Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Location of Revelation and whether Prophet Muhammad was Meccan

Offline razorrahmo

• View Profile
Location of Revelation and whether Prophet Muhammad was Meccan
« on: January 29, 2015, 12:52:29 PM »
Greetings Brother Joseph,

There has been much discussion among the Quran centric community on whether the history of the revelation as it has come to us via the secondary sources are accurate or full of error. It seems that the Quran did not explicity state that Revelation took place in Mecca where Bedoiun Arabs and nomads lived and the Quran also does not explicity state that Prophet Muhammad was Meccan.

Also, the constant directive of Allah addressing the people to observe their agriculture, the heavens, olives and the waters seem to suggest that the locality of the Revelation is elsewhere and not characteristic of the dry desert lands of Mecca and also it seems that the Revelation seems to be addressing a more "knowledgeable albeit ignorant" society who also lived among people who had knowledge of previous scriptures (People of the Book) rather than an illiterate nomad bedouin community.

Some of the points are also highlighted in the documentary of Tom Holland: Islam the unTold Story but I do realize that the documentary was pretty biased in its coverage.

Is there any evidence from the Quranic Aayahs that the Revelation took place in Mecca and was revealed to a Meccan?

Ultimately, I take wisdom from your article of "Nameless cities and towns". I believe that whether the Revelation took place in Mecca, Medina or China ..it shouldn't matter. A Muslim is to obey the Message and its applications in line with submitting to God and that may be the reason why the Quran is pretty absent on names, idenitites and landmarks. It does not matter but the Message is what matters.

I am just seeking humble clarification.

Thank You.

Abdur Rahman

Offline Duster

• View Profile
Re: Location of Revelation and whether Prophet Muhammad was Meccan
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 11:49:31 PM »
Ultimately, I take wisdom from your article of "Nameless cities and towns". I believe that whether the Revelation took place in Mecca, Medina or China ..it shouldn't matter. A Muslim is to obey the Message and its applications in line with submitting to God and that may be the reason why the Quran is pretty absent on names, idenitites and landmarks. It does not matter but the Message is what matters.

Shalom / peace brother Abdur Rahman....can i ask politely then, having said what you have above....why does this even matter to you??? Why does it matter where the revelation took place .....esp. if you don't doubt the revelation???? Isn't it an unnecessary question? Anyway....although your question is different....the following article might give some insights regarding locations.....at the end of the day....what should matter is the message....

http://quransmessage.com/articles/original%20sanctuary%20FM3.htm

Offline Wakas

• View Profile
    • What does The Quran really say?
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 03:11:43 AM »
salaam/peace Abdur,

You might find this post and linked article helpful:
http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=1496.msg6953#msg6953

Offline Truth Seeker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 07:45:06 AM »
I do agree with Duster in that if you are not concerned about the location, then it doesn't really matter.

Some Quran centric groups tend to overdo their discussions in my opinion, and overlook the bigger picture as they say.

Offline razorrahmo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 09:05:29 AM »
I do take guidance from all of you about not being concerned about the locality. The reason for asking was actually an offshoot about the doubt I had on the "Sacred Mosque, Kaabah and QiblaH" which has been asnwered in this thread.

Thank you very much for the responses. Salaam to all!

Offline razorrahmo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 03:57:04 PM »
The only real implication for me to ask such a question would be the Qibla and Hajj Pilgrimage. If the santuary mentioned in the Qur'an (Sacred Mosque) was not Mecca, then it would have huge implications for all the rites that we have been doing and our daily contact prayer. I mean it would not affect the truth of our prayer but the fact that we are facing a qibla set by someone else other than Allah or being misled by historical corruption.

I have also seen some images from the Quranic Geography book of Dan gibson of how many ancient mosques were in fact facing another old city called "Petra"somewhere way much more north closer to present day Yemen. Then slowly a few years later some were facing Petra and some MEccan and then years later, all mosques were facing Mecca.

I accept that the Quran is preserved and free from corruption but as with the Deen before, many facts may have been corrupted. The Revelation stands truthful on its own but the historical facts may collapse. And if a huge conspiracy did take place to corrupt and to rename landmarks to fit the names in the Revelation, then we have to be ever more critical about our accepted history.

Even if there was a conspiracy by someone to corrupt the Deen, i take heart with the word of Allah

["Let there be no compulsion in religion: Truth stands out clear from Error: whoever rejects Taghut (evil) and believes in Allah hath grasped the most trust worthy hand-hold, that never breaks. And Allah heareth and knoweth all things. " (Qur'an 2:256)] truth will indeed stand out from Falsehood.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 06:19:15 AM »
Dear Razorrahmo

As-salamu alaykum

From a Quran's perspective and most persuasive, cogent interpretation that I incline to, there is no doubt in my mind that the Qibla and the Hajj Pilgrimage are taking place in the correct location.

The following articles may be of some help.

[1] IS MAKKAH THE ORIGINAL LOCATION FOR THE MASJID AL-HARAM?
http://quransmessage.com/articles/original%20sanctuary%20FM3.htm

[2] THE QIBLA CHANGE
http://quransmessage.com/articles/qibla%20FM3.htm

[3] PROPHET ABRAHAM'S (pbuh) ORIGINAL SANCTUARY - AT MAKKAH (MECCA) OR BAKKAH (BACA)?
http://quransmessage.com/articles/makkah%20bakkah%20FM3.htm

There is also an extended discussion on this forum where I have often elucidated my humble perspectives.

Original Sanctuary, Masjid al-Haram and the Qibla Change
http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=136.msg339#msg339

I hope that helps, God willing
Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell