Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: How to regard those who follow traditional Islam.

Offline ahmad

• View Profile
How to regard those who follow traditional Islam.
« on: October 26, 2016, 07:18:39 AM »
Traditional Muslims regard those who have a Quran centric view as disbelievers/misguided. What then should the stance of Quran centric folk towards traditional Muslims ? Should they be regarded as brothers in faith even when there are great differences in views ? Even if many of their convictions go against the Quran ? Even if they see Quran centric ideas as a  threat ?

What's your opinion on this ?

Thank you in advance.

Offline wanderer

• View Profile
    • Diverging Thoughts
Re: How to regard those who follow traditional Islam.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 07:42:47 AM »
Even if our traditionalist brothers in faith see us as "stupid kaffirs", they are still brothers to us.
Regards
wanderer
Rather, We dash the truth upon falsehood, and it destroys it, and thereupon it departs. And for you is destruction from that which you describe. (21:18)

Offline Nura

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 07:48:19 AM »
salam

Well said Brother Wanderer! I agree, God calls all of us Muslims and expects us to behave like brothers. We are not to break up into sects and incite hatred among ourselves. This will only serve to weaken us as a community of believers. It doesn't matter how they behave and what names they call us. We should only concern ourselves with what God wants from us as a community, which is togetherness and worshiping only One God, everything else is secondary.
Not all those who wander are lost - J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline ahmad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 02:55:02 AM »
Building upon your sentiments, I believe verse 9:11 makes a significant point.

[9:11]
But if they repent, establish prayer, and give zakah, then they are your brothers in religion; and We detail the verses for a people who know.

Which is that the Belief in One God, Prayer and Zakah are enough to make a person a brother in Religion. So we can argue so all sectarian divides can be included as brothers in Faith.

The only thing that hinders me from fully accepting this, is that some argue that taking other sources besides the Quran can amount to shirk. In addition to this, verse 5:44 explicitly says that "whoever does not judge by what Allah has revealed - then it is those who are the disbelievers." Traditional muslim judge by other sources besides the Quran. I don't want to jump to conclusions but I am not sure this verse applies to them or not.

[5:44]
Indeed, We sent down the Torah, in which was guidance and light. The prophets who submitted [to Allah] judged by it for the Jews, as did the rabbis and scholars by that with which they were entrusted of the Scripture of Allah, and they were witnesses thereto. So do not fear the people but fear Me, and do not exchange My verses for a small price. And whoever does not judge by what Allah has revealed - then it is those who are the disbelievers.

So I have reached a dead end. One the one hand, those who belief in one God, pray and give zakat are considered brothers in Faith but on the other hand, taking as other sources besides the Quran is definitely a sin. But I am not sure if it amounts to disbelief/Shirk. Because if it does then how can those taking these sources be regarded as brothers in Faith.

Thoughts ?

Offline wanderer

• View Profile
    • Diverging Thoughts
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 03:13:38 AM »
Traditionalists do judge by what God reveals. But they also judge with other sources. Wrong? Yes. Disbelief? NO.
Regards
wanderer
Rather, We dash the truth upon falsehood, and it destroys it, and thereupon it departs. And for you is destruction from that which you describe. (21:18)

Offline Hamzeh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 01:31:59 PM »
Asalamu Alykum

To add to the wonderful sentiments shared Masha'Allah, I would like to mention that although I believe that seeking the truth is very important in life, one might never know when God does bestow His guidance on people and also it seems that in life truth gets finer and finer if God wills. It seems that for this reason that any disputes after one accepts the belief in God is fruitless. The truth keeps widening to any accepting soul if God is willing.

42:15-16 “To this then go on inviting, and go on steadfastly on the right way as you are commanded, and do not follow their desires, and say: I believe in what God has revealed of the Book, and I am commanded to do justice between you: God is our Lord and your Lord; we shall have our deeds and you shall have your deeds; no plea need there be (now) between us and you: God will gather us together, and to Him is the return.But those who dispute concerning God after He has been accepted, futile is their dispute in the Sight of their Lord: on them will be a severe punishment[/b][/b]”

Also prophet Muhammad(pbuh) was asked not to turn away anyone who continually prays.

6:52 And do not send away those who call upon their Lord morning and evening, seeking His countenance. Not upon you is anything of their account and not upon them is anything of your account. So were you to send them away, you would [then] be of the wrongdoers.

Also notwithstanding that the belief in One God is a fundamental of being a believer, some verses seem to suggest that "disbelief" also may happen by simply rejecting the truth after its been manifested when it comes to humans or jinns. Pride and arrogance seems to be one factor of disbelief. If we look at iblees, he believed in God, but simply denied the truth after it was made clear to him. See verses 2:30-34. So keeping vigilant of truth when it reaches one is also something to be seriously considered. However it is God who is the Ultimate Judge and He alone knows the hearts of all.

2:34 And [mention] when We said to the angels, "Prostrate before Adam"; so they prostrated, except for Iblees. He refused and was arrogant and became of the disbelievers[/b].[/color]

Those are my humble thoughts

Peace and Blessings Insha'Allah

Offline ahmad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 03:55:44 AM »
Thank you all for sharing your thoughts  :)