Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Regarding Hajj - For Joseph Islam

Offline munir rana

• View Profile
Regarding Hajj - For Joseph Islam
« on: July 23, 2016, 05:55:15 PM »
Dear Brother Joseph Islam
Peace be upon you

After reading your articles related to Hajj it is almost clear that Abrahamic rites were reinstituted at the Kaaba for the followers of the final revelation. But as it is stated in 3:97 that one should make Hajj to the Firts House, and this directive was not revoked by any other verse ( like you, I also believe that no verse of the Quran is abrogated), then should we to perform Hajj to two different locations? If not, then how do you reconcile these two different directives as Pilgrimage place? Is there anything else i missed to understand regarding this issue?

3:96-97
The first House (of worship) appointed for men was that at Bakkah: Full of blessing and of guidance for all kinds of beings: In it are Signs Manifest; (for example), the Station of Abraham; whoever enters it attains security; Pilgrimage to is a duty men owe to God,- those who can afford the journey; but if any deny faith, God stands not in need of any of His creatures.

Best regards.

Munir Rana

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Regarding Hajj - For Joseph Islam
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 05:00:29 PM »
Dear brother,

As-salamu alaykum

I will address your question in two parts.

Firstly, there is no mention of 'those who can afford the journey' in verse 3:97. The Quran merely uses the word 'istataat' which simply means to be able, can or to be capable of. This is not always a financial ability. For example, one may not be able to fulfil a duty because the authorities have forbidden travel, the place is inaccessible, has become unknown over a period of time or a multitude of other reasons including personal wellbeing.

This leads me to the other part. There are a number of instructions in the Quran which one may find difficult / unable to fulfil today because of geography, accessibility or knowledge of location.

For example, the Quran instructs travel to places where communities of old were destroyed, particularly those mentioned in the Quran.

"Say, travel in the land and see what has been the end of the guilty" (27.69)

This is a clear instruction.

Saleh's community were one such community. However, can pilgrims travel to Madain Saleh in Saudi Arabia with ease?  See article [1] below. Do we know for certain the location of the destroyed communities of 36:29 in Surah Yasin albeit one could posit that it is the locales in around Pompeii [2]? But are we certain?

The Quran speaks about the destruction of Prophet Lots' community and the People of the Woods. These sites are even mentioned as known to the Arabs when the Quran was being revealed as a location they were familiar with. Please see verse 15:79. However, whereas the sites of Bab edh Dhra could be argued as that of the destroyed city of Lot [3], are we certain? Are we certain of the location of the People of the Woods (15:78)?

Then what of the instruction by God to visit these places to ponder? Please kindly note, this is an instruction (27:69).

Similarly, are we completely sure of the location of the original house of Prophet Abraham at Bakkah? It is quite possible that this was known at the time of the Prophetic revelation of the Quran and the general location could be argued as in the thread [4] below, but our obligation is only limited to what we know today with some degree of certainty and are able to accomplish.

In the end, in God’s wisdom, He has given believers their own Qibla and a Holy Sanctuary where pilgrim rites can be observed. Abrahamic rites as you have kindly noted, have been re-instituted here.

Finally, I do believe that every believer should make it a sincere endeavour to visit the Holy Lands and particularly the sites of note. The Quran refers to the blessed lands a number of times in the Quran and the first direction of the believer's prayers were also arguably, to this direction [5]. as were most likely, the pilgrim rites of old.

I hope this helps, God willing
Joseph

REFERENCES:

[1] MADA'IN SALEH - THE QURANIC ZIYARAH (VISIT) OF PETRA'S SISTER SITE
http://quransmessage.com/travelogues/ziyarah%20FM3.htm
[2] EXCERPTS FROM MY TRAVEL BLOGS
http://quransmessage.com/travelogues/travelogues%20FM2.htm.
See section: ITALY - POMPEII (LEFT)
[3] Ibid.,
See section: JORDAN - BAB EDH-DHRA - Possible site where the People of Lot (pbuh) were destroyed
[4] Clarifications Sought on the Makkah and Bakkah Article
http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=854.0
[5] THE QIBLA CHANGE
http://quransmessage.com/articles/qibla%20FM3.htm
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline munir rana

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 04:52:32 PM »
Dear Brother Joseph Islam

Peace be upon you.

Thanks for your kind response. From common sense, it is also logical to pligrimage one place. But the verse made me thinking . And specially, the warning encouraged me to raise the question. ("...but if any deny faith, God stands not in need of any of His creatures.").

As I am not well adept in Arabic language, so i depend on several translations. And in the translations this verse appeared to me in present tense : " whoever enters it  (waman dakhalahu kāna āminan)". And probably the verb `istataat' is also in present form.

