Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Marijuana and Cannabis

Offline Lobotomize94

• View Profile
Marijuana and Cannabis
« on: December 12, 2014, 07:01:11 AM »
The Quran states that you should not pray while intoxicated.

I'm wondering what constitutes intoxication?

I've been prescribed medical marijuana for treatment of my panic disorder, now is this islamically speaking an intoxicant?

The alternative to marijuana is xanax, which also causes some form of altered state of consciousness--it literally changes the neurotransmitters in your brain so the panic disorder goes away, you actually feel happier and different...

So, should a Muslim avoid praying under any medicine that treats psychological disorders, or would you argue that the psychological disorder (let's say schizophrenia) is itself an intoxicated state and the medicine makes you sober and sane and thus you MUST pray with the medicine if you have schizophrenia?

Many pharmaceuticals may cause drowsiness and an altered state of mind from your original mind state. At what point do they constitute intoxication?

As you can see, this is a very complex topic and I'm wondering if I should just do away with all psychological drugs and just go through cognitive behavioral therapy alone?

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
Re: Marijuana and Cannabis
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 10:58:15 AM »
The Ayah says not to pray when your mind is befogged. Therefore when you take such medicine which
fogghs your mind don't try to pray. Or take such medicare immediately after Fajar so that you may be
OK by Zuhur time. If you can consult your doctor about taking medicine. Pray only when you are not
medicated. You must be sober & understand what you are saying.
May entire creation be filled with Peace & Joy & Love & Light

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
Re: Marijuana and Cannabis
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 11:01:36 AM »
The Ayah says not to pray when your mind is befogged. Therefore when you take such medicine which
fogghs your mind don't try to pray. Or take such medicare immediately after Fajar so that you may be
OK by Zuhur time. If you can consult your doctor about taking medicine. Pray only when you are not
medicated. You must be sober & understand what you are saying.
May entire creation be filled with Peace & Joy & Love & Light