Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Prophet Muhammad's superiority - Greater than all the Prophets

Offline IjazAhmad

• View Profile
Salamun Alaikum, Br. Joseph!  ;D

I hope you're not irritated by me, I'm asking many questions today ;D - Alhamdulillah! All your answers are always good/satisfying and to the point! God bless!

I found this from a Facebook group, so can you please make some comments on this:

Prophets, their authority and rank

According to the Holy Quran, all Prophets belong to God, and as such, in so far as their Divine authority is concerned, they exercise such authority with equal force and strength. No one has a right to discriminate between one Prophet and another.

[2:286] This Messenger of Ours believes in that which has been revealed to him from his Lord, and so do the believers: all of them believe in Allah, and in His angels, and in His Books, and in His Messengers, saying, ‘We make no distinction between any of His Messengers;’ and they say, ‘We hear, and we obey. We implore Thy forgiveness, O our Lord, and to Thee is the returning.’

As far as the authenticity of their message is concerned, all Prophets must be equal. But, if all Prophets are equal in authenticity must they also need be equal in rank? The same Holy Quran that declares that there is no difference as far as the authenticity of Messages from God are concerned between one Prophet of God and another, declares:

[2:254] These Messengers have We exalted, some of them above others: among them there are those to whom Allah spoke; and some of them He exalted by degrees of rank.

The Holy Quran admits that there are differences of status. Having accepted this proposition, one may wonder as to who should be considered as the highest in rank among the Prophets? It should be kept in mind that no religion other than
Islam recognizes the universality of prophet-hood. Anyway, the Holy Quran declares:

[33:41] Muhammad is not the father of any of your men, but (Arabic: Lakin) he is the Messenger of Allah and the Seal of the Prophets; and Allah has full knowledge of all things.

The Arabic word Khatam in this verse has many connotations but the essence of the title Khataman Nabiyyin is, without a shadow of doubt, to be the very best; the supreme; the final authority; the one who encompasses all and testifies to the truth of others.

Secondly, he uploaded a picture and it only had a text (about 33:41)
:
The Arabic word Lakin (but) has obviously been used as a word for rectification, which speaks of the fulfillment in a different form of something that has hitherto remained unfulfilled. In this context, the verse means that, though the holy Prophet (p) did not have any male offspring, he will have countless spiritual progeny, and that he is the 'seal of the Prophets', which means that no one will attain the exellence of prophethood unless he possesses the certificate of obedience to him. This is the connotation of this verse.

I've already read your articles:  Do Not Make Any Distinctions Between the Messengers of God and Exclusiveness of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh). But, now the fellow Sunnis are making distinction among the Prophets through this verse (33:41). Can you comment on this "article". Thanks!

Wassalam!
Ijaz, A.

Offline Mubashir

• View Profile
Re: Prophet Muhammad's superiority - Greater than all the Prophets
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 08:53:23 AM »
Salam Br Ijaz

While we wait for Br Joseph to respond, kindly visit the following website to check the translation of 33:40 by 40 different people have used the word/s  "Seal/end/last/Final" and not as "The best" :

http://islamawakened.com/quran/33/40/

If Allah wishes to rank some Messengers/Prophets higher than others, that is His business. We are told not to engage in such a practice.

From experience I know that the Ahmedis are the only ones to take the meaning of Khatam as "the ultimate/best" because it suits their agenda to accept Mirza Ghulam Ahmed Qadiani as a Nabi/Promised Messiah/Mahdi etc.

Regards

Offline Seraphina

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 09:36:18 AM »
Salam to all,
I'm a new forum member, and while we await for brother Joseph's response, I'd take this opportunity to engage in the discussion, since this is a over-discussed topic among my other muslim relatives and friends.
In my humble opinion and my limited knowledge, yes, God chose some prophets above the others, like for example, some of the prophets brought written law/scripture of God to their people, while others were mere warners or leaders without a written scripture. Also, God knows best which one of them faced more strugle during the deliverance of the message.
But as far as we (mankind) are concerned, their message was the same, verbal or written - all the prophets delivered the same message to mankind. So, our respect and obedience is the same for all of the messingers who did a great work to bring the truth, the only truth,the absolute truth to humankind.
As for their rank, God knows best and it's not for us to make distinctions among them.
And Allah knows best,
Salam to all :)
"Say:"O my slaves who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah: for Allah forgives all sins: for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 04:42:14 AM »
Dear Ijaz,

Wa alaikum assalam

Please see my responses in red italics below.

