Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: On the use of family name vs father's name as a surname

Offline Shahmatt

• View Profile
On the use of family name vs father's name as a surname
« on: August 04, 2014, 11:22:02 AM »

My wife and I are expecting our first baby soon and we are pondering on  surnames.

I understand that the Quran recommends strongly that a child be identified through use of his or her father's name.

However I would like to know if the use of a family name is allowable, i.e. a surname identifying the family of father. In our case the intent is to use and establish my father's name as a family name.

I see some advantages in doing this and also some cons. The cons mainly being that each new generation of kids will not carry a father's name but only a name identifying family.

Would this be in violation of Quranic principles? I would greatly appreciate any opinions on this matter.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: On the use of family name vs father's name as a surname
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 06:32:42 AM »
Wa alaikum assalam

My wife and I are expecting our first baby soon and we are pondering on  surnames.

Masha'Allah

I understand that the Quran recommends strongly that a child be identified through use of his or her father's name.

Unless there are exceptional needs, then in my humble view, there should be no secondary question dear Shahmatt. Who would dare attempt to validate any other opinion in the face of explicit Quranic text if they are truly believers?

"Call them by their fathers (name). That is most just in the sight of God / most near to God..." 33:5

As I am sure you will agree, we all remain fearful of the following verse:

"Have you seen him who takes his desires (passion, impulse, lust) (Arabic: Hawahu) for his God (Arabic: Illahahu)? Will you then be a protector over him?"

I respectfully cannot answer your question in a more honest, sincere and succinct way.

I hope this helps, God willing
Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Shahmatt

• View Profile
Re: On the use of family name vs father's name as a surname
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 12:33:12 PM »
Dear JI,

Indeed the Quran is explicit and clear.

Thank you very much for your clear answer.

Wassalam.