Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Written Tablets of Prophet Moses

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Written Tablets of Prophet Moses
« on: December 01, 2011, 10:45:52 AM »

May I ask some questions please?

I was reading surah Ar'af today ayah 145 - And We ordained laws for him in the Tablets in all matters, both commanding and explaining all things, (and said): "Take and hold these with firmness, and enjoin thy people to hold fast by the best in the precepts: soon shall I show you the homes of the wicked― (how they lie desolate)." (145)

Tablets here means that the Allah sent the scriptures to prophet Musa written? That means Musa (pbuh) didn't have to write anything or produce it, it was already given to him by Allah? if this is correct, do you think that the Quran was given to prophet Muhammad like this too? or no? And do these Tablets exist now?

Is the following indicating the ramadhan fasts and hajj fasts?

"We appointed for Moses thirty nights, and completed (the period) with ten (more): thus was completed the term (of communion) with his Lord, forty nights...." Surah Ar'af 142

Thank you.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Written Tablets of Prophet Moses
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 10:47:00 AM »
Salamun Alaikum.

Thank you for your email.

Indeed, as per the Quran, instructions were prescribed in the tablets (l'alwahi) and they were written into them.

The Arabic word 'wa-katabna-hu' (7:145) means 'And We wrote for him'

However, there is nothing to suggest that the instructions were not then taken down into general written form to preserve the tablets.  However, the Torah with us today also has additions that were written by other scribes and verses which were written after the death of Prophet Moses. Therefore, not all the Torah today had its source from Prophet Moses.

The Ten Commandments and the laws / instructions (Book of the covenant) are referenced in Exodus. The original tablets, according to the Biblical account were broken (Deuteronomy 9:17) which can also be implied (though not confirmed) by the Quran, verse 7:150. They were then understood to be rewritten on replacement stones and placed in a chest called the Ark of the Covenant. The original tablets of Moses are lost.

There is no proof from the Quran that Prophet Muhammad received guidance on such tablets. It is clear he received the Quran through inspiration and was taken down by noble scribes (80:13-16) in his lifetime.

With regards 7:142, there is nothing in the Quran to prove that this is a reference to Ramadhan and the Hajj fasts.

I hope this helps, God willing.
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell