Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Before or after resurrection 22:2

Offline Hamzeh

• View Profile
Before or after resurrection 22:2
« on: December 11, 2014, 01:15:03 PM »
Asalamu Alykum Br. Joseph Islam

I was reading a response from you today which says

"However, the Quran is explicit that earthly relationships will be severed on the Day of Judgment. A nursing mother will forget what she was nursing; a pregnant mother will want to drop her own child in her womb and will want nothing to do with it (22:2)."

(22:1-2)
1.O mankind, fear your Lord. Indeed, the convulsion of the [final] Hour is a terrible thing.
2.On the Day you see it every nursing mother will be distracted from that [child] she was nursing, and every pregnant woman will abort her pregnancy, and you will see the people [appearing] intoxicated while they are not intoxicated; but the punishment of Allah is severe.

I have always been curious about when this actually happens, not the actually time of it( As only God knows when) but at what stage? is it the time that the last generation of people will witness and only God knows when? Or is it actually when every one dies and then gets resurrected again? As I noticed you mentioned Day of Judgment. Could it be that the Day of Judgement probably starts when the last generation of people witness the ending and since no good a person does will avail him so therefore Judgement has started at the point of the ending of the world or the earthquake mentioned in 99:01?

Curious because, if its after everyone dies and then gets resurrected then I imagine that women will be resurrected pregnant and/or nursing. So I would assume its before the resurrection that 22:2 would be implying, not sure?

your brother in faith

Peace

Hamzeh

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Before or after resurrection 22:2
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 12:49:24 AM »
Dear Hamzeh,

Wa alaikum assalam

I have decided to provide a more comprehensive answer as I feel that there is at times, some confusion with regards the events that will befall and overlapping terminologies. I trust that this will be of some help to not only your kind self, but the wider readership too in due course, God willing.

The Quran often refers to a 'Sur' that is blown. which is usually rendered as a 'trumpet' by popular translations (hereon referred to as: 'Sur') [1].

What is at times not appreciated properly is that according to the Quran, the 'Sur' event occurs twice. From a Quran's perspective at least, it is important to distinguish which 'Sur' the Quran is referring to in a particular verse as they deal with the onset of two very different events.

Please note that 'yaum' (day) in the Quran merely implies any period in which something occurs or a particular event befalls. For example, the heavens and the earth were created in 6 ayyam (periods / epochs).

Thus from a Quran's perspective:

• The first 'Sur' will bring the heavens and the earth to an end.  A total annihilation. The stars are destroyed / put out. Mountains are blown away / ground to powder. The earth is violently shaken etc. (77:8-10; 69:14; 99:1-2).
  • After the total annihilation, the second 'Sur' will bring forth all from their graves (i.e. Resurrection) (36:51; 50:20; 78:18; 20:102; 23:101). This will initiate the 'event' (Waqiya) as everyone is summoned to their Lord for the ultimate judgment (Surah 56).

039:068
"And the trumpet is blown (Sur), and all who are in the heavens and all who are in the earth swoon away, except whom God wills. Then it is blown a second time, and behold! They (will be) standing waiting!"

Therefore, there is a marked distinction between the first 'Sur' and the second 'Sur'. It may well be that between the first and second 'Sur', the heavens and the earth will be recreated for the next stage of God's plan, irrespective of our concept of time (as souls will remain asleep / dead).

021:104-105
“(The) Day We will fold the heaven like the folding of a scroll for records. As We began the first creation, (so shall) We repeat it; a promise binding on Us.  Indeed, We are the Doers (We shall certainly fulfil it). And verily, We have written in the Psalms after the reminder, that (as for) the land, My righteous slaves will inherit it.

003:133
“And hasten to forgiveness from your Lord; and a Garden, the extensiveness (its width) of which (is like that of) the heavens and the earth, prepared for those who guard (against evil) / the pious / righteous”.

When the time / final period (hereon: hour - Sa'ah) arrives prior to the annihilation of the entire Universe and the Day of Judgement, there will be an immense commotion. The Quran describes this as a very calamitous and bitter period (54:46). No one apart from God knows when that hour will befall. Believers are to only treat it as 'imminent' (7:187; 53:57-58; 12:107; 43:66; 33:63; 42:17). Believers are also expected by the Quran not to delve in ascertaining its knowledge (79:42-44). However, When the 'hour' does finally arrive, the intensity of the period will be so violent (zalzala - 22:1), that nursing mothers will indeed forget their nurslings and pregnant mothers will drop their loads. Humankind will almost be in an intoxicated, befogged state (22:2). It will even turn the hair of children grey (73:17). It is quite possible that this is the period in which Gog and Magog are also unleashed (18:99).

The Hour will bring forth (as a harbinger of) the end (the onset of the first Sur) which is then subsequently followed after the second ‘Sur’ by the Day of Judgment (30:14; 30:55).

The Quran seems to suggest that the 'hour' will be preceded by the splitting of the moon, or that the moon splitting will bring forth the onset of the calamity of the hour (54:1).

Thus arguably, we have the following timeline:

• The moon is split prior to the 'final period' (the hour - Sa'ah) / coincides with the onset of the 'final period', the hour (Sa'ah) - 54:1.
  • The calamitous, bitter, violent hour arrives. Gog and Magog are unleashed (18:99). The sky with visible smoke will envelope people (44:10-11). The intensity of the period will be so violent (zalzala - 22:1), that nursing mothers will indeed forget their nurslings and pregnant mothers will drop their loads. Humankind will almost be in an intoxicated, befogged state (22:2). It will even turn the hair of children grey (73:17). There is immense commotion amongst mankind. The 'final period' (hour) arrives before and extends to and includes the Day of Judgment. Hence, the 'final period' (hour) can also be seen as a harbinger of the Day of Judgment.
  • The first 'Sur' brings an end (a total annihilation) to the heavens and the earth (e.g. The stars are destroyed / put out / mountains are blown away / ground to powder / the earth is violently shaken - 77:8-10; 69:14).
  • A new Universe is created / recreated (21:104; 3:133). [Epochs undetermined and in a manner that suits God / by His will].
  • The second 'Sur' summons all from the dead to their Lord (i.e. resurrection).
  • The event (Waqiya) will befall - The Day of Judgment in front of the Lord (Master of the Day of Judgment). The earth / land will convulse immensely (zulzila, zilzal - 99:1) and she will be able to declare her tidings (99:4) because she will be inspired to do so by God (99:5). This is possibly a reference to the earth being able to allow all those that have perished since Adam to be issued forth to the judgment (99:6). It is on this day that mankind will be sorted with a view to be shown their deeds (99:6). It is here that mankind will be in three broad classes (56:6). The righteous will inherit the land (21:105).

Those who have already passed away will arguably not be part of the violent commotion of the hour (sa'ah) nor will they experience the first 'Sur' which will result in the total annihilation of the Universe.  They will however be resurrected by the second 'Sur' which will summon all to their Lord.

I hope that helps, God willing
Joseph

REFERENCE:

[1] THE TRUMPET IS BLOWN OR IS IT?
http://quransmessage.com/articles/the%20trumpet%20is%20blown%20or%20is%20it%20FM3.htm
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Hamzeh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 07:04:41 AM »
Peace be upon you

Thank you for your help and response on the subject.  I hope it may be of help to others as well as it was to me Insha'Allah.

Jazak Allah Khair

Offline QM Moderators Team

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 12:43:57 AM »
As the original poster is satisfied with the response asked of brother Joseph, this thread is now closed.

Any further discussions have been moved to the following separate thread:

Before or after resurrection 22:2 - Further Discussions
http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=1474.0

Please also see related Facebook posts by brother Joseph Islam below:

A BASIC QURANIC TIMELINE DEALING WITH THE ONSET OF THE FINAL HOUR AND RESURRECTION:
https://www.facebook.com/joseph.a.islam/posts/515488978588234

THE UNWARRANTED INFATUATION WITH SEEKING KNOWLEDGE OF THE FINAL HOUR
https://www.facebook.com/joseph.a.islam/posts/494897590647373

Thank you