Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: "Violent" Verse?

Offline Star

• View Profile
"Violent" Verse?
« on: March 01, 2016, 08:33:36 AM »
Salam all,

This is verse 8:67...

Sahih International: It is not for a prophet to have captives [of war] until he inflicts a massacre in the land. Some Muslims desire the commodities of this world, but Allah desires [for you] the Hereafter. And Allah is Exalted in Might and Wise.

What do you think the first sentence means? I'd assume the massacre is being inflicted upon those who attacked Muhammad (pbuh) and his troops. However, the context for this isn't given in the verse, and it sounds really harsh. Can anyone explain this?

Offline Star

• View Profile
Re: "Violent" Verse?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 08:35:56 AM »
Also, this is the Free-Minds translation. It's very different. I'm confused. What do the Arabic words in the verse actually mean?

8:67   And it was not for any prophet to take prisoners until he is bound by a campaign. You desire the materials of this world, while God wants the Hereafter for you. God is Noble, Wise.

Offline Star

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 06:50:51 AM »
Can someone please explain this?

Offline Star

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 09:58:13 AM »
*sigh*
...Either no one knows the answer to this, or else they just don't feel like replying.

Come ON, y'all.

Offline Mehedi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 01:10:37 PM »
Salam alaikum Mia,

This is just me taking a stab at it, I'm not completely sure. It seems that this verse is saying taking of war captives is only permissble if you're in a situation where you have to in other words, a conflict. A defensive conflict where you have no choice. You can't just go out and get yourself some captives, because you want yourself some "commodities" (sell some slaves?), so don't go invading people so you can be rich. Remember the hereafter. That's my best guess. Not sure what the context is because I havent read the whole chapter or surrounding verses.

By the way I am in no way an Arabic language expert, but my basic knowledge in Islam tells me that the Sahih International translation is absolutely atrocious. We can't transgress bounds, nor harm a people that never harmed us, so "infllicting a massacre" is a very terrible choice of words that violates other parts of the Quran. Not sure about the free-minds one though.

Offline Star

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 10:21:51 AM »
Salam :)

Thank you for your clarification.

Yes, the Sahih International translation may be quite ridiculous, as translations often are. I think your understanding of the verse makes sense. I was a bit confused at first, but this has helped :)