Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Was Prophet Muhammad pbuh also a KhalilAllah?

Offline Seraphina

• View Profile
Was Prophet Muhammad pbuh also a KhalilAllah?
« on: November 24, 2014, 05:44:15 AM »
Selam to everyone,
First of all, I apologize if I'm bringing up a subject which is over-treated. It's not my intention to waste anyone's time and effort. But, since this forum is the only place where I am given a clear, logical, Quran-based answer, I thought I will treat this subject here.
I've been reading the books of Amr Khaled for a while now, and, although I've noticed him being heavily-influenced from secondary sources, I like his books up to a certain point. Recently, I've been reading the "Stories of the prophets". There are many things which I disagree with, but I will focus on only one. During the story of prophet Ibrahim pbuh, he says that after reaching the rank of the Allah's beloved slave, then there is the rank of Allah's friend, but we (ordinary people) can't reach it, because that grade was only reached from prophet Ibrahim and prophet Muhammad pbut.
Now, I have read the articles of brother Joseph regarding the ranks of messengers, and I agree with him 100% (Ibrahim is the only prophet mentioned in the Quran as 'friend of Allah'), but still, I wonder if there's something I've missed. On what basis would a well-learned person like Amr Khaled make such a statement? Only on secondary sources? Would it be too much if I asked for your opinions, dear brothers/sisters?
Yazakallah in advance,
Selam alaikoum :)
Sorry if I disturbed
"Say:"O my slaves who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah: for Allah forgives all sins: for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Was Prophet Muhammad pbuh also a KhalilAllah?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 08:50:29 AM »
Dear Seraphina,

As-salamu alaykum

From a Quran's perspective, I would respectfully argue that there is absolutely no support for such assertions. One simple question that would ask the author to prove his assertions wholly and unequivocally from the Quran would suffice to make this point clear.

God has indeed informed us that there are ranks with Him, but has not provided us any more information as regards to what those ranks are in order of importance. Verse 2:252 makes this absolutely clear.

002:253
“We have made some of these messengers to excel the others among them are they to whom God spoke, and some of them He exalted by rank / degrees (Arabic: Darajatin); and We gave clear miracles to Jesus son of Mary, and strengthened him with the Holy spirit. And if God had pleased, those after them would not have fought one with another after clear arguments had come to them, but they disagreed; so there were some of them who believed and others who denied; and if God had pleased they would not have fought one with another, but God brings about what He intends”

One immediately notes the following from the above verse:

• There is no mention as to what the ranks are in order of importance
  • There is no mention as to which agent of God occupies the highest rank

However, we are explicitly taught by the Quran as a pillar of faith, not to distinguish between the messengers and sadly, this is one thing, many traditionalists do as a matter of religious conviction.

002:136           
Say: We believe in God and that which had been revealed to us, and that which was revealed to Abraham and Ishmael and Isaac and Jacob and the tribes, and that which was given to Moses and Jesus, and that which was given to the prophets from their Lord, we do not make any distinction (Arabic: Nufarriqu) between any of them, and to Him do we submit.

002:285           
The messenger believes in what has been revealed to him from his Lord, and (so do) the believers; they all believe in God and His angels and His books and His messengers; We make no difference (Arabic: Nufarriqu) between any of His messengers; and they say: We hear and obey, our Lord! Thy forgiveness (do we crave), and to Thee is the eventual course.

003:084           
Say: "We believe in God, and in what has been revealed to us and what was revealed to Abraham, Ishmael, Isaac, Jacob, and the Tribes, and in (the Books) given to Moses, Jesus, and the prophets, from their Lord: We make no distinction (Arabic: Nufarriqu) between one and another among them, and to God do we bow our will (in Islam)."

004:152           
And those who believe in God and His messengers and do not make a distinction (Arabic: yufarriqu)  between any of them - God will grant them their rewards; and God is Forgiving, Merciful.

There is also no evidence for the assertion that ordinary individuals cannot reach the lofty ranks of the righteous.

In fact, the following verse is open to all believers.

"And whoever obeys God and the messenger, then they are with those to whom God has bestowed (His) favour, of the prophets, and the truthful, and the martyrs, and the righteous. And excellent are those companion(s) ((a beautiful fellowship / a good company are they!))"

As the above testifies, all believers have the potential to reach lofty ranks of the righteous.

As to your question: "On what basis would a well-learned person like Amr Khaled make such a statement?", this perhaps comes down to the simple observation, that there are numerous learned individuals in all walks of life and of religious convictions. Ultimately, I believe it is a function of the sources one finds authoritative, from where they extract their theology and personal convictions.

For the traditionalists, as I am sure you are aware, the secondary sources remain authoritative, in some cases as much as the Quran itself.

There are a couple of other articles that you may find useful below [1] & [2]

I trust that this helps, God willing
Joseph

REFERENCES

[1] THE SUPERIORITY OF PROPHET MUHAMMAD'S (pbuh) MISSION
http://quransmessage.com/articles/mission%20superiority%20FM3.htm
[2] EXCLUSIVENESS OF PROPHET MUHAMMAD (pbuh)
http://quransmessage.com/articles/exclusiveness%20of%20prophet%20muhammad%20FM3.htm
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Seraphina

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 09:29:24 AM »
I'm sorry I put you into so much work my brother, but thank you for the awesome response, especially the part about ordinary individuals reaching high ranks. I had given up the idea of a high rank being possible to reach for me, honestly, I wasn't even willing to try anymore.
It's a sad thing that people have exchanged the true & safe word of god for doubtful hearsay. But I'm beginning to see why - because when they want to do or believe something that is not supported or contradicted from the Quran, they have to dig for 'proof' in other sources to suit their actions/beliefs.
Anyways, thank you so much my brother Joseph, may God bless you the same way He blessed us through you,
Your sister Seraphina :)
"Say:"O my slaves who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah: for Allah forgives all sins: for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 09:47:04 AM »
There is no need to apologise my dear sister. Thank you for the question and giving me an opportunity to respond. I hope that anything good from the response may also help others, God willing.

Your brother in faith,
Joseph  :)
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell