Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Can't understand 2:27

Offline Sword

• View Profile
Can't understand 2:27
« on: November 03, 2015, 07:05:42 AM »
Dear brother Joseph and all,

As-salamu alaykum.

I am facing difficulty in understanding about this 'covenant' God is talking about and what God has ordered to be 'joined' in 2:27.
I think the covenant is our pledge to uphold the Quran and live our lives according to it without transgressing and crossing any bounds which could lead us to hell fire in the hereafter. However, I am more confused when the ayah further talks about those who sever "what God has ordered to be joined."

2:27
those who break God's covenant after they have pledged to keep it, and sever whatever God has ordered to be joined, and spread corruption in the land it is they who are the losers.

I think the same subjects are repeated in 13:20-21.

13:20-21
they who are true to their bond with God and never break their covenant; and those who join together what God has commanded to be joined, and fear their Lord and dread the harshness of the reckoning;

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Offline Truth Seeker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Can't understand 2:27
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 10:49:58 PM »
Salaam,

I think that it refers to the bonds of kinship that HGod has asked us to enjoin and also to the 'oneness' of the islamic community.

Breaking the above bonds would lead to discord and the fragmentation of the community.

Offline Hamzeh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 02:12:06 AM »
Asalamu Alykum

Keep in mind that God took the oath/covenant of each people he guided through their own prophets.

3:81 Behold! Allah took the covenant of the Prophets saying: "I give you a Book and Wisdom; then comes to you an Messenger, confirming what is with you; do ye believe him and render him help." Allah said: "Do ye agree, and take this My Covenant as binding on you?" They said: "We agree." He said: "Then bear witness and I am with you among the witnesses."

Prophet Muhammad has also took that covenant.

33:7  And remember We took from the Prophets their Covenant: and from thee: from Noah, Abraham, Moses, and Jesus, the son of Mary: We took from them a solemn Covenant:

Covenant taken by the people of Prophet Muhammad

"And remember the favour of God upon you(the people of Muhammad), and His covenant , which He ratified with you / bound you with, when you said: "We hear and we obey": And fear God, for God knows well what is in the breasts"

57:8 And why do you not believe in Allah while the Messenger invites you to believe in your Lord and He has taken your covenant, if you should [truly] be believers?

Children of Israel took covenant with God

2:83-84 And remember We took a covenant from the children of Israel (to this effect): worship none but Allah; treat with kindness your parents and kindred, and orphans and those in need; speak fair to the people; be steadfast in prayer; and give Zakat. then did ye turn back except a few among you, and ye backslide (even now). And remember We took your Covenant (to this effect): shed no blood amongst you, nor turn out your own people from your homes; and this ye solemnly ratified, and to this you were witness.

It seems from the Quran that God has always attached a agreement/covenant after sending people a guidance to them, that to hold fast in what was given to them and follow it.

2:63 And remember We took your covenant and We raised above you the towering height of Mount (Sinai) (saying): "Hold firmly to what We have given you and bring (ever) to remembrance what is therein: perchance ye may fear Allah."

If you look at the Facebook article by brother Joseph you can see the commandments of the children of Israel and the commandments given to the Prophet Muhammad and the Believers. [1]

Hope that helps Insha'Allah

Peace

The Ten Commandments Related by the Quran
[1] https://www.facebook.com/joseph.a.islam/posts/517831938353938

Offline Wakas

• View Profile
    • What does The Quran really say?
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 04:33:18 AM »
peace,

I think you will find this helpful:

What is 'the covenant' according to The Quran?
http://mypercept.co.uk/articles/covenant-quran.html