Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: treatment of animals

Offline HOPE

• View Profile
treatment of animals
« on: October 03, 2014, 03:25:17 AM »
Peace to you all,

I want to share with you two opposing views on the subject of animal sacrifice to please God. 

1.  http://www.iiph.com/blog/2-uncategorised/51-animal-sacrifice-in-islam-an-act-of-worship-not-cruelty

2.  http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/anila-muhammad/animal-muslim-eid_b_1971072.html

Salaam 
"Hope is like a bird that senses the dawn and carefully starts to sing while it is still dark"

Offline iamqasim

• View Profile
Re: treatment of animals
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 08:34:24 PM »
wise full words ... JazakALLAH

Offline zara

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 10:49:30 PM »
The second article really got me thinking.It would be interesting to hear other people's opinion regarding this issue.Thank you for sharing.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 01:02:34 AM »
As-salamu alaykum

I personally find no linkage of prophet Abraham's 'test' with the requirement of Hajj in the Quran in which a sacrifice is offered. [1] Animal Sacrifice is a part of the Hajj ritual (22:36-37) [2]

"The sacrificial camels / cattle (al-bud'na) We have made for you as among the symbols from God. In them is (much) good for you. So mention the name of God over them as they line up (for sacrifice): when they are down on their sides (after slaughter), then eat from them and feed the needy who do not ask and the needy who do ask. Thus have We made them (animals) subject to you, that you may be grateful"

God is not in need. The reason for the sacrifice is so that one can glorify God for the bounties He has granted, the guidance He has given and to proclaim good news. It is only one's piety that reaches God, not the meat or its blood.

"It is not their meat nor their blood, that reaches God: it is your piety that reaches Him: He has thus made them subject to you, that you may glorify God for His Guidance to you and proclaim glad tidings to all who do right"

Please also see post [3] below where I have discussed the term 'bud'na' in verse 22:36.

Finally, I humbly find from the Quran that the sacrifice is only compulsory for those who complete Hajj. Outside that any offering (of any kind) would be charity [4].

I hope that helps a little at least from my perspective, God willing.
Joseph

REFERENCES:

[1] Prophet Abraham's Test
http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=57
[2] THE HAJJ AND UMRAH ACCORDING TO THE QURAN
http://quransmessage.com/articles/hajj%20FM3.htm
[3] Verse 22:36 and Sacrificial Camels
http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=1425.0
[4] Is sacrifice compulsory for those not performing Hajj?
http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=45.0
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline HOPE

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 01:34:15 AM »
Salutes and respect,

My position is closer to the second view than the first.  By favoring this view, I do not want to give the impression that 
 God prescribes "cruel practices"

Progressiveness in my opinion is a very misunderstood concept in that it is often interpreted as making compromises in the rules and regulations of the deen as practiced.  As the Quran points out what if the ‘awwalun” were not guided and we follow blindly in their footsteps?

This article also points out that 31.6% thought the animal sacrifice was a meaningful practice, whereas 68.4% perceived it as an inhuman practice.

I’d like to think progressiveness as part of the evolution.  Evolution has physical, mental and spiritual aspects just like the composition of a human being.  Survival of the fittest concept or adapting to the changing conditions of the environment is physical.  I’m hoping that we are also evolving on the mental and spiritual levels as well. 

"Momentous" sacrifice interpretation resonates with me.  I'd like to read br. Joseph's analysis of the word, if I may.

Thanks for the interest,

Peace
"Hope is like a bird that senses the dawn and carefully starts to sing while it is still dark"

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 02:12:36 AM »
Dear Hope,

As-salamu alaykum

Thank you for your comments and soliciting my opinion on the word / phrase in question. However, before I part with my humble opinion, I would respectfully like to draw your attention to my last post where I attempted to disconnect Prophet Abraham's trial with the need to sacrifice on the Hajj pilgrimage (22:36-37).

There is no explicit connection. One does not slaughter an animal because Prophet Abraham did during his personal trial. These impressions are sought from Islamic secondary sources and not the Quran.

From a Quran's perspective, the sacrifice is part of the Hajj ritual and not in memory of Prophet Abraham's trial. This is often a misconception.

As far as the term 'bidhib'hin azim' (37:107) is concerned, the word ‘azim’ simply means 'great' or 'mighty’ and the word ‘dhibh’ simply means 'a sacrifice' or 'something which is slaughtered'. The verb from the same root 'dhabaha' also means to slaughter or to sacrifice no different to what the Children of Israel were asked to do as recorded in Surah Baqarah (i.e. to sacrifice a heifer – 2:67; 2:71).

Hence: a great / mighty sacrifice.

It is important to remember however, that a contingent of the audience of the Quran were also those of the previous scriptures who would have been familiar with the story and the sacrifice of the ram from their own Scriptures (Genesis 22).

However, just to reiterate that from a Quran's perspective, whatever prophet Abraham sacrificed as part of his trial with God has nothing to do with the sacrifice that is demanded of pilgrims during Hajj, at least from a purely Quranic perspective.

I hope that clarifies, God willing.
Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline HOPE

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 02:52:46 AM »
Peace,

Thank you Joseph for your explanation and patience.