Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Fasting in Muharram and the Four Sacred Months

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Fasting in Muharram and the Four Sacred Months
« on: December 01, 2011, 10:29:36 AM »
salaam alaykum brother Joseph,

I was just reading this http://muslimmatters.org/2010/12/07/the-month-of-allah-muharram/. can you plz tell me whether we have to fast other than the days in ramdaan?

I never knew about fasting in Muharram and so far i haven't found it in the Quran that it says to fast during these days. This site says so according to some hadith, but they also quote an ayah(the ayah doesn't seem to say anything about fasting though):

"Verily, the number of months with Allāh is twelve months (in a year), so was it ordained by Allāh on the Day when He created the heavens and the earth; of them four are Sacred. That is the right religion, so wrong not yourselves therein." (9:36)

Which r the sacred 4? I know one is Ramadaan and the other is the month of Hajj. right?

Jazakallah khair,

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Fasting in Muharram and the Four Sacred Months
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 10:31:06 AM »
Salamun Alaikum,

There is no prescription in the Quran to fast in the month of Muharram. The Quran clearly informs believers that fasting has been prescribed in the month of Ramadan (2:185). Furthermore, some expiations may also involve fasting (2:196; 4:92; 5:89; 5:95; 58:4). However, any fasts done for the sake of God should be encouraged (19:26) but this should not be considered as 'prescriptive' (obligatory).

Only what is 'prescribed' by the Quran is 'religious deen'.

With regards the four months, I hope my following article helps.

THE 'LOST' MONTHS OF HAJJ
http://quransmessage.com/articles/the%20lost%20months%20of%20hajj%20FM3.htm

Regards,
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell