Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: First Ramadan (Revert)

Offline Hijabi_hannah

• View Profile
First Ramadan (Revert)
« on: June 12, 2015, 02:41:31 AM »
Hi,

I'm a revert - almost. I know that I love Islam and think I will say Shahada soon, but I also know if I say it I can't ever take it back so I'm still researching a bit more first (I don't even know how to pray yet!)

As you'll be aware it's Ramadan soon and I'm not sure what to do - part of me wants to try Ramadan, but part of me thinks it's going to be very difficult as I don't know anybody else doing it... I also don't fully know what to do.

I'm considering fasting some of the days (maybe twice a week), and using the rest to focus on other spiritual things, such as getting up to do prayers, switching to ONLY eating full-time halal foods (I'm mostly okay here - unless there is trifle involved!) and reading and researching the Quran in full...

Another reason for this is that I have really low blood pressure and get dizzy if I don't eat after a few hours (it's especially the lack of water I'm worried about in the heat)

I guess I'm just asking for some advice and opinions from more researched and experienced people

Any input would be appreciated

Thanks

Hannah

Offline Seraphina

• View Profile
Re: First Ramadan (Revert)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 06:53:01 PM »
Peace be with you my dear sister (or sister to be) Hannah,
I've passed the road you're currently walking on, so I know exactly what it's like, how it feels, and what crosses your mind. And it's normal to worry and to have a lot of questions, don't be scared of that! Look at us other members of this forum - we've been muslims for weeks, months, or years, but still have questions to ask here! Even our Prophet pbuh was instructed by God:"...and say: My Lord, increase me in knowledge!" (Surah Taha, 114). Being a muslim doesn't mean having all the answers and no questions - it means having the right answers to basic and important questions, and to never stop looking for the rest of answers/knowledge. Being a muslim means seeking knowledge constantly, even if you think you've learned enough :) So, If you're familiar with brother Joseph's articles, I think it will be easier to understand and grow and deepen your knowledge. The moment you get to know Allah and his attributes, that moment you will understand why He commanded us some things and forbade us some others. And when this moment comes, you will love your creator. And once you love something/someone, you'd do anything for them :) you'd abstain from anything that hurts their feelings and you'd be willing to do anything that would please them :) in this case, you'd be willing to find 5 minutes to pray, you'd be willing to abstain from food and drink and rough talk and bad manners during one full month. That's what fasting means my dear, not just staying hungry and thirsty :)
Please be aware that God doesn't expect perfection from us. He knows the capacity of any of us. And so He only expects us to do the best we can, within our possibilities, without overburdening ourselves. Here's a response from brother Joseph on the matter of fasting difficulties which I thought you might find helpful, although you're not pregnant:
http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=1318.0

May God bless you,
Your sister Seraphina
"Say:"O my slaves who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah: for Allah forgives all sins: for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."

Offline Wakas

• View Profile
    • What does The Quran really say?
Re: First Ramadan (Revert)
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 10:37:23 PM »
peace,

...I also know if I say it I can't ever take it back...

Can you clarify what you meant by the above? Thanks.

As a side note, you may find this helpful: http://www.misconceptions-about-islam.com/more.htm