Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: On using leather products

Offline Shahmatt

• View Profile
On using leather products
« on: June 03, 2016, 03:51:50 PM »
I have read Joseph Islam's article on 'Slaughter' here:

http://quransmessage.com/articles/slaughtering%20of%20animals%20-%20the%20correct%20method%20of%20sacrifice%20FM3.htm

I note that the method by which an animal is put to death is specified.

This is mostly done in the context of food, but I presume that it would generally be applicable to killing an animal for any purpose.

If such is the case then unfortunately much of the leather products in my household would likely have been extracted from animals killed in an unlawful manner.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: On using leather products
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 02:10:55 AM »
As-salamu alaykum

Please see verses 5:4 and 16:114-115 where the main draw of slaughter /killing of animals is for food. With regards by-products of animals, one would find it somewhat fantastic from a Quran's perspective that a complete animal is slaughtered primarily / simply for its skin or else and not for food.

Therefore the Quranic verses clearly and primarily express guidance in the context of eating. Any ulterior motive would be arguably unwarranted from a Quran's perspective.

006:118
"Therefore eat of that on which God's name has been mentioned if you are believers in His verses / revelations" 

Regards,
Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Shahmatt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 09:28:01 PM »
Salaams Joseph Islam,

Thanks for your reply.

Can you please provide guidance as to how a believer might view items made of animal byproduct wherein there is a likelihood that the animal may not have been slaughtered in a manner consistent with what may be Islamic?

Offline Nura

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 09:35:23 PM »
Salam Shahmatt

I know u asked brother Joseph's opinion, but if I may, the quranic requirement of slaughtering in Allah's name is only required for food, if u r not eating the animal derived products, then there is no requirement for halal or haram, as in there is no halal or haram leather.

In case u r referring to cheese where rennet is used or jello where gelatin is used, it is better to steer clear if u know for sure that the animal was not slaugtered in an islamic manner, these are grey areas, and most ppl prefer to avoid them so as to not commit a sin unknowingly!
Not all those who wander are lost - J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline Shahmatt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 11:02:11 AM »
Salaams Nura, thank you for the reply.

Just to clarify further. I am looking for guidance from a consumer of animal byproduct point of view. When going around the shops one may encounter the following categories of animal byproducts:

1. Byproducts from halal animals sacrificed in a halal manner primarily for food, e.g: leather from cow
2. Byproducts from halal animals sacrificed in a non-halal manner primarily for food, e.g: leather from cow killed by stunning.
3. Byproducts from non-halal animals sacrificed in a non-halal manner primarily for food, e.g - leather from swine
4. Byproducts from non-halal animals sacrificed in a non-halal manner primarily not for food, e.g - ivory from elephants

From a moral standpoint I would reject item 4 on the basis that the animal was killed for unjust purposes and not for eating. Item 1 is clearly allowed and there is no problem.

For item 2 very often the manner in which the animal was killed is unknown as this information is not published. Believers living in predominantly Muslim nations may not need to worry too much but what about non-Muslim nations?

For item 3 I suppose that while the product itself is not forbidden the purchase of such items would add to demand. However since the animal is killed primarily for food the purchase of swine byproduct may not necessarily contribute to more killing of swine. On this basis I might purchase and use swine byproduct where it is the only alternative - e.g - rugby balls.