I think this verse and there are more instructions which should be read  more carefully. And I agree with you that we must try our best to visit the Holy Lands. (rather to pligrimage to one site again and again.)

Thanks.

Best regards.

Munir Rana

Offline Wakas

• View Profile
    • What does The Quran really say?
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 04:33:16 AM »
peace munir,
The words you refer to are in the perfect form, primarily meaning an action done/completed (i.e. in the past), and so is "kana".
http://corpus.quran.com/wordbyword.jsp?chapter=3&verse=97#(3:97:1)
Having said that, I do believe one could find some Arabic grammar rule/construction to imply it can mean in the present tense. One would have to do extensive research to be able to rule out either option, and even then may not be able to.

That is not the only issue with these verses. You may find the following helpful:

3:96 Indeed, the first1 house/shelter placed/set-down2 for mankind was the one with/in/by/at bakka3 blessed and a guidance for the beings.
3:97 In it clear signs/evidences, the stance/position/status4 of Abraham, and whoever entered it was securing. And for God upon mankind (is) the HaJJ (at/of) the house/shelter, whoever is able to make a way to5 it, and whoever conceals/rejects then truly God has no need of the beings.

1first means others are possible, also see 24:36. This would explain well the narration interplay between Abraham's example and the believers this time around, indicating that Abraham's model is an example for them to follow. This is perhaps linked to his status as an imam/model/exemplar for mankind [2:124].
2 Arabic: "wudi'Aa" often translated incorrectly as "set-up" or the like.
3 this could be a proper name of a place, however it could mean "distinguishing/ranking above others", "crowding" or some other CAD meaning for Ba-Kaf-Kaf. Interestingly, "crowding" is a common meaning to both BaKKah and MaKKah, thus could explain how they became interchanged in future Traditional Islamic sources. I personally think "makkah" means "crowding" in 48:24.
4 Arabic: "maqam" does not commonly mean physical standing place, see other occurrences.
5 Arabic: "ila" implies motion and/or direction.

Note the object of it (Arabic: hi/hu) can only be "bayt/shelter", however most traditional translators try to explain this away as referring to "the haram/sanctuary of Makkah" e.g. Ibn Kathir. This peculiar issue will be discussed later.

If the "bayt" mentioned in 3:96 is the cuboid called Kaabah in Makkah, then this has some issues:
1) a building is never described as a "guidance" elsewhere in AQ. However a community/nation can guide (e.g. 7:159, 7:181, 21:73)
2) according to traditional Islamic history the cuboid called Kaabah has been demolished and rebuilt several times - if so, does its status as a "guidance" and "securing" become temporarily suspended at these times?
3) what are the clear signs in the cuboid called Kaabah? Is there even any? It is very rare for people to enter it today.
4) I am not aware of any non-Islamic source that states Abraham was in the area of Makkah, nor any prophet/messenger thereafter.
5) in present day Makkah, the alleged "maqam Ibrahim" (stone imprint of Abraham's footsteps) is outside the cuboid called Kaabah, not inside it like the verses say.
6) I am not aware of any source which cites a place called Makkah or a cuboid called Kaabah prior to traditional Islamic sources.

Offline munir rana

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 02:59:40 PM »
Brother Wakas
Salam.

I am convinced with Brother Joseph's response. You are also kind to forward me the links. I will go through it.

Thanks.

Offline Aayankhan

• View Profile
    • Coupons To
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 04:04:30 PM »
Is it right, if compulsory actions are not performed or performed with a mistake, the pilgrim will have to offer sacrifice of an animal?

Offline munir rana

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 06:52:19 PM »
Dear Aayankhan

Salam.

please read the section 4 (subhead Expiations) of the following article :

http://quransmessage.com/articles/hajj%20FM3.htm.

The following verse will be helpful, God willing. 

And complete the Hajj and the Umrah for God. But if you are prevented (From completing it), then send such gifts as can be obtained with ease (Arabic: is'taysara) and do not shave your heads until the offering reaches its destination. And whoever among you is sick or has an ailment of the head must pay a ransom (Arabic: fidya) of fasting or charity or sacrifice (offering). And when you are secure, then whoever took advantage of the Umrah followed by the Hajj then he must make an offering of whatever (can be) obtained with ease of the sacrificial animal.  But whosoever cannot find (such offerings), then a fast of three days during the Hajj and seven (days) when you have returned; that is, ten in all. That is for him whose folk are not present at  Sacred Mosque (Arabic: Masjid al-Haram). And fear God and know that God is strict in punishment.