Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Testifying that God is our Lord before being born - Quran 7:172. Is this wrong?

Offline samson

• View Profile
Hi Joseph,

I read one of your posts where you state that our nafs testifies that God is our Lord.

It is the ‘nafs’ and not the embryo (biological material) that testifies. This is arguably at a stage when the nafs has not assumed it’s human form (at whatever stage that may be). Therefore, prior (or just prior) would be implied when a nafs is able to understand God’s communication directly and subsequently, respond.

http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=1389.msg6417#msg6417

I don't believe this interpretation is correct. Have you considered the interpretation given by Optimist below:

Well, according to me, if  we accept the traditional transalation to mean that this was an incident that took place before the advent of human being,  we will find it difficult to explain  the meaning of the subsequent verse that follows "lest you say on the Day of resurrection, "Verily, we were unaware of this"; or lest you say, "Verily, it was but our forefathers who, in times gone by, began to ascribe divinity to other beings beside God; and we were but their late offspring: wilt Thou, then, destroy us for the doings of those inventors of falsehoods?"    BECAUSE, since NOT ONE human being remembers such a ‘promise’ made before Allah and it does not make any sense to hold anyone responsible for violating the promise.  As per the traditional understanding it would mean that there is no need to send warners and prophets because according to the verse this pledge was sufficient enough NOT TO come up with any excuses like being unaware of the fact or being mislead by forefathers!!  However, Quran says in 17:16 that  Allah will NOT GIVE any punishment to any people or nation or towns UNLESS Allah has sent or appointed a messenger and they are sufficiently warned.

http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=865.msg3387#msg3387

According to my understanding God is saying he brought forth (raised) a generation from the children of Adam and made them testify that He was their Lord. The children of Adam already knew there was only one God as did Adam. The generation/some generations after the children of Adam maybe were not too clear or maybe God just wanted them to confirm their belief and He made them testify that he was their Lord. This was so that we can now no longer use the excuse that it was the earlier generations who started off the tradition/belief of having many gods.

I think it doesn't make sense to be held accountable for something which you testified to then made to forget it. That seems unfair and silly.

Thanks

Offline amar yaseen

• View Profile
Salam

A tradition of Hadrat Ubayy-bin-Ka`ab which is most probably based on the knowledge he received from the Holy Prophet, is the best commentary or this verse. He says:

"Allah gathered the whole of mankind and arranged it into separate groups according to their kinds or periods and gave them human shape and power of speech. Then He took a Covenant from them and made them witnesses concerning themselves and asked, `Am I not your Lord?' They answered, 'Most certainly, You alone are our Lord.' Then Allah said, `I ask the earth and the heavens and your father Adam to bear witness to this effect lest you should say on the Day of Resurrection that you had no knowledge of this. So note it well that none other than I is worthy of worship and that there is no other Lord than I. You should not set up any partner with Me. I will send to you My Messengers, who will remind you of this Covenant that you are Making with Me; I will also send My Book to you . At this the whole of mankind replied, "We bear witness to this: You alone are our Lord and our Deity: we have no other lord or deity than You."

Offline samson

• View Profile
Salam

A tradition of Hadrat Ubayy-bin-Ka`ab which is most probably based on the knowledge he received from the Holy Prophet, is the best commentary or this verse. He says:

"Allah gathered the whole of mankind and arranged it into separate groups according to their kinds or periods and gave them human shape and power of speech. Then He took a Covenant from them and made them witnesses concerning themselves and asked, `Am I not your Lord?' They answered, 'Most certainly, You alone are our Lord.' Then Allah said, `I ask the earth and the heavens and your father Adam to bear witness to this effect lest you should say on the Day of Resurrection that you had no knowledge of this. So note it well that none other than I is worthy of worship and that there is no other Lord than I. You should not set up any partner with Me. I will send to you My Messengers, who will remind you of this Covenant that you are Making with Me; I will also send My Book to you . At this the whole of mankind replied, "We bear witness to this: You alone are our Lord and our Deity: we have no other lord or deity than You."

Do you accept this commentary? If so why?