Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Confusion on the translation of 2:249

Offline ilker

• View Profile
Confusion on the translation of 2:249
« on: September 25, 2016, 07:40:47 AM »
Assalamu alaikum brothers and sisters,

Here is 2:249 ;

And when Saul went forth with the soldiers, he said, "Indeed, Allah will be testing you with a river. So whoever drinks from it is not of me, and whoever does not taste it is indeed of me, excepting one who takes [from it] in the hollow of his hand." But they drank from it, except a [very] few of them. Then when he had crossed it along with those who believed with him, they said, "There is no power for us today against Goliath and his soldiers." But those who were certain that they would meet Allah said, "How many a small company has overcome a large company by permission of Allah . And Allah is with the patient."

Now I've read lots of translations which seem to differ in the translation of the part I highlighted in bold.

They said: " There is no power for us today against Goliath and his soldiers."

Now, who said this ? Those who drank from the river and left behind ? or Those who were with Saul who crossed the river. Many translations say in parentheses :

(those left behind) said:

But that doesn't sound quite right to me. Because ALLAH (swt) says, most of them drank from it and a few left who didn't. So Saul and his men who crossed the river must have been the minority.  They say "we have no power today" maybe they were feeling weak because they didn't drink from the river or because maybe they were small in number. Moreover;

But those who were certain that they would meet Allah said, "How many a small company has overcome a large company by permission of Allah . And Allah is with the patient.

This small company must be those who crossed the river not the ones who were left behind, in my opinion.

But translations sound like; after Saul and his men crossed the river, those who were left behind said "we have no power today" and some of them said: "How many a small company has overcome a large company by permission of Allah . And Allah is with the patient.". But this doesn't sound right. Because they were the ones who failed the test and they were not the minority but the majority.

What do you think about this ? Especially someone who knows arabic grammar well... Maybe I'm wrong in my assumptions. ALLAH(swt) knows best and may He guide us to the right path.

Salam.

Offline wanderer

• View Profile
    • Diverging Thoughts
Re: question about the translation of 2:249
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 07:47:09 AM »
My interpretation? Those who drank were left behind and did not join Saul. Some of those who remained with Saul were then scared that they would be crushed by Goliath. But those of Saul's companions who were perhaps stronger in faith consoled them, telling them they had God on their side.
Regards
wanderer
Rather, We dash the truth upon falsehood, and it destroys it, and thereupon it departs. And for you is destruction from that which you describe. (21:18)

Offline ilker

• View Profile
Re: question about the translation of 2:249
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 07:50:19 AM »
My interpretation? Those who drank were left behind and did not join Saul. Some of those who remained with Saul were then scared that they would be crushed by Goliath. But those of Saul's companions who were perhaps stronger in faith consoled them, telling them they had God on their side.
Regards
wanderer

salam wanderer

so you say, "They said: " There is no power for us today against Goliath and his soldiers." was said by those who were with Saul. And that they were the minority ...

Offline wanderer

• View Profile
    • Diverging Thoughts
Re: Confusion on the translation of 2:249
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 07:58:30 AM »
Yes, that is my interpretation.
Regards
wanderer
Rather, We dash the truth upon falsehood, and it destroys it, and thereupon it departs. And for you is destruction from that which you describe. (21:18)

Offline wanderer

• View Profile
    • Diverging Thoughts
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 08:00:03 AM »
Although there is room for varying opinions

Offline Nura

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 08:17:17 AM »
Salam

2:249

Then when set out Talut with the forces he said, "Indeed, Allah will test you with a river. So whoever drinks from it then he is not from me, and whoever (does) not taste it then indeed, he (is) from me except whoever takes (in the) hollow (of) his hand." Then they drank from it except a few of them. Then when he crossed it, he and those who believed with him, they said, "No strength for us today against Jalut and his troops." Said those who were certain that they (would) meet Allah, "How many of a company small overcame a company large by (the) permission (of) Allah. And Allah (is) with the patient ones."

I am of the opinion that it was the people who did not drink, the minority who was with Talut, said those words. And when they saw that majority drank and so the size of their army became significantly smaller compared to Jalut's troops, they( the minority people) took that opportunity to strengthen their faith in God and remind each other that strength and victory is not in numbers, but victory belongs to those who have God on their side.
Not all those who wander are lost - J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline ilker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 03:20:14 AM »
assalamu alaikum all

Alhamdulillah. thank you for letting me know of your opinions.