Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Quran 2:54.....Kill yourselves......

Offline 8pider

• View Profile
Quran 2:54.....Kill yourselves......
« on: June 19, 2015, 06:46:08 AM »
Yusuf Ali
And remember Moses said to his people: "O my people! Ye have indeed wronged yourselves by your worship of the calf: So turn (in repentance) to your Maker, and slay yourselves (the wrong-doers); that will be better for you in the sight of your Maker." Then He turned towards you (in forgiveness): For He is Oft- Returning, Most Merciful.

Sahih International
And [recall] when Moses said to his people, "O my people, indeed you have wronged yourselves by your taking of the calf [for worship]. So repent to your Creator and kill yourselves. That is best for [all of] you in the sight of your Creator." Then He accepted your repentance; indeed, He is the Accepting of repentance, the Merciful.

I came across this verse today, and I find it odd that the Prophet Moses would instruct his people to kill themselves. I thought it might have another meaning other than actual death but the next verse 2:56 says "Then We revived you after your death that perhaps you would be grateful."

What is your understanding of these verses? Thanks

Offline IjazAhmad

• View Profile
Re: Quran 2:54.....Kill yourselves......
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 08:55:40 PM »
As-salaamu 'alaikum

I'd suggest that you study the surrounding verses and you will comprehend why Musa (pbuh) said so, however, some scholars believe it to be an allegory. Read the context and you might understand why he said that  :)

Regards
Ijaz.

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
Re: Quran 2:54.....Kill yourselves......
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 09:09:42 AM »
As Bro Ijaz said it may be a logical or  killing Ego or repentance as some translations suggest

May entire creation be filled with Peace & Joy & Love & Light