Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: The Evil Eye

Offline 8pider

• View Profile
The Evil Eye
« on: December 10, 2014, 09:53:11 AM »
What is it? Is it real?

Offline Truth Seeker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The Evil Eye
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 10:21:11 AM »
Salaam,

The evil eye as I understand it to be, is when someone looks upon others with jealousy/ envy.

There is reference to it in the Quran Surat Al-Falaq 113. In this verse beleivers are told to ask for God's protection from the enviers.

I hope this helps

Offline Seraphina

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 09:27:09 PM »
Selam 8pider,
In my home country the 'evil eye' is understood to be someone's staring that has the power to cause you harm. I guess it has the same meaning among all the cultures and religions where it is accepted as real, existing phenomenon. I've seen brides and newborn babies being given a necklace with a blue eye medallion, because it is believed that the blue eye keeps it away from you. If the bride feels tired from the wedding ceremony, she was hit from evil eye, the long ceremony had nothing to do with it. If a child steps on a rock and falls down, he/she caught the evil eye from someone who stared at them, stone had nothing to do with it. And so on. My point is, it is something purely superstitious. I've seen the Quran mentioning the existence of black magic (blowing of knots and similar), but I haven't seen anywhere the mentioning of the evil eye phenomenon, or how to be protected from it, like it is the case from the evil of those who blow on knots. If it is there, I have yet to see it.
God bless you,
Your sister Seraphina
"Say:"O my slaves who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah: for Allah forgives all sins: for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."

Offline iamqasim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 08:24:19 PM »
need some verified links about evil eye

Offline 8pider

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 03:49:02 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I find it hard to believe that evil can befall you simply from the jealousy of another person. Could Quran 113:5 refer to the envious one as the devil....and not simply another jealous human being? Is there any other verse that ca add to this one? Thanks

Offline 8pider

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 08:35:36 AM »
113:1       Say: I seek refuge with the Lord of the Dawn
113:2       From the mischief of created things;
113:3       From the mischief of Darkness as it overspreads;
113:4       From the mischief of those who practise secret arts;
113:5       And from the mischief of the envious one as he practises envy.

The translation above by Yusuf Ali gives a better picture of the jealousy referred to in 113:5 than other translations. Here it seems the protection from the jealous ones is seeking protection from their mischief ...that is there physical efforts to cause harm....and not merely causing harm by looking at you with jealousy, as is commonly understood.

Offline HOPE

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 02:31:56 AM »
Peace 8pider,

I believe evil eye is very real, ayn al hasad.  The main protection against the effects of the Evil Eye are reading the Quran, making zikir, dua’ .
Surah Al-Falaq and Surah An-Naas, especially  as protection against the Evil Eye.
Wearing amulets  are useless and unlawful acts to ward of the evil because it is a misplaced power, transgression, zulm.  Masha-Allah wala kuwata illa billah.

"Hope is like a bird that senses the dawn and carefully starts to sing while it is still dark"

Offline 8pider

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 04:50:40 AM »
Salaam  Hope

Have you got any verse in the Quran (other than 113 or 114) that can be used to support the idea? Also where is "ayn al hasad" mentioned in the Quran

Thanks

Offline HOPE

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 05:35:58 AM »
Peace,

No, not to my knowledge that Quran links eyes with envy, jealousy or malice.  I believe it is a universal human construct.  http://www.jewishgiftplace.com/What-is-the-Evil-Eye.html

I have two in my home .  I use it as decoration on a wall not as a power source.
"Hope is like a bird that senses the dawn and carefully starts to sing while it is still dark"

Offline 8pider

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 06:09:34 AM »
Thanks Hope

Interesting quote from the article

"In its most basic form, the evil eye is thought of as a look given to inflict harm, suffering, or some form of bad luck on those that it is cast upon. It is a look which clearly states that one intends for something bad to happen to the object of one’s focus, either out of jealousy or pure malice. The superstition of the evil eye holds that the malicious look is powerful enough to bring about actual disaster for the unfortunate person that is the receiver of the glare.

The earliest known evidence for belief in the evil eye goes back to ancient Greece and Rome……… A belief in the evil eye is widespread on every continent. The Middle East, Asia, Europe, and Central America all fear the evil eye."

The article shows that this superstition is wide spread and like you said its a human construct. So without any Quranic evidence to support this, how can you believe its real?

Offline Donald Hysa

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 09:43:48 PM »
Isn't Allah the only one who can bring harm or good? Why fear anything but Allah?