Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: 43:18: does this ayah view women negatively?

Offline erwin.ariadi

• View Profile
43:18: does this ayah view women negatively?
« on: June 10, 2015, 12:10:11 PM »
Assalamu'alaykum,
Brother Joseph,

I have a question about Surah 43:18

Transliteration of 43:18
Awaman yunashshao fee alhilyati wahuwa fee alkhisami ghayru mubeen

Yusuf Ali translation :
(043:018) Is then one brought up among trinkets, and unable to give a clear account in a dispute (to be associated with God)?

Does this verse really describe women in such a negative way (i.e. deficient in intelligence), while in reality, we know for sure that there are so many brilliant women as we've seen through history, e.g. Queen of Saba (27:23) ?

If this ayah is truly referring to women, why it uses the term "huwa" (masculine), instead of "hiya" (feminine)?

I'm waiting for your explanation.
Thank you.

Salam.

Offline good logic

• View Profile
Re: 43:18: does this ayah view women negatively?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 03:05:59 AM »
Peace erwin.ariadi.

My opinion/understanding:

Starting from وَإِذا بُشِّرَ أَحَدُهُم بِما ضَرَبَ لِلرَّحمٰنِ مَثَلًا ظَلَّ وَجهُهُ مُسوَدًّا وَهُوَ كَظيمٌ,when one of them is given news of a daughter ,like they claim for the Rahman,his face is darkened with misery and anger.

Then أَوَمَن يُنَشَّؤُا۟ فِى الحِليَةِ وَهُوَ فِى الخِصامِ غَيرُ مُبينٍ,"them" they will say:"what is good about a child/offspring...that is brought up in beauty/beautiful/..."hilyati,and cannot help in "khissam"dispute/war/fight...

Huwa is used for young child/offspring which  is masculine in Arabic.It can mean a boy or girl in general,in this verse  it means a girl.

Qoran says the truth.The truth is some people do not like having daughters,yet claim the Angels are females,and say " 43:18" about the girl/daughter
GOD bless you.
Peace.
Total loyalty to GOD
In GOD i TRUST.
https://total-loyalty-to-god-alone.co.uk/?page_id=197

Offline erwin.ariadi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 02:12:30 PM »
Salam dear brother good logic,

Thank you for your kind explanation.

However, I have a little bit confusion now about who is really speaking in this ayah, God or pagan Arabs?

According to your explanation, it is the pagan Arabs who spoke.
Then أَوَمَن يُنَشَّؤُا۟ فِى الحِليَةِ وَهُوَ فِى الخِصامِ غَيرُ مُبينٍ,"them" they will say:"what is good about a child/offspring...that is brought up in beauty/beautiful/..."hilyati,and cannot help in "khissam"dispute/war/fight...
So the statement that "a woman is a creature who brought up in adornment and cannot explain clearly in debate" comes from the mouth of the pagan Arabs and not God.

But I think most people (including myself) look at this ayah as if this is God's statement, and not pagan Arab's. Please see this Yusuf Ali translation :

(043:018) Is then one brought up among trinkets, and unable to give a clear account in a dispute (to be associated with God)?

But sadly, to use this ayah (as some people did) as a basis to degrade women, in my opinion, is somehow inappropriate and in contradiction with the whole concept of women in Quran.

Therefore I feel it is important for me to seek a "more honest" interpretation of this ayah.

However, I have an opinion that the term "huwa" in this ayah is referred to "the pagan Arabs themselves" (and not the "child/offspring"), who themselves live in luxurious life style (adornment) but sadly cannot give clear explanation about their own belief as to why having a baby girl is something embarrassing.
But since my conclusion comes from my limited knowledge of arabic, then I have to humbly ask bothers and sisters here in this forum for explanation :D

Thank you.

Salam,

Offline good logic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 03:16:25 AM »
Peace erwin.ariadi.

Thank you for your reply.

I understand from the context of all the verses that "them" what you call the "pagan Arabs" are the ones speaking .

Let us carry on and see:
أَوَمَن يُنَشَّؤُا۟ فِى الحِليَةِ وَهُوَ فِى الخِصامِ غَيرُ مُبينٍ

43:19
وَجَعَلُوا المَلٰئِكَةَ الَّذينَ هُم عِبٰدُ الرَّحمٰنِ إِنٰثًا أَشَهِدوا خَلقَهُم سَتُكتَبُ شَهٰدَتُهُم وَيُسـَٔلونَ They( or the pagan Arabs..Or....) claim that the Angels are females...Have they witnessed their creation..."
43:20
وَقالوا لَو شاءَ الرَّحمٰنُ ما عَبَدنٰهُم ما لَهُم بِذٰلِكَ مِن عِلمٍ إِن هُم إِلّا يَخرُصونَ They even said(the pagan Arabs...): If AlRahman willed we would not...They have no basis for such a claim...They only conjecture/guess/invent..."
43:21
أَم ءاتَينٰهُم كِتٰبًا مِن قَبلِهِ فَهُم بِهِ مُستَمسِكونَ Have we given "them"(The pagan Arabs...) a book before this (Qoran) and they are upholding it?

GOD is condemning inherited human tradition( Suppressing/oppressing women)."Them"( Or as you put it -The pagan Arabs...)are the ones saying 43:18.

GOD bless you.
Peace.
Total loyalty to GOD
In GOD i TRUST.
https://total-loyalty-to-god-alone.co.uk/?page_id=197

Offline erwin.ariadi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 10:41:59 PM »
Dear Bro good logic,

Thank you for your clarification.
It seems more reasonable for me now..  :)

May God bless you.
Salam,