Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Is ablution required everytime if one goes to offer prayers?

Offline maverick83pk

• View Profile
Is ablution required everytime if one goes to offer prayers?
« on: September 17, 2015, 11:56:24 PM »
Aoa,

I have a question for Brother Joseph Islam, i read in the quran "“You who believe! When you get up to perform prayer, wash your faces and your hands and your arms to the elbows, and wipe over your heads, and wash your feet to the ankles. And if you are in a state of major impurity, then purify yourselves . But if you are ill or on a journey, or have come from the lavatory, or have touched women, and cannot find any water, then take for yourselves clean earth, and wipe your faces and your hands therewith. Allah does not want to make things difficult for you, but He does want to purify you and to perfect His blessing upon you so that hopefully you will be thankful.”(Qur'an, 5:6)"

From this verse, i understand that one should perform ablution every time one gets up to perform prayers and what would nullify ablution?

Thanks for your inputs.

Offline Hassan A

• The truth has prevailed and falsehood has vanished
    • View Profile
Re: Is ablution required everytime if one goes to offer prayers?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 02:33:11 AM »
Salaam maverick83pk,

Here's brother Joseph's answer to a similar question:

"The Quran is explicit as to what circumstances would require one to perform ablution (5:6, 4:43). None of these circumstances include the passing of wind (flatus). Such a requirement is only based on Islamic secondary sources and not the Quran.

For example:

Volume 1, Book 4, Number 137 (Narrated Abu Huraira):

Allah's Apostle said, "The prayer of a person who does ,Hadath (passes, urine, stool or wind) is not accepted till he performs (repeats) the ablution." A person from Hadaramout asked Abu Huraira, "What is 'Hadath'?" Abu Huraira replied, " 'Hadath' means the passing of wind from the anus."

Volume 1, Book 4, Number 139 (Narrated 'Abbas bin Tamim):

My uncle asked Allah's Apostle about a person who imagined to have passed wind during the prayer. Allah' Apostle replied: "He should not leave his prayers unless he hears sound or smells something."

Given the fact that there is no explicit command in the Quran to support the above Ahadith, one would also arguably be hard pressed to find a logical explanation for the need of ablution after passing gas from the body (not much different in essence from belching). After all, none of the areas are washed that are involved in the passing of wind and which remains very different in essence from the release of actual bodily fluids or solids which consist of tangible waste discharged by the body.

It is important to appreciate from a Quranic perspective, that God does not prescribe rituals to make matters difficult for his servants.

005:006 (part)
"...God does not intend to make any difficulty for you, but He intends to purify you / make you clean and to complete His favour upon you so that you may be grateful."

If one performs ablution after passing wind, this should remain a matter of choice and not one argued for under Quranic shariah."

http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=675.0

Hassan.

Offline maverick83pk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 04:42:34 PM »
Thanks a lot Hassan for your inputs, clarifies a lot of things.

However, is one still required to perform ablution every time when gets up for prayer?

Offline Hassan A

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 05:44:52 PM »
Salaam maverick83ok,

To answer your question, I personally believe that one is to/should perform wudu prior to every prayer. What leads me to this conclusion is the words "when you stand up for prayer" in the following verse, which I take to mean before any and all salath.:

"O you who believe! when you stand up for prayer, then wash (Arabic: ghusl) your faces and your hands (and arms) to the elbows and wipe (Arabic: Mas'ahu) your heads and your feet to the ankles..."

This is the best answer I can give you, do to my lack/limited knowledge of the Quran.

Hope it helps.
Hassan.

Offline Truth Seeker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 06:46:25 AM »
Salaam,

I think that if you extrapolate on the verses, if you have not visited the toilet or are subject to the other things that invalidate your wudhu between prayers, then I do not see the need to perform it every time.

Offline Hassan A

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 03:18:13 PM »
Salaam Truth Seeker,

Though I am contradicting my previous take on the question presented by maverick83ok, I agree with your comment. Further support for it would be (in my opinion) the fact that Allah continuously instructs us to not be wasteful. Yet are we not being wasteful if we contiously use water to perform wudu, except in the case you've alluded to (i.e. answering the call of nature).

Hassan.