Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: God as 'He'?

Offline Sleepysoul

• ?
    • View Profile
God as 'He'?
« on: August 15, 2015, 03:07:08 AM »
Salamun Alaykum.

Has anyone ever wondered why God is referred to as 'He'? Do you think saying 'She' would be sinful?

Also, are women addressed directly at all in the Qur'an? I don't mean Mary (pbuh), Prophet Muhammad's wives or "the believers" in general. I mean just women. If not, why could this be?

Offline good logic

• View Profile
Re: God as 'He'?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 06:16:43 AM »
Peace.

"O you who believe" in Arabic "Ya ayyuha lladhina Aamanu" addresses men and women.
GOD bless.
Peace.
Total loyalty to GOD
In GOD i TRUST.
https://total-loyalty-to-god-alone.co.uk/?page_id=197

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 08:56:02 AM »
Allah is above any gender I suppose. We cal him He but actually there is gender associated with him.
May entire creation be filled with Peace & Joy & Love & Light

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 09:00:49 AM »
Actually there is no gender associated with Allah

Offline Irfan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 03:59:54 AM »
Probably the question may be rephrased as "Has the Qur'an ever called women by "Ya ayyuhannisaau" (O' women!).  The counter question would have ""Ya ayyuharrijaalu" (O' women!)?" Or any other phrase that makes distinction between sexes "Ya ayyuha.....mo'minaatu....kaafiraatu etc"
Why only "ayyhannaasu" or "ya ayyuhalladheena amanoo" etc? All these are genderless phrases. 
I have not seen any instance of this in the Qur'an. Very interesting question.

Offline Sleepysoul

• ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 04:48:48 AM »
Yes yes, that's what I mean! ^
There must have been a reason. I think I will want to ask this one to God one day. Hehe.

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 07:32:36 AM »
Allah does not distinguish gender while Addresding as such He addresses as Nas or Ameno or Alladina.
Men & Women are equal before Allah.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 10:59:08 AM »
Dear respected brothers and sisters,

As-salamu alaykum

This is not specific to the Quran and thus in my humble view, there need not be an exhaustive discussion around the Arabic language with regards this as the Bible also makes use of the 'masculine' to address God.

God is not a gender or a creation.

However, I feel the masculine gender has been used to remind us of his 'headship', 'leadership' and ‘sovereignty’ over His entire kingdom.  Certain leadership/ headship roles have been assigned to males. For example, please kindly see verse 4:34 and the term 'qawwam' (manager / a securer / protector). Also spiritual guides / leaders such as Prophets in the Quran have also arguably only been men. See 'men' of the heights [1] which supports this. Also another related Q&A may also share insights as to why certain roles have been assigned to men in particular [2].

Thus in the language of humans and the gender roles assigned, the masculine has arguably been used.

However, this does not mean that the female gender is undervalued, as the Quran goes out of its way to show balance and equality in matters pertaining to spirituality and accomplishment. (33:35)

I hope this helps, God willing,
Joseph

REFERENCE:

[1] Men of the Heights?
http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=577.msg2041#msg2041
[2] Can Women Lead Mixed Congregational Prayers?
http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=164.msg427#msg427
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell