Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: 'Khalaqa' & 'Qun fa-yaqoon'

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
'Khalaqa' & 'Qun fa-yaqoon'
« on: August 23, 2014, 03:10:07 AM »
Dear brother Joseph Islam

I wonder if it is right: When Quran uses term "Khalaq or Khalaqa" there it gives sense of time. But when it mentions events using term "Qun fa-yaqoon" then such events do not involve time (be and it is)?

Thank you

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: 'Khalaqa' & 'Qun fa-yaqoon'
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 03:20:49 AM »
As-salam alaykum

I do not feel that making a direct comparison between a 'word' and a 'phrase' in this context will necessarily be helpful as there are overlapping nuances.

For example, the Quran makes use of the term 'khalaqa' in reference to what is in the womb of women (2:228) which does give a sense of time, but then also makes use of the same word to speak about the creation of the heavens and the earth (e.g. 10:3; 14:19) which as you will appreciate, we only know as broadly being 'six day / periods / epochs'.  [1]

As far as the command 'Kun fayakun' is concerned, I have posited in another article regarding 'evolution' as thus:

"Gods' command (Be, and it is - Arabic: kun fayakun) should not necessarily be seen as instantaneous or mutually exclusive from the concept of a periodic evolutionary cycle. It is merely a command that can be instituted as a precursor to a complete evolutionary process which may take aeons to complete. This is clear from the formation of the Heavens and the Earth. 

002:117
"(The) Originator of the heavens and the Earth, and when He decrees an affair, He only says to it, Be, and it is (Arabic: Kun Fayakun)""
  [2]

Thus nothing these examples, the comparison you respectfully share may not be apt.

I hope this helps, God willing.
Joseph

REFERENCES:

[1] CREATION OF THE UNIVERSE IN SIX PERIODS - An illustration of the creation of the Heavens and the Earth in six periods with verse references
http://quransmessage.com/charts%20and%20illustrations/six%20periods/six%20periods%20FM2.htm
[2] THEORY OF EVOLUTION AND THE QURAN
http://quransmessage.com/articles/evolution%20FM3.htm
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell