Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Visions of the Future

Offline chadiga

• View Profile
Visions of the Future
« on: November 23, 2011, 04:05:00 AM »
Brother Joseph said that Prophet Muhammad-peace be upon him, may have been inspired by dreams. As I come to another question, which really is not about the compilation of the Quran, but employs me  a long time. visions of the future (Ahadith) of Prophet Muhammad are -from the traditional side  declared as "real" dreams. So my question:
1-Are the dreams of the prophets always true?
2-Could emerge as future-visions?
For me it is a paradox, as is clear in the Qur'an that Prophet Muhammad did not know anything about the future. However, dreams are sometimes addressed clearly in the future and also hold true ... (For example, I have my "transgresses" to Islam before dreamed of and also the reaction of my family)

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Visions of the Future
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 09:52:22 AM »
Salamun Alaikum Chadiga,

If Prophetic dreams were always true, then why would Prophet Abraham have to consult his son about his dream if he knew that any dream that he received was without question true? (37:102).

Future events can be shown to Prophets such as the examples shown with regards Prophet Joseph (12:4) and Prophet Muhammad (48:27). Sometimes Prophet's themselves only realise the true meaning of their dreams much later in life (12:100)

But visions of the future are not just restricted to the Prophet or believers. The King in Prophet Joseph's story was shown a dream which represented a future event (12:43) as were those in the prison with Prophet Joseph (12:36).

Sometimes dreams are strong representations of a future event but aren't always represented accurately in a dream (for many reasons). An example is noted in verse 8:43 (...showed in your dream as few and if He had shown them to you as many surely you would have lost courage ...)

I hope this helps, God willing.

Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline chadiga

• View Profile
Re: Visions of the Future
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 12:36:42 AM »
yes it does. thank you! :)

UPDATE BY QM FORUM MODERATOR

12th March 2013

This thread is now closed and a direct link to this post is now available at the dedicated Q&A page.

http://quransmessage.com/articles/q&as%20FM3.htm

Thanks.