Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Why Allah says " Wal Ardhu Sutihat"

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
Why Allah says " Wal Ardhu Sutihat"
« on: June 17, 2015, 05:08:08 AM »
While the Earth is round but why Allah says in Surah Ghashiah as " Wal Ardhu Sutihat " ? Can somebody clarify me? Thanks
May entire creation be filled with Peace & Joy & Love & Light

Offline Seraphina

• View Profile
Re: Why Allah says " Wal Ardhu Sutihat"
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 06:54:21 PM »
Peace be with you,
"And it is He who created the night and the day and the sun and the moon; all [heavenly bodies] in an orbit are swimming." (21:33, Sahih International).
" At the equator, the circumference of the Earth is 40,070 kilometers, and the day is 24 hours long so the speed is 1670 kilometers/hour ( 1037 miles/hr). This decreases by the cosine of your latitude so that at a latitude of 45 degrees, cos(45) = .707 and the speed is .707 x 1670 = 1180 kilometers/hr." (Source: http://image.gsfc.nasa.gov/poetry/ask/a10840.html).
Even though the earth is round, to humans it appears spread, whatever position they're on (walking, working, sleeping, etc), which facilitates moving and interacting, considering the way we are created. Even though its rotation in this speed, the humans don't feel anything moving, for example, under their feet or under their bed. In surah Ghashiyah God is telling us that there is more than meets our eye, but He has made it appear and suit our needs.
"Then do they not look at the camels - how they are created?And at the sky - how it is raised? And at the mountains - how they are erected? And at the earth - how it is spread out?"(Ghashiyah, 17-20). The camels were the most important transport mean of the 7th century, they were used to travel in long distances in hot desert without you having to worry they're thirsty or sick from heat. The sky appears to be as a blanket above us, but in reality there's just space above us (I guess you saw the satellite images outside earth). Earth appears to be spread and static to us simply to be in harmony with our needs for a peaceful environment and safe move, although its form is round and it moves. And so on :)
So, God is giving us some reasons to be grateful about. In the end, it's just my opinion from my personal studies of the Quran, I'm not an expert.
Your sister Seraphina
"Say:"O my slaves who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah: for Allah forgives all sins: for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."

Offline IjazAhmad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 11:54:15 PM »
As-salaamu 'alaikum brother!

Can you cite the verse?

Offline IjazAhmad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 12:06:31 AM »
'al-arda' can also mean; the ground, surface of the earth, on which we walk, sit and lie.

wa 'ilá al-'ardi kayfa suţiĥat
And to the land, how was it flattened / spread? -  (so we may walk on it)

Wa as-salaam!

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 05:03:36 AM »
Bro Ijaz Following is the Ayah:--

وَإِلَى الْأَرْضِ كَيْفَ سُطِحَتْ 88:20

And the earth, how it is made a vast expanse?
May entire creation be filled with Peace & Joy & Love & Light