Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Is Hair Cutting Forbidden for Women?

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Is Hair Cutting Forbidden for Women?
« on: August 23, 2014, 02:39:54 AM »
Peace be with you my brother Joseph,

First of all I seek your forgiveness for disturbing you, and I also seek Allah almighty to reward you in this world and in the hereafter for all of your beautiful work regarding the primary and secondary sources, from which I've had a huge benefit.

I have a question regarding hair cutting. I've been told that hair cutting is completely forbidden, or that it is allowed only below the shoulders, or that it is forbidden to imitate men or disbelieving women while cutting them.

Actually I hate imitating men in any way, but I have very thin and bad-quality hair which grows really slowly and breaks quite easily, that's why I grow them below the shoulders and I cut it in layers (front part near face), and sometimes with fringe. But every time I  hear the comments like: ''Prophet has cursed women who cut their hair like you do'' , ''You'll never even hear the smell of paradise'', etc. I become a bit frustrated.

My intention was never to imitate neither men nor disbelieving women.

What's your point of view on this issue?

Kind regards,
May Allah bless & reward you!

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Is Hair Cutting Forbidden for Women?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 02:58:43 AM »
Dear Sister,

Wa alaikum assalam

Thank you for your kind words and prayers, Alhumdolillah.

Comments such as: ''Prophet has cursed women who cut their hair like you do'', ''You'll never even hear the smell of paradise'' or “hair cutting is completely forbidden” are purely opinions based on fallible secondary sources. They have no support from the Quran.

The Quran provides guidance of what it deems as appropriate coverage [1] and how believers are advised to behave and interact. [2]

You also clearly have no intention to ‘imitate men’ in any manner, thus these statements have no purpose other than to burden women. The result unfortunately, is that religion is made difficult for them.

I hope this helps, God willing.
Joseph

REFERENCES:

[1] HIJAAB
http://quransmessage.com/articles/hijaab%20FM3.htm
[2] FREE MIXING OR RIGHTEOUS INTERACTION?
http://quransmessage.com/articles/free%20mixing%20or%20righteous%20interaction%20FM3.htm
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell