Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Drawing / depicting 'the Prophet' sallallaho 'alayhi wasalaam - Allowed?

Offline IjazAhmad

• View Profile
Salamun 'alaikum my dear brothers and sisters!

This is a question that traditional Muslims will undoubtedly answer with a big NO Does the Qur'an give some guidelines about this issue? Of course, nobody knows how the Prophet (upon him be peace) looked like, but what if someone wants to make a movie? Sadly, many traditional Muslims become angry when he is depicted.

So is it allowed?

Wasalaam!
Ijaz, A.

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
Depicting & Arts was once done during the period Hazrat Sulaiman. Therefore the pictures exhibited at the wall of US Supreme Court is the honor given to Prophet Mohammad SA since USA had copied and
and adopted the Charter of Madina (Meeqat e  Madina)
May entire creation be filled with Peace & Joy & Love & Light

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
In Iran a film is being made where  the Prophet is being shown only from back while in Middle East some people are trying to depict the Prophet in some picture 
May entire creation be filled with Peace & Joy & Love & Light

Offline erwin.ariadi

• View Profile
Salam,
Dear Brother IjazAhmad,

Please refer to this link written by Bro Joseph for further elaboration :
http://quransmessage.com/articles/are%20statues%20and%20images%20unlawful%20FM3.htm

And I found this is interesting to read also :
http://www.newsweek.com/koran-does-not-forbid-images-prophet-298298

I hope that helps.
Thank you,

Salam,

Offline Hassan A

• The truth has prevailed and falsehood has vanished
    • View Profile
I find it ironic how traditional Muslims get offended when the prophets image is/gets depicted, yet when the very sources (i.e. Hadith) which they hold dearly depict him in a despicable way (such as claiming he married a 9 year old) they neither take offense to it, nor question it; hypocrisy at its finest.

Now me, personally, I take no offense to it, even when the intent of depicting him is to insult. If someone drew the prophet in an ugly and unpleasing way, I wouldn't take offense to such because for me the question is/would be: how could said artist know the way in which the prophet looked? Surely he wasn't alive during that time, nor where cameras available during that time. Thus I (would) dismiss such depictions on the basis of 'lack of evidence'.