to no other after him.

038:035
"He said: My Lord! Forgive me and bestow on me sovereignty / kingdom such as shall not belong to any after me. Lo! Thou art the Bestower"

021:081-82
"And unto Solomon (We subdued) the wind in its raging. It set by his command toward the land which We had blessed. And of everything We are Aware. : And of the evil ones (subdued We unto him) some who dived (for pearls) for him and did other work, and We were warders unto them"

Please note below the need to give thanks to the Ultimate Provider (God Almighty).

034:012-13
"And unto Solomon (We gave) the wind, whereof the morning course was a month's journey and the evening course a month's journey, and We caused the fount of copper to gush forth for him, and (We gave him) certain of the jinn who worked before him by permission of his Lord. And such of them as deviated from Our command, them We caused to taste the punishment of flaming Fire.  They made for him what he willed: synagogues and statues, basins like wells and boilers built into the ground. Give thanks, O House of David! Few of My bondmen are thankful."

038:30-33
"To David We gave Solomon (for a son),- How excellent in Our service! Ever did he turn (to Us)! Behold, there were brought before him, at eventide coursers of the highest breeding, and swift of foot; And he said, "Truly do I love the love of good, with a view to the glory of my Lord,"- until (the sun) was hidden in the veil (of night): "Bring them back to me." then began he to pass his hand over (their) legs and their necks."

PROPHET DAVID - A MIGHTY KINGDOM WAS GIVEN TO HIM

"We made his kingdom strong and gave him wisdom and decisive speech"

PROPHET ABRAHAM - GIVEN A MIGHTY KINGDOM

"Or are they jealous of mankind because of that which God of His bounty has bestowed upon them? For We bestowed upon the house of Abraham (of old) the Scripture and wisdom, and We bestowed on them a mighty kingdom."

SALIH HAD MUCH HOPE PLACED IN HIM - POSSIBLY FROM A WELL KNOWN / POWERFUL FAMILY

They said: O Salih! Thou hast been among us hitherto as that wherein our hope was placed. Dost thou ask us not to worship what our fathers worshipped ? Lo! we verily are in grave doubt concerning that to which thou callest us"

ZULQURNAIN WAS GIVEN POWER

"Verily We established his power on earth, and We gave him the ways and the means to all ends"

PROPHET JOSEPH WAS GIVEN POWER

012:001
"O my Lord! Thou hast given me (something) of sovereignty and hast taught me (something) of the interpretation of events - Creator of the heavens and the earth! Thou art my Protecting Guardian in the world and the Hereafter. Make me to die muslim (unto Thee), and join me to the righteous"

PROPHETIC CONTEMPORARIES PROMISED POWER AND GOVERNANCE

God has promised, to those among you (Arabic: minkum) who believe and do righteous deeds, that He will, surely grant them succession (Arabic: layasta-KHLIFA-nnahum) in the land, as He granted it to those before them; that He will surely establish for them their religion which he has approved from them; and that He will change, after the fear in which they (lived), to one of security and peace: 'They will worship Me (alone) and not associate anything with Me. 'If any do reject faith after this, they are rebellious and wicked."

SPEND ACCORDING TO YOUR MEANS - DIFFERENCE OF MEANS IS RECOGNISED

"Beautified for mankind is love of the joys (that come) from women and offspring; and stored-up heaps of gold and silver, and horses branded (with their mark), and cattle and land. That is comfort of the life of the world. Allah! With Him is a more excellent abode."

"Lodge them where ye dwell, according to your wealth..."

"It is no sin for you if ye divorce women while yet ye have not touched them, nor appointed unto them a portion. Provide for them, the rich according to his means, and the straitened according to his means, a fair provision. (This is) a bounden duty for those who do good"

DON'T MAKE WORLDLY DESIRES YOUR PRIMARY GOAL

"Beautified for mankind is love of the joys (that come) from women and offspring; and stored-up heaps of gold and silver, and horses branded (with their mark), and cattle and land. That is comfort of the life of the world. Allah! With Him is a more excellent abode."

If it is this world one is after and one’s striving and efforts are geared to achieve all its adornments, its material offerings, then any good one will do will be repaid to them in full in this world. They will have its pomp, their fancy cars, their comfortable living and its material offerings. They will not be wronged.

011.015 (part)
"Whoever desires the life of the world and its adornment / pomp, We shall repay in full them their deeds herein, and therein they will not be lessened"

But that will be it.

011.016 (part)
"Those are they for whom there is nothing in the Hereafter except the Fire..."

102.001-104
"Rivalry / Competition in worldly increase distracts / diverts you until you reach the graves. Nay! Soon you will come to know! Then Nay! Soon you will come to know!"

The life of this world is bound to perish and is nothing but a temporary illusion.

"And the life of this world is nothing but comfort / enjoyment of illusion" (3:185)

THEREFORE KEEP GOD'S BOUNTIES IN PERSPECTIVE AND SEEK THE BOUNTY OF GOD WITH BEST EFFORTS AND INTENTIONS

055:033
“O company of jinn and men, if ye have power to penetrate (all) regions of the heavens and the earth, then penetrate (them)! Ye will never penetrate them save with (Our) sanction”

“And when the Prayer is finished, then may ye disperse through the land, and seek of the Bounty of God: and celebrate the Praises of God often (and without stint): that ye may prosper”

CAREFUL BALANCE - GUIDANCE OF MODERATION

003:092
By no means shall you attain to righteousness until you spend (benevolently) out of what you love; and whatever thing you spend, God surely knows it.

Spend wisely - don't be miserly and also don't be extravagant in spending so that you have nothing left!

017:029
"And do not make your hand to be shackled to your neck nor stretch it forth to the utmost (limit) of its stretching forth, lest you should (afterwards) sit down blamed, stripped off."

025:067
"Those who, when they spend, are not extravagant and not niggardly, but hold a just (balance) between those (extremes)"

002:219 (part)
"And they ask you as to what they should spend. Say: What you can spare. Thus does God make clear to you the communications, that you may ponder"

002:177 (part)
"...righteousness is this that one should believe in God and the last day and the angels and the Book and the prophets, and give away wealth out of love for Him to the near of kin and the orphans and the needy and the wayfarer and the beggars and for (the emancipation of) the captives, and keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate; and the performers of their promise when they make a promise, and the patient in distress and affliction and in time of conflicts-- these are they who are true (to themselves) and these are they who guard (against evil)."

051:019
"And in their property was a portion due to him who begs and to him who is denied (good)"

Therefore, striving for worldly gains depends on one's intention. There are those that seek God's bounties so that they have greater means that they can share their wealth and means with others and the benefit of wider society. There are those that seek God's bounties to serve themselves in boast and rivalry. The two are not the same.

I hope this helps, God willing
Joseph

'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline ahmad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 06:05:41 PM »
Thank you brother Joseph for the detailed response.