Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: What is the Difference Between Hadith and Sunna?

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
What is the Difference Between Hadith and Sunna?
« on: December 01, 2011, 10:38:31 AM »
Salam Brother,

What is the difference between Hadith & Sunnah ? Hadith may general narrations of Prophets period while Sunna is actions of Prophet which is part of Hadith.Hazrat Ayesha has told that Prophet was moving Quran means every action of Prophet was as per Quran then what is written in Quran is his Sunnah .Right ? Please tell me if I am right.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: What is the Difference Between Hadith and Sunna?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 10:43:06 AM »
Walaikum salaam.

Please see my following article which discusses the difference between Hadith and Sunna.

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HADITH AND SUNNA
http://quransmessage.com/articles/hadith%20and%20sunna%20FM3.htm

The Prophet applied a timeless Quran to a time specific context. The result would have been his Sunna specific to his context. If he would have applied the same Quran today, different outcomes may have resulted. Instead of a camel, he may have driven a car. Instead of eating with his hands, he may have used a knife and fork.

The Quran does not authorise any Sunna of a people and neither does the Quran mention the Sunna of Prophet Muhammad.

However, the Prophet would have been the best example of applying the Quran to his time specific context.

Please see below how the word Sunna is used in the Quran.

UNDERSTANDING THE TERM 'SUNNA' FROM A QURAN'S PERSPECTIVE
http://quransmessage.com/articles/understanding%20the%20sunna%20from%20a%20quran's%20perspective%20FM3.htm

I hope this helps, God willing.

Regards,
Joseph.

'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell