Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Fasting - begin and end - nautical or civil dawn?

Offline Student

• View Profile
Fasting - begin and end - nautical or civil dawn?
« on: May 10, 2016, 02:43:09 AM »
Salamun Alaykum,
Dear forum members,

I'm completely sold to fasting until Night (of course to my utter shock, may Allah swt forgive and guide me and all of us) and begin from dawn. Absolutely amazing relevant articles as expected from brother Joseph. The only thing that I felt missing or didn't spelled out was: at which dawn shall I stop eating and drinking (Sehri), nautical or civil dawn? And likewise break fast (Iftar) at which dawn, nautical or civil dawn?

Let me be more clear and as practical as I can, let's say today was a Ramadan fasting day, where I live then it would be:

Mon, May 9 2016
First light at 5:33:37 AM
Last light at 8:37:16 PM

Or

Mon, May 9 2016
Twi Nautical: 5:01am
Twi Civil: 5:36am
Sunrise: 6:05am
Sunset: 8:06pm
Twi Civil: 8:35pm
Twi Nautical: 9:10pm

So, at which time should I stop Sehri and at which time from the above should I do Iftar?

I've asked this question via email to brother Joseph but not as clearly and in detail, long time back but I know he's extremely busy and impossible to attend each and every email.  Since, Ramadan is around the corner with sense of urgency I seek all of your advise in all sincerity.

Thanks and Jazak Allah Khair!
Thanks,
~ Student

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Fasting - begin and end - nautical or civil dawn?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 11:40:01 AM »
Dear Student,

Wa alaikum assalam

My responses on this thread may assist.

http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=460.msg1590#msg1590

The gist is that this is a matter of perception. I endeavour to open up my fast within half hour of sunset, not immediately after sunset when it is still relatively bright.

Regards,
Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Student

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 03:02:11 AM »
Salamun Alaykum,
Dear Brother Joseph,

To my pleasant surprise I find my query was responded by you :) ;D Thank you so very much and Jazak Allah Khair! Also, accept my apologies for not doing my homework on the forum searching thoroughly and missed the thread you provided :-[

May I sincerely draw your attention and few minutes from your extremely invaluable time to throw some light on another subject - it's equaling pressing and practical question - my wife is not convinced fully and she and my daughter still skips Salah during their menses. Here's the thread wherein I sought your view based on your academic knowledge of previous scriptures:

http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=1799.msg8899#msg8899

Thank you in anticipation and always Jazak Allah Khair! :)
Thanks,
~ Student

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 06:09:05 PM »
Dear Student,

Wa alaikum assalam

Please kindly note that I have now responded to your query in the link you shared above and as shared again, below:

http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=1799.msg8899#msg8899

I hope this helps, God willing
Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Wakas

• View Profile
    • What does The Quran really say?
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 05:37:23 AM »
peace,

I think some flexibility is fine, but this is also relevant:
http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=1152.0