Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: The opening verses of Surah Al Baqarah

Offline Hamzeh

• View Profile
The opening verses of Surah Al Baqarah
« on: December 13, 2014, 01:38:04 PM »
Asalamu Alykum

I was pondering over the opening verses of Surah Al Baqarah, and trying to understand them from the lens of a person who has no knowledge or history of the Quran or Islam.

2:2-6...
2.This is the Book; in it is guidance sure, without doubt, to those who fear Allah;
3.Who believe in the Unseen, are steadfast in prayer, and spend out of what We have provided for them
4.And who believe in the Revelation sent to thee, and sent before thy time, and (in their hearts) have the assurance of the Hereafter.
5.They are on (true) guidance, from their Lord, and it is these who will prosper.
6.As to those who reject Faith, it is the same to them whether thou warn them or do not warn them; they will not believe.

It seems like this was how God has introduced the guidance to the people at the time of the prophet Muhammad who directly took the Book after him. To the people amongst the prophet who were to carry out the message to the world. As the prophet was a witness to them and they were a witness to the rest.

It seems every detail of how God carried out his plan to spread the Message was perfect and in perfect timing and all done through one divine Book. The superiority of the Quran did so much.

It introduced its self to the prophet himself and guided him and expected him to believe in what was coming to him.
It gave him the procedures and expectations to introduce himself to his community.
It showed the prophet how to take a covenant with his people before the Quran was fully revealed to them.
It brought them in measured time and through obstacles the truth from the Lord. And tested the people amongst him through patience and worldly pleasures and loses.
And finally after the Quran was fully revealed and placed in the order that we have it today, it assured the next generation of people after the Prophet who feared the Lord, who believed in the unseen, and performed prayer and gave zakat and believe in the Quran and what went before it and believe in the hereafter, that they are on true Guidance from the Lord, and that they are the ones that will prosper.

Does it make sense they way I can understand these verses? I would assume also one would need the above background knowledge if thats correct to take the opening verses to mean lots to the generation at the time of the Prophet who were entrusted with the Book. Im not limiting the interpretations to just that. But I can imagine how it speaks to them very much or in the first instance.

Just some thoughts

Any thoughts?

May God Bless Us All

Salam