Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Dividing into sects

Offline zara

• View Profile
Dividing into sects
« on: August 09, 2015, 03:27:53 AM »
Salaam,

I was just a bit worried regarding the following verse:

"Indeed, those who divide their religion and break up into sects, you have no part with them in the least: their affair is with God: He will in the end tell them the truth of all that they used to do"

Does this mean that as Muslims we have to break all association with the type of people mentioned in the verse.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Dividing into sects
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 05:48:54 AM »
Dear Zara,

Wa alaikum assalam

The reference is to do with matters of religion. In other words, the insinuation is that one must not be drawn into their sectarian ways or their endless disputes.

Please kindly note verses 30:31-32 which similarly set the context, even for the prophet, to follow God alone and not to become of those who split up their religion and become parties. This is not a reference to total disassociation with other human beings simply on grounds of different theological views, especially if no harm is being committed to another. 

It is important to remember that believers are encouraged to be peaceful with everyone regardless of their religious beliefs and that there is no compulsion in religion.

018:029           
"And say: The truth is from your Lord, so let him who please believe, and let him who please disbelieve; surely We have prepared for the iniquitous a fire, the curtains of which shall encompass them about; and if they cry for water, they shall be given water like molten brass which will scald their faces; evil the drink and ill the resting-place"

109.001-6
"Say: O disbelievers! I worship not that which you worship. Nor will you worship that which I worship. And I shall not worship that which you worship. Nor will you worship that which I worship. To you your religion, and to me my religion"

I hope this helps, God willing
Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline zara

• View Profile
Re: Dividing into sects
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 11:41:28 AM »
Thank you brother Joseph,I was beginning to worry about my relationship with family and friends.You have allayed my fears.