Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Wishing Season Greetings.

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Wishing Season Greetings.
« on: December 05, 2011, 05:33:11 AM »
Salam,

I know that Allah doesn't like pagan traditions and so I am thinking can we even wish someone a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays or Season's greetings if they greet us with this? Is this 'bidah' (innovation)?

What happens when someone invites us to attend a Christmas party? I haven't come across this yet but i feel that I should decline because I feel that this may cause my Lord to be upset because in a way, it is going against Him.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Wishing Season Greetings.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 05:35:23 AM »
Salamun Alaikum.

There is nothing forbidden to my understanding of the scripture that forbids one from sending season greetings to another. 

Unless you are wishing someone a 'Merry Christmas' as an essential requirement of 'deen', I don't see this as a problem in light of my humble understanding of the Quran. A 'Bidah' is something which is introduced into religion or in the name of religion.

If your participation in any custom is going to contravene or compromise the teachings of the scripture, then you should clearly refrain from it. It is important to note that Christmas parties are often notorious for one reason or another. I would personally find it better to refrain from them given these concerns. I am sure there are many non-Muslims that refrain from Christmas parties for similar reasons.

I hope this helps, God willing.
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell