Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Aggressive (Mis)Translations

Offline Reader Comments

• View Profile
Aggressive (Mis)Translations
« on: November 23, 2011, 01:14:52 AM »
Dear Mr. Joseph,

Salaam Alaykum,

While going through your article under WOMEN Aggressive (mis)translation, I am referring to

(ii)  STAY FIXED IN YOUR HOME?

whereas Q R R can be
Qaf-Ra-Ra = To remain quiet, be steadfast, be firm, refresh, be stable, affirm, agree, settle, last. Qarar - stability, a fixed or secure place, depository, place ahead

But I note in the AYAT , it is Q  R R N, which may be very much different than Q R R in Arabic. You seem to have missed (N) after QRR , which may make difference in meaning!!!!

Can you elaborate on this?

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Aggressive (Mis)Translations
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 01:18:39 AM »
Walaikum salaam

The Arabic word 'Qarna' is formed from the triliteral root Q-R-R (Not Q-R-R-N)

The 'N' that you refer to not part of the verb. It is a pronoun which refers to a subject.

Please see illustration attached.

The QARRA (form 1) in verse 33:33 is an imperative verb (instructive) and has the same nuanced meaning as in 19:26 when it was said to Mary "So eat and drink and be 'Qari-i'" (Be comforted / cooled, consoled, refreshed etc).

The triliteral root Qaf-Ra-Ra means  to remain quiet, be steadfast, be firm, refresh, be stable, affirm, agree, settle, last. Qarar - stability, a fixed or secure place, depository, place ahead

With respect, I think you may have missed the grammatical construction of the term which includes the verb but also a separate pronoun. However, I hope the above clarifies this.

I hope this helps.
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell