Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Shortening prayer

Offline relearning

• View Profile
Re: Shortening prayer
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2015, 05:19:35 PM »
The following paragraph from the link  [https://www.facebook.com/joseph.a.islam/posts/487157614754704]  which you gave in your answer includes all what i missed in my approach to shortening pray: "Nothing remains more striking than the desire of the human condition to elicit finer and finer details of a general religious commandment to the point that it becomes almost arduous for them to perform."

Offline zara

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2015, 09:18:03 PM »
Assalamu Alaikum,

Is there flexibility with regards to the timing of salat when travelling as there is with general form and

duration?For instance if one is travelling across different time zones,is strict adherence to correct

timings expected?and how does one achieve that?

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2015, 05:09:45 AM »
Dear Zara,

As-salamu alaykum

The Quran provides ‘periods’ of the day when salaat is to be established. Unless one is bound by congregational times for logistical purposes, these periods have a flexible time window where one prayer period leads to the next.

The flexibility that I understand you are referring to will only become necessary if one was travelling from one time zone to another at high speeds.

As I am sure you will appreciate, high speed travel of today was arguably not available when the Quran was revealed. The Quran primarily dealt with the circumstances in situ. Therefore, once again as I have repeatedly stated, it is a case of best efforts / endeavours according to one's capability (istata'a) as to what action one takes in such circumstances.

Therefore, If one is travelling across different times zones at high speeds (air travel), then they could offer their prayers in accordance to the time zones they are in during flight. For example, if they take off from Paris in the afternoon when it is 'dhuhr time' and intend to arrive at Dubai International airport after 6 hours and 30 mins flying time, they could pray Dhuhr at Paris and then calculate (approximately) regular intervals for prayers during the flight (if possible). This is whilst considering that one will be experiencing the onset of night faster (flying West to East) and in addition to the 6 hours and 30 mins flight, there will be an additional time difference of 3 hours to take account of.

Therefore, if one left at say 2pm from Paris after praying dhuhr, one could expect to arrive at Dubai International at (2+6.5+3 = 11.5) 11:30pm local Dubai time and thus could pray 'Asr' and 'Maghrib' at relatively shorter intervals in flight (if possible) and then 'Isha' prayers later or at the destination. 

Once again, as I have repeatedly stated, it is a case of best endeavours / efforts (istata'a). There are no prescribed rules in such circumstances from a Quranic perspective. This would not have been a concern that would have existed at the time of the ministry of the prophet where travel was mostly restricted to the gait of a camel or horse. Unless in flight, this is also not a problem that exists today in normal travel. One simply prays in accordance to the time zone that they are in.

064:016
“So keep your duty to God as best you can / what you are able (Arabic: ma is’tata’tum), and listen, and obey, and spend; that is better for your souls. And whoso is saved from his own greed, such are the successful”

022:078
"And strive for God with the endeavour which is His right (Arabic: haqq). He has chosen you and has not laid upon you in religion any hardship / difficulty / impediment (Arabic: Haraj)..."

Let us appreciate the blessings of our Lord in that He simply demands best endeavours from His servants in matters of religion.

I hope that helps, God willing
Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline zara

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2015, 09:42:36 PM »
Thank you brother Joseph for taking the time to answer my question,I really appreciate it.I guess it will take some time before I break free of the mindset that I need to be told exactly what to do in detail for every scenario.JZK