Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Is it Necessary to do 'Istinja' (Wash Our Parts)

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Is it Necessary to do 'Istinja' (Wash Our Parts)
« on: August 12, 2014, 07:13:34 AM »
As salaam alaikum sir

I have a question for you which is that is it compulsory for us to do sinja (I.e. to wash our parts) after every time we urinate? Because sir many tjme we don't get water and many time facilities are also not available.

Please sir clarify about it to me

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Is it Necessary to do 'Istinja' (Wash Our Parts)
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 07:16:23 AM »
Wa alaikum assalam

For an action to become 'compulsory' from a religious perspective, it would arguably need to be clearly expressed by the Quran. However, this does not mean that one does not take precautions and exercise best practice to protect the essence behind other compulsory commandments.

For example, in verse 5:6 one notes details of ablution and the intention is clearly stated by the Quran as:

"...God does not intend to place you in any difficulty, but He intends to make you clean / purify you (tahhara)..." (5:6)

Notwithstanding the element of spiritual cleanliness (which can also be partly inferred from tayammum - dry ablution 5:6; 4:43), the intention of such commandments is also to ensure physical cleanliness.

Therefore, it can be argued that such actions such as ‘Istinja’ or other actions such as ‘Istibra’ are 'best practices' (strongly advisable) as they assist to keep one physically clean.

Of course, if it is not possible to find appropriate facilities, one is only expected to do their best given their circumstances.

064:016
“So keep your duty to God as best you can / what you are able (Arabic: ma is’tata’tum), and listen, and obey, and spend; that is better for your souls. And whoso is saved from his own greed, such are the successful”

The Arabic word 'istata'a' means to be able, can or to be capable of. Therefore, given the above verse, one is only expected to do the best they can whilst striving in the way of God.

I hope this helps, God willing
Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell