Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Was Prophet Joseph (a.s) the most handsome man ever known?

Offline Irfan

• View Profile
Was Prophet Joseph (a.s) the most handsome man ever known?
« on: August 17, 2015, 11:12:22 PM »
So much so that women of his time fell in love with him at the first sight, least of them the ancient Egypt's governor's wife? Is there any Qur'anic evidence that he was the most pretty-faced lady killer?
I would appreciate your comments.  Thanks

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Was Prophet Joseph (a.s) the most handsome man ever known?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 09:41:44 AM »
Dear brother Irfan,

As-salamu alaykum

Please see my response below to your related question below:

Does the Qur'an support the unsurpased "beauty/handsomeness" of Prophet Joseph?
http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=1668.msg7686#msg7686

I hope this helps, God willing
Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Irfan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 10:54:37 PM »
Salam brother Joseph,
Thanks for your input.  I am aware of the verse 12:31 and I have had some time to reflect on this verse. I think this verse is not talking about the "beauty' of Prophet Joseph (a.s), but  his piety.  The women are giving testimony of his piety by calling him an "honorable angel (malakun kareem)".  The angels, in my humble view, are not known for their beauty - but they are known for their sinless nature because they do not disobey God (66:6).  Most likely, Joseph did not even look at the well-adorned women invited to the feast by the governor's wife, hence the comment which infuriated the wife - as per my understanding of the next verse 12:32 as if she was saying "what does he think he is!".
If Prophet Joseph (as) was such a pretty-face man, the women probably would have exclaimed  “Wao! he is so pretty - he looks like a handsome prince!”  Rather, they called him “honorable angel”.
12:32 (Y. Ali) She said: "There before you is the man about whom ye did blame me! I did seek to seduce him from his (true) self but he did firmly save himself guiltless!....and now, if he doth not my bidding, he shall certainly be cast into prison, and (what is more) be of the company of the vilest!"
But there's more to the argument:  If the Prophet Joseph was so handsome ("beautiful" - if this word can be used for a man), then it is more likely that he was even more handsome as a child. In the entire chapter 12, we note that , none of the people who knew Joseph from childhood to his appointment as a governor, have praised Joseph for his "beauty" -  not his father, nor his 11 brothers, nor the women/girls of his hometown, nor his prison mate who only remembers him as dream-interpreter but not as a pretty-face man. Also, the Egyptian king was not amazed when he saw Joseph for the first time in court. In fact, even the caravan folks who took the child Joseph out of the well did not wonder about the beauty of their unexpected discovery.  We also particularly note that Joseph as a child was sold for a paltry priced--a few silver coins (12:20)! So, even his slave market buyers did not think much of the child Joseph as some really precious slave deal. This would be quite unusual because a child of such exquisite beauty is expected to bring a hefty price in the slave market.
12:20 (Y. Ali) The (Brethren) sold him for a miserable price, for a few dirhams counted out: in such low estimation did they hold him!
And that’s not all; we note in 12:50 that Joseph seems to know what these women were doing or up to during the governor’s wife’s invitation (referring to 12:30)—in fact, he calls their presence at the feast and their conduct a “deceit/guile/snare” (kayd).  So even before going to the King to interpret his dream, he seems to have a desire to have everything clarified by the solid testimony of the women of the invitation in the King’s court.
12:50 (Y. Ali) So the king said: "Bring ye him unto me." But when the messenger came to him, (Joseph) said: "Go thou back to thy lord, and ask him, 'What is the state of mind of the ladies who cut their hands'? For my Lord is certainly well aware of their snare (kaydahunna)."

And the women did give the testimony of Prophet Joseph’s ‘innocence’—not of their being particularly attracted to him for his ‘beauty’. 
12:51 (Y. Ali) (The king) said (to the ladies): "What was your affair when ye did seek to seduce Joseph from his (true) self?" The ladies said: "(Allah) preserve us! no evil know we against him!" Said the 'Aziz's wife: "Now is the truth manifest (to all): it was I who sought to seduce him from his (true) self: He is indeed of those who are (ever) true (and virtuous).
They did not mention their cutting of hands either---because that’s what the ‘guile’ was all about.
I hope this explains my point of view. I could be wrong of course because, at the end of the day, it’s always God Who knows best. He created and saw Joseph. I haven’t.
Thanks. God bless.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 03:46:00 PM »
Dear brother Irfan,

As-salamu alaykum

Thank you for sharing your respected thoughts.