I hope this helps, God willing
Joseph

Salamun Alaikum, Br. Joseph!  ;D

Wa alaikum assalam

I hope you're not irritated by me, I'm asking many questions today ;D - Alhamdulillah! All your answers are always good/satisfying and to the point! God bless!

I found this from a Facebook group, so can you please make some comments on this:

Prophets, their authority and rank

According to the Holy Quran, all Prophets belong to God, and as such, in so far as their Divine authority is concerned, they exercise such authority with equal force and strength. No one has a right to discriminate between one Prophet and another.

[2:286] This Messenger of Ours believes in that which has been revealed to him from his Lord, and so do the believers: all of them believe in Allah, and in His angels, and in His Books, and in His Messengers, saying, ‘We make no distinction between any of His Messengers;’ and they say, ‘We hear, and we obey. We implore Thy forgiveness, O our Lord, and to Thee is the returning.’

As far as the authenticity of their message is concerned, all Prophets must be equal. But, if all Prophets are equal in authenticity must they also need be equal in rank?

The same Holy Quran that declares that there is no difference as far as the authenticity of Messages from God are concerned between one Prophet of God and another, declares:

[2:254] These Messengers have We exalted, some of them above others: among them there are those to whom Allah spoke; and some of them He exalted by degrees of rank.

The actual verse number is 2:253 (not 254). In this verse, God makes it clear that some of His agents are exalted over others. However, this complete knowledge is only with God. There is absolutely no instruction in the Quran for believers to argue over these ranks or infer them in any manner whatsoever. Believers are unequivocally instructed not to draw any distinctions between God's messengers in a number of other verses. Without explicit elucidation, this clearly implies any manner whatsoever. The only prophet mentioned in this verse is prophet Jesus. The other agents inferred are those that God spoke with. From what we know from the Quran, Prophet Moses would be one such example. However, no name is given. There is absolutely no mention of Prophet Muhammad in this verse.

The Holy Quran admits that there are differences of status. Indeed. But the Quran also does not elucidate those ranks. This knowledge is with God and each messenger / agent of God will be judged individually given their own actions and their own merits. "Then surely We will question those to whom (Our messengers / message) had been sent, and verily We shall question the messengers." (7:6). With respect, we have no business in attempting to find out these ranks.

Having accepted this proposition, one may wonder as to who should be considered as the highest in rank among the Prophets?  And this is where from a Quranic perspective, it can be argued that this assertion is a theological transgression. Why would one need to wonder as to who should be the highest rank when the Quran has intentionally not mentioned it and chosen to remain silent? Why should one wonder about any superfluous details that the Quran has intentionally not provided? This is arguably not a Quran-centric approach but one geared to satisfy one's own desires and to support sectarian beliefs (confirmation bias) which do not originate from the Quran.

Those that hold such views are respectfully advised to reach out and consult verses where it has been made unequivocally clear to rely on CLEAR MATTERS.

For example:

The story of the sleepers in the cave is a Quranic narrative captured between verses 18:9-26 that many Muslims are readily able to identify with. The story focuses on a group of righteous believers who took refuge in a cave after fleeing and slept a great number of years unbeknown to them. When they awoke, it was if they had lost all concept of time and had slept a mere part of the day where in fact, they had tarried for many centuries.

Out of the many messages that can be derived from this narrative, an immediate inference from the story connects very well with other parts of the Quran. For example, is this narrative posited to aid one's understanding of death and resurrection where after death, one feels only a small blip in time to resurrection regardless of the centuries or millennia's that have passed in between? This certainly seems to be supported by the following verse.

017:052
"On the day when He will call you forth, then shall you obey Him, giving Him praise, and you will think that you tarried but a little (while)"

There is much else that can be extracted as insight and wisdom from this narrative.

However, we also note the following from the narrative with regards the cave sleepers.

