Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Avoid marrying Slave girls/maids??

Offline Mubashir

• View Profile
Avoid marrying Slave girls/maids??
« on: February 05, 2012, 08:31:16 PM »
Salam

From the way the following verse has been translated, it seems Allah discourages marrying slave girls/maids:

4:25 And as for those of you who, owing to circumstances, are not in a position to marry free believing women, [let them marry] believing maidens from among those whom you rightfully possess. And God knows all about your faith; each one of you is an issue of the other. Marry them, then, with their people's leave, and give them their dowers in an equitable manner - they being women who give themselves in honest wedlock, not in fornication, nor as secret love-companions. And when they are married, and thereafter become guilty of immoral conduct, they shall be liable to half the penalty to which free married women are liable. This [permission to marry slave-girls applies] to those of you who fear lest they stumble into evil. But it is for your own good to persevere in patience [and to abstain from such marriages]: and God is much-forgiving, a dispenser of grace.

Few points come to point.

1. Such a marriage is not recommended because marrying solely for meeting sexual impulses is not the way to go. One must take other considerations into account before choosing a life partner. Therefore it is better to abstain from such such marriages.

2. If the slave girl/maid is still to remain in servitute of her owner/master/custodian, then it is better to seek her freedom first.

3. Slave girls/maidens, due to their particular circumstances and pleasing ways for their owners may not be having a chood moral character.

Would appreciate any comments.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Avoid marrying Slave girls/maids??
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 10:56:00 PM »
Dear brother Mubashir,

Salamun Alaikum.

The interpolation 'and to abstain from such marriage' is a very dangerous and unwarranted insertion by the translator. There is absolutely no warrant for this.  It is almost akin to making something prohibited when God clearly provides options despite the preference to abstain in patience. No human on earth should interpret this as an abstention as the translator has done.

Point 2 is also problematic as after marriage a woman would not remain in servitude of a master. She would be a man's spouse and should be treated no differently after 'Nikaah' as another wife. Of course her answerability would be less in some aspects as the Quran expounds. This concession may clearly be due to the possibility of her marriage being founded on some sort of compromise and due to some inherent inclinations. However, many women would be happy to give up their status as a slave / maid to be taken in as a complete spouse. However, this does not translate into a 2nd class wife.

With regards point 3, one of the expectations of marriage in the Quran is that believers seek out women who are 'muhsanat' (chaste). This is further implied by verse 4:25 with respect to right hand's possess as well.

One would be inclined not to prejudge women in such a manner despite the nature of their background especially when they are presented with better options in life for the future. This of course does not rule out manipulative women, but that personality trait exists as much in free believing women as it does in men. There have been possibly many, no doubt, throughout history that have been stung by free women, as there are women that have been stung by men.

Finally, I agree that physical attraction should not be the sole reason for marriage. You are correct. But unlike yourself, there are others that assert that physical attraction should play no part in a marriage decision. This particular assertion is strongly challenged by the Quran which recognises that even the Prophet found women attractive. There is a hint that in his marriages too, physical attraction could also have played a part in his decision making.

The interpretation would be difficult to refute in my humble opinion due to the clear text of the Quran. It can of course be denied.

"It is not lawful for thee (to marry more) women after this, nor to change them for (other) wives, even though their beauty attract thee, except any thy right hand should possess: and God does watch over all things"

If the above verse is studied carefully, despite the prohibition with free believing women, the Prophet was allowed to marry those from the right hand possessed as wives. Please read clearly the Arabic condition: 'walaw a'jabaka hus'nuhunna' (even if their beauty pleases you) which has been clearly presented by the Quran.

I hope this helps, God willing.
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Mubashir

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 02:13:09 AM »
Salam Br Joseph,

The above translation was from Muhammad Asad.

If we pick other translations, men are advised to excercise self control and wait (rather than marrying slave girls). If this is the case, we wonder why as it would be a noble act to marry one in servitude and help her obtain freedom.

Is he being advised to wait and look for women who are free or is he being advised to wait rather than rushing into a marriage for physical/sexual reasons alone?

You are right about the physical attraction part. The verse quoted clearly shows that the blessed Messenger experienced attraction to beauty. This blows the theory of wearing Niqabs out of the water. I can understand the head covering worn by Muslim women but could never figure out why do they go to extremes and wear Niqabs? For Muslim women living in the West, if the idea of Niqab is not to attract unwanted male attention it fails miserably on that count alone as most people turn to look at them!!

Mubashir

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 03:39:41 AM »
Salamun Alaikum Mubashir,

I am actually very surprised indeed that this was an interpolation by our late brother Muhammad Asad.

I personally have an immense amount of respect for his many gifts which he has worked tirelessly to further Islamic thought, his erudition and Quranic insight. Albeit, he has clearly made it known that it is a clear interpolation by including his comments in square brackets (unlike many translations that I have come across that do not make their interpolations clear), I would still have to respectfully, disagree with brother Muhammad Asad on this particular point.

I still believe that the verse is clear and such an interpolation remains respectfully, unwarranted.

May his soul rest in peace and may the good of his works reach far and wide InshAllah.

Joseph.

'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Mubashir

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 11:06:14 PM »
Peace Br Joseph

Salam Br Joseph

I am sure it's me. But I am still trying to comprehend why Allah suggest avoiding such a marriage to slave girls?

Thanks.