It is noteworthy that this strong inference to Prophet Joseph's beauty is not peculiar to the Quran. The Bible also explicitly states this. The Quran that presents itself as a scripture that confirms the essence of the Biblical narratives (musaddaqan) and remains a protector / guardian over it (muhaymin 5:48) appears to make absolutely no attempt to challenge this view.

Genesis 39:6-7
"So Potiphar left everything he had in Joseph’s care; with Joseph in charge, he did not concern himself with anything except the food he ate. Now Joseph was well-built (Hebrew: to'ar) and handsome (Hebrew: yapheh), and after a while his master’s wife took notice of Joseph and said, “Come to bed with me!”" (NIV)

The Hebrew 'to'ar' is a reference to shape, form, appearance and figure. the Hebrew 'Yapheh' is a reference to being beautiful, fair, fitting, sleek and handsome.

Furthermore, in my strong, yet humble view, the story in the Quran is not simply about piety. It is about lust, a woman besotted by charm who attempted to mitigate her lustful guile by presenting Prophet Joseph to other women. Women who cut themselves on seeing him and who desired him for themselves "...They saw him, they greatly admired him ...." (12:31). Women that alikened him to a something not of the earth in their excalamation. "...They (women) said, "God forbid! (Hasha'lillahi) This is not a man! This is none other than a noble angel!..." (12:31)

In my humble view, in light of both the Quran and Biblical narratives and themes, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the weight of evidence from the Scriptures is strongly present to support Prophet Joseph's beauty and charm.

For the benefit of other readers, I share with you a Facebook post which I have already shared on the thread relating to this subject.

BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE

We often think about the insatiable desire to accumulate wealth, chattels, land, power, and progeny as being presented to us as a trial. Gifts from God that are a means to test our mettle, the depths of our resolve. Many would not hesitate to argue how such gifts can lead one to pride, insolence and transgressions, twinning such gifts with the need to exercise caution and responsibility.

However, what is often not spoken about is the gift of universally recognised beauty and the challenges it can present to those that possess it in abundance.
'Flaunt it' as some would say. Others would not hesitate to make use of the most dubious professions or means to seek fame, worldly pursuits and successes through it.
Although the term 'beauty' conjures up images of beautiful females (particularly for men), the Quran actually presents a narrative highlighting the challenges beautiful people can face through the narrative of a male.

The story of attempted seduction, awe, carnal desires and temptation is captured vividly and is powerfully narrated in the story of Prophet Joseph. It remains etched in Muslim thought. But it is the finer elements to the narrative that presents deeper insights and sets a bar, a standard by which believers can only compare if faced with such a challenge.

Prophet Joseph was clearly recognised as possessing great physical attributes that would have the ability to leave individuals awestruck, dumbfounded and enchanted.

"...They saw him, they greatly admired him ...."(12:31)
"...They (women) said, "God forbid! (Hasha'lillahi) This is not a man! This is none other than a noble angel!..." (12:31)

The wife of the Aziz who was clearly besotted by Joseph and was so brazenly intent to seduce him, was so determined to prove her innocence, that she was willing to display Joseph’s beauty to others with a view to mitigate her own actions and desires.

"She said: This is he with respect to whom you blamed me for, and certainly I sought to seduce him, but he abstained, and if he does not do what I order him, he shall certainly be imprisoned, and he shall certainly be of those who are disgraced" (12:32).

The challenges and internal struggles (jihad) Joseph faced is powerfully captured by the Quran where he cried to his Lord for help at the cusp of inclining to the women's evil desires that would certainly have lead him to transgression.

One is drawn to consider. A young man with youthful vigour and heightened emotions, endowed with immense charm, in the throes of guile, impending transgression by determined women would almost certainly be overpowered emotionally. However, Joseph set a bar. He was so determined to protect his chastity, that he even preferred incarceration as opposed to committing an act of indecency. The Quran has recorded the narrative for posterity.

He said: "O my Lord! The prison is dearer / more beloved (ahabbu) to me than that to which they invite me. And unless You turn away their plot from me, I WILL INCLINE (yasbu) TOWARDS THEM and be of the foolish / ignorant."

The verb 'Saba' (yasbu) means to incline to or to yearn towards. This term exquisitely captures the challenges all humans face in the face of heightened emotions in such a context. Here Joseph was no different. He too was subject to the same battles that all humans endure in the face of such a situation.
The Quran captures the split moment in which one recognises that they are inclining towards evil and the arguments that suddenly come into one's mind. Many would undoubtedly fail, but here, Joseph succeeded.

"And certainly she did desire him and HE WOULD HAVE DESIRED HER, if he had not seen the proof / arguments of His Lord..." (12:24)

One wonders, how many today, blessed and trialled with such immense beauty and physical prowess would be able to fend off such guiles of those determined to make one transgress towards lewdness? How many would be willing to preserve their chastity, in the path of the righteousness, even in the face of impending prison and humiliation in the eyes of the world whilst remaining wholly innocent like Joseph?

Nothing powerfully narrates the challenges faced during carnal temptation than the narrative captured in these verses. Even whilst blessed with such beauty in his youth, how he managed to fend off persistent seduction with the help of his Lord. He even endured prolonged punishment in patience for a crime he never committed.
We are all trialled in different ways. Some for example, are tested with power and wealth; others with beauty and charm.

Earthly gifts of God undoubtedly remain temporal. They are oft simply a means to a test. We must all recognise our gifts and in whatever we have been granted, we must always remain mindful that it is simply a trial. A means to test our actions.
[1]

I trust that clarifies / helps, God willing

Joseph

REFERENCE:

[1] BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE
https://www.facebook.com/joseph.a.islam/posts/396349120502221?stream_ref=10
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline good logic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 09:42:40 PM »
Peace Irfan, Joseph.

My understanding is Qoran talks about both attributes of piety and beauty/charm. i.e physical and spiritual charm.

His piety ( humble/not arrogant with whatever physical beauty  he has been given)  both attributes were GOD given of course- saved him from giving in to worldly desires.

We have many examples in our generation of "beautiful people" like Marilyn Monroe, who ,and the majority can agree on her good looks, as Joseph said "flaunted it".( an example of our day)

I am sure brother Joseph ( same name sake as the one we are talking about) does not mind me saying, was not bad looking according to some "female friends" of mine in 1970 s when he was singing under a an ex name,( Not that he is not still good looking?),although I am not sure if the majority had the same view at that time.Hope you do not mind me giving this a mention! ( He conducts himself humbly as far as I know now)

What is obvious about prophet Joseph ,according to the scriptures,the majority considered him of an excellent beauty/charm and the scriptures tell us he was also pious.

GOD bless .
Peace.
Total loyalty to GOD
In GOD i TRUST.
https://total-loyalty-to-god-alone.co.uk/?page_id=197

Offline Irfan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 10:19:02 PM »

Salamun alaikum, brother Joseph,
As pointed out in my earlier post, Prophet Joseph clearly calls the act of cutting of the hands by women as a guile/snare/deception and so we need to reflect upon how that strategy could be a guile. Governor's wife is clearly an extremely cunning and oppressive lady who would go to any extent to achieve her ends. Notice how she blames Joseph when she is caught red-handed by her husband when she tried to seduce Joseph inside the locked room:
12:25 (Y. Ali) So they both raced each other to the door, and she tore his shirt from the back: they both found her lord near the door. She said: "What is the (fitting) punishment for one who formed an evil design against thy wife, but prison or a grievous chastisement?"
And then she sends Joseph to prison for no obvious fault of his (all the women are witnesses to her intention of sending Joseph to prison and none objects to this obvious unfairness! One wonders why. Again, in my humble suggestion, we need to think about why Joseph calls this whole affair a per-meditated plot.
Now the all-important question relevant to this discourse: What did God bestow on the Prophet Joseph other than prophethood? Beauty? Well, let's take a look how God answers this question:
12:22 (Y. Ali) When Joseph attained His full manhood, We gave him power and knowledge: thus do We reward those who do right.
God could have mentioned "husn" (beauty) here along with power and wisdom - but He didn't.  In fact, God never ever says anywhere in the Qur'an that Joseph was even modestly handsome let alone the most handsome creature of the world as we know from sources outside the Qur'an. In fact, as I mentioned before he was sold for a very low price at the market.
God gave Joseph "power and wisdom" because this is how He bestows the 'angelic character' to those who do good.
As to your quoting Bible, I must say that, as for me, I have never attempted to get my understanding of the Qur'an from sources other than the Qur'an - that's because I have not needed them really. In fact, whenever I went there, I always regretted wasting my time.
The Qur'an concretely claims to be completely detailed (6:114, among many other verses all of us are very familiar with) and I have always found this claim to be true.
I rest my case.  Thanks for all your input.  I value it.
Irfan

Offline Irfan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 10:48:56 PM »
Salam br. good logic,
Thanks for sharing your personal reflections. In that vein, I was a very ordinary South Indian-looking man in my youthful days---but somehow I still managed to get attraction of several girls---I think it was because the parents of the girl left the 'two of us' alone in a room for one good hour everyday for at least one full month- My secret? I was a private tutor to some girl students.  It doesn't work now - even if you leave me alone with a girl in a private room for years. ;D
So there's the secret of the one-sided affair of governor's wife!
The wife was left alone with someone much younger and noble in nature for a very long time, with governor busy most of the time in office.  I wonder why would a 'sane' person like the governor leave his wife alone with an extremely handsome boy/man? Recently three men were deported from Saudi Arabia; their fault?  They were "too handsome" for Saudi women! I am not kidding:
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/01/16/omar-borkan-al-gala-deported_n_6488782.html
So it is not at all unexpected that at least one of the ladies - governor's wife - got infatuated with someone who was always nigh. Thanks for reminding me of making this point that could have been made in my earlier posts.
I wish to say  that Joseph and I have always agreed more than we have differed. Difference of opinion is great because this is how we learn from each other.  In my considered opinion, the best way to study the Qur'an is not by attending the "Friday khutbas and frequently invited lectures" but by studying it together
God bless you,
Irfan

Offline good logic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 07:16:21 AM »
Peace Irfan.

Thank you for warning me about travelling to Saudi Arabia!!!!!

On a serious note,they were probably thankful to go.

Keep up your loyalty to GOD Alone and to HIS  Qoran.

GOD bless you.
Peace.
Total loyalty to GOD
In GOD i TRUST.

Offline Irfan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 07:36:47 AM »

Peace brother,

According to the man-made rules, called the "Shari'a", a women must wear hijab (at least, if not burqa/niqab) when she goes out.  However, if a woman is pretty, she must not show her face at all--even at the K'aba!

Still if you ask them, they will say they are their 'sisters'!

The Saudis have invented their Islam--but they have the 'Two Houses" we all need, and so we mess with them.
Irfan

Offline zara

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 07:47:24 AM »
Salam good logic,
I do not think the person you mentioned above and brother Joseph are one and the same.

Offline good logic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 02:22:01 PM »
Peace zara.

Thank you for your query.

Do you mean spiritually?

Or do you mean  physically?

GOD bless you.
Peace.
Total loyalty to GOD
In GOD i TRUST.

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 12:15:27 AM »
Salam Bro Irfan, very pretty or ugly no woman can use Naqab of face cover during performing Haj as 
you said she can cover as per Mullah
May entire creation be filled with Peace & Joy & Love & Light

Offline zara

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 02:02:17 AM »
Salaam good logic,
It is not important really,I was just trying to say I don't think the individual from the 70s that you mentioned is not brother Joseph.but,it doesn't matter because brother Joseph chooses to remain anonymous which is a decision I highly respect.I suppose I was just quick to reply without thinking which is something I tend to be guilty of a lot.

Offline Irfan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2015, 01:36:54 PM »
Salam bro sardar Miyan,
I agree with you - Hajj or no Hajj - nowhere should a woman hide her face.  The Face is the ID of a human being, man or woman.
I saw a funny cartoon somewhere - a mullah was introducing his burqa-clad (full face and body covered) wife to his friend "This is my wife, Najma"---and the friend was looking confused, and a balloon coming from him was saying "mmmmm. Should I go in, or she will come out?" 

Offline good logic

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2015, 02:14:14 PM »
Peace zara.

Thank you for your post.

I apologise my post was not appropriate.

For me,  "like an angel" should  imply  the absolute devotion to the only Lord and Master.  "charm and beauty" does not earn our salvation.

GOD bless you.
Peace.
Total loyalty to GOD
In GOD i TRUST.