WHAT IS NOT IMPORTANT

018:010            How long they slept. Only God knows.
018:021            What disputes arose amongst the people as to their affair.
018:022            Some say there were 3 sleepers, 4th being the dog, some 5, 6th being the dog, some say 7, 8th being the dog. Only God knows the numbers.  The reader is then clearly informed "Enter not, therefore, into controversies concerning them, except on a matter that is clear, nor consult any of them about (the affair of) the Sleepers"
018:025            How long did they sleep? Some say 300, some 309. God does not reveal the number. It is not deemed important. Only God knows best how long they slept.

Please note 18:22

"...Do not argue / enter into controversies about them except with an argument / matter clear / obvious (zahir)"

This wisdom / guidance is also inferred in the following verse where it is intimated that believers should only be concerned with information that they are given clearly.

"They are asking thee concerning the Spirit (Arabic: ruhi). Say: The Spirit is by command of my Lord (Arabic: ruh min-amr), and of knowledge ye have been vouchsafed but little."

Therefore, to draw unnecessary inferences from various verses despite clear guidance against it is arguably, wholly unwarranted.

It should be kept in mind that no religion other than Islam recognizes the universality of prophet-hood. This is an ambiguous statement and would need clarification. Anyway, the Holy Quran declares:

[33:41] Muhammad is not the father of any of your men, but (Arabic: Lakin) he is the Messenger of Allah and the Seal of the Prophets; and Allah has full knowledge of all things.

The Arabic word Khatam in this verse has many connotations but the essence of the title Khataman Nabiyyin is, without a shadow of doubt, to be the very best; the supreme; the final authority; the one who encompasses all and testifies to the truth of others. With respect, there is no unequivocal supporting evidence for this perspective in the Quran. The Arabic word 'Khaatam(a)' signifies a seal, or more accurately, an object used to seal or to put an impression of a signet on a writing or book. This endows it with a covering, an act of securing and implies the reaching of an end. This term's usage is even more significant when understood in the light of Prophet Muhammad's ministry which was to deliver the final message of God. Here the relationship of a signet or stamp to impress on a book to imply the ending of such a message cannot simply be overlooked. I have discussed this phrase in more detail in the article [2] below.

Secondly, he uploaded a picture and it only had a text (about 33:41):
The Arabic word Lakin (but) has obviously been used as a word for rectification, which speaks of the fulfillment in a different form of something that has hitherto remained unfulfilled. In this context, the verse means that, though the holy Prophet (p) did not have any male offspring, he will have countless spiritual progeny, and that he is the 'seal of the Prophets', which means that no one will attain the exellence of prophethood unless he possesses the certificate of obedience to him. This is the connotation of this verse.

With respect, this is nothing but the author's own interpolations and seeming outlandish interpretations, which finds little or no support from the Quran. Such an interpretation once again, seems to be borne out of a need to seek confirmation bias to support extant sectarian beliefs.

I've already read your articles:  Do Not Make Any Distinctions Between the Messengers of God and Exclusiveness of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh). But, now the fellow Sunnis are making distinction among the Prophets through this verse (33:41). Can you comment on this "article". Thanks!

Wassalam!
Ijaz, A.

REFERENCES:

[1] UNKNOWN TOWNS AND NAMES - WHY FILL IN THE GAPS?
http://quransmessage.com/articles/unknown%20towns%20and%20names%20FM3.htm
[2] END OF PROPHETHOOD - CONTINUATION OF MESSENGERS?
http://quransmessage.com/articles/end%20of%20prophethood%20FM3.htm
[3] EXCLUSIVENESS OF PROPHET MUHAMMAD (pbuh)
http://quransmessage.com/articles/exclusiveness%20of%20prophet%20muhammad%20FM3.htm
[4] THE SUPERIORITY OF PROPHET MUHAMMAD'S (pbuh) MISSION
http://quransmessage.com/articles/mission%20superiority%20FM3.htm
[5] DO NOT MAKE ANY DISTINCTIONS BETWEEN THE MESSENGERS OF GOD
http://quransmessage.com/articles/do%20not%20make%20distinctions%20between%20messengers%20FM3.htm
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell