Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Political Issues

Offline Visionary

• View Profile
Political Issues
« on: December 31, 2011, 08:52:46 AM »
Salaam people,

I would like to know what your views are on various political issues and their status within Islam. There appears to be a wide range of conflicting views which seems to be part of the failures of current Islamic countries (apart from being puppets).

I think the main issue is regarding voting.

One side will state that it's haraam to vote as this is not a practice found within Islam and therefore you will be establishing a non Islamic governance contrary to the sovereignty of God.

The other side will state that is is OK to vote as we are in a non Muslim country and we need to vote in order to elect an authority that will benefit the Muslims most.

I see fair points in both sides and I am unsure of the Quranic perspective regarding this. I also possibly see that it is not necessarily haraam to vote itself, but rather it's who you are voting for. So for example if in an Islamic country there were Islamic parties, you can vote for your preferred party.

Your views would be appreciated :o)

Regards, 

Offline Mehdi

• View Profile
Re: Political Issues
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 04:29:21 AM »
Wa Alaykom Assalam,

There is a very interesting article written by a famous Scholar Cheick Imran Hosein : http://www.imranhosein.org/articles/islam-and-politics/85-can-muslims-vote-in-elections-of-the-modern-secular-state.html

I hope this helps,

Mehdi.

Offline chadiga

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 12:30:55 AM »
Salam MehdiS
i will share my opinion:

God has created a universal system that is called Deen. According to the times and peoples, he sent several laws brought about by prophets. The last divine law for humanity is the Quran It contains  don't represents many individual laws, but provides a rough framework.
If we see that also Jusuf observed the secular (human) law, then we can conclude that we should subjugate secular laws, as long as they are within the Quranic wisdom.
Likewise, I see no sin (as orthodox muslims do)  to vote the politicians. However, it is also true that we  can not see into the hearts of others, but their appearance and their actions already deduce how they think.
On the other hand it plays in contemporary politics not matter anyway, whether you go vote or not  :(-.the so-called democracy don't exist and therefore is no discrepancy in the interpretation.
peace  :)

Offline HOPE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 03:21:57 AM »
Salaam,

This writer has based his arguments on the Qur’an, the Hadith and the Sunnah of the blessed Prophet Muhammad (sallalahu ‘alaihi wa sallam), to the effect that participation in electoral politics in the modern secular state constitutes Shirk and Kufr. In the event of disagreement with the view expressed in this essay, scholars should respond with arguments based on the Qur’an, Hadith and the Sunnah of the blessed Prophet (sallalahu ‘alaihi wa sallam). They should declare the specific conditions in which it would be Halal for believers to vote in national elections. For example, can a believer vote for an idol-worshipping Hindu, or for an enemy of Islam, a liar, a drunkard, a thief, an adulterer, a moneylender, who owns shares in a bank or is a bank director etc.? Can he vote in elections on the basis of racial solidarity or on the basis of a trade: “We will vote for you on the condition that we get such and such from you.” Can he vote for a political party that is committed to supporting the Zionist State of Israel in its continuing occupation of, and oppression in, the Holy Land and Masjid al-Aqsa? Can he vote for a political party that supports the legalization of the lending of money on interest, lottery, homosexuality and abortion?

God shows the right path but does not impose guidance. No mortal has the power to make a person to believe unless God graces that person with His guidance 6:104-107. 
God shows the right path to anyone who is willing to follow it  16:9. 
Morality is linked with man’s free-will. 
Thus religious liberty is the most fundamental liberty.  There can be no religious liberty without freedom of speech, press, freedom of association, movement.

Secular concept of religious freedom is the first amendment of the US constitution, thus state and religion are separate issues.  It does not impose any belief on me.  I'm free to choose my  belief and the way I choose to practice it since it will be just me in front of God in the end to answer.

There is no separation of Mosque and religion in Islamic concept of religious freedom.  Islamic laws are not to be imposed on non-Muslims as it violate the Quranic principle of ‘no coercion in faith ’.  In Islam deen can have several meanings like  ‘religion’, ‘faith’, ‘religious law’ or 'moral law’ as used in 109:6, depending on context.

Quran recognizes a man’s right to privacy in his home and in his physical and spiritual garments.  We are discouraged into prying into others’ affairs 4:148-149, 49:12,   thus so called ‘moral police’ is unquranic.  The enjoining of good and forbidding evil must be balanced by the freedom guaranteed in the Quran.

Democracy in choosing the leaders was practiced after the Prophet, when his  four successors were elected by the elders of the community. A true democratic govenment comes into power by popular sovereignty which does not negate God’s sovereignty.  Quran advises consultation among ourselves 'shura baynahum'.  43:8  all human transactions from family to society are based on consent and consultation.  3:159 and also we have a right to dissent 24:62-64.

I participated in yesterday's election.  It was my civic duty as a citizen.  I chose and cast my vote for inclusive multiracial, multi-ethnic, global in outlook and moving beyond centuries of racial, sexual, marital and religious traditional society.  May God guide us all.
"Hope is like a bird that senses the dawn and carefully starts to sing while it is still dark"

Offline HOPE

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 05:27:04 AM »
This is a transcription of a speech delivered in Dewsbury, UK in 1982 at the opening of the Dewsury Markaz (i.e. Dewsury Center center).

Da’wah in the Seerah

As you are aware, the Prophet (Sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) had a burning desire to invite humanity towards Islam. Despite 13 years of untiring effort in Makkatul Mukarramah and 7 years in Madinah Munawwarah, there was no large scale movement of non-Muslims into Islam. Between 7 AH and 10 AH, which is the period after Fatah-Makkah until the Prophet (Sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam)’s demise, there was such an influx of people entering the ranks of Islam that was not witnessed in the preceding 20 years.

Imam Zuhri (ra), an eminent Muhaddith and Tabi‘, expressed surprise on this sea change, with so many people embracing Islam in a matter of just 3 years. Along with other distinguished Muhadditheen, he has commented that this was due to non-Muslims having had an opportunity for the first time to observe and intermingle with Muslims, witness their honesty, fair dealing, compassion, and sole reliance on Almighty Allah. This left such a deep and profound impression on non-Muslims that thousands entered into the fold of Islam within a relatively short period of time.

Applying the Lessons of Seerah Here and Now

This incident also contains abundant lessons on how Muslims should live in this country. Their conduct should be sublime and captivating. Whosoever should see us should accept Islam. Whosoever sits with us should be inclined towards Islam. There should be no need to convince anyone to accept the Truth.

Therefore, in this country if you wish to live peacefully and have an opportunity to present Islam to the host community, you will need to inculcate and manifest sterling qualities, not just inside the Mosques but also outside in the streets, in the markets, in your daily activities, and at home. A life of Taqwa will immediately attract non-Muslims towards Islam.

Dangers of Living Isolated and Insulated

As an ordinary student of Islam it is my religious responsibility to warn you. If you do not lead an upright life, if you continue to live an insular lifestyle, and if you fail to manifest the beauty of Islam to non-Muslims, then you face some real dangers. In such a case, there is no reason for you to feel content and secure in this country.

If ever the fire of race, religion, or nationalism rages here you will not be saved. In Spain there were Mosques a hundred times more beautiful than yours. So do not feel content and self-satisfied. As an ordinary student of religion I would wish to express my joy and happiness at this wonderful new Mosque. But what words shall I use to congratulate you?

Lessons from Spain

Others may not speak to you as plainly, but remember the glorious Masjid of Cordoba. It still stands in Spain. Iqbal, Poet of the East, so eloquently reminisces the great legacy of Islamic Spain in his famous poem, Masjid-e-Qurtaba. In Islamic Spain, there were such brilliant Mosques, celebrated Madrasahs, famous scholars like Shaykh al-Akbar (ra), Ibn al-Hazm (ra), Qurtubi (ra), Shatbi (ra) – and how many others shall I mention?

However, when the flames of religious sectarianism raged then the Mosques and Madrasahs became deserted. Once, Islamic Spain boasted such magnificent structures, distinguished educational centers, refined culture and society. Regrettably, the Muslims, despite such a high standard of living, did not draw the non-Muslims of that country to see the truth of Islam, to warn them of the dangers of disbelief, with the result that ensuing religious violence subsequently consumed them like a morsel. The Arabs with their glowing history, architectural splendor, and vast oceans of knowledge, were displaced from the country. Today, unfortunately, the ears eagerly wait to hear the Azaan and the empty Mosques thirst for the Salaah.

Earn Your Place in Your Country

My dear brothers, you must earn your recognition in this country. You should earn your place and leave an imprint on the host community of your value and significance. You must show your exemplary conduct is far nobler than that of other people. You must impart on them the lessons of humanity. You should demonstrate such commitment and noble virtues that impress on people that there cannot be found more upright humans elsewhere besides you. You need to establish your worth, showing what blessing and mercy you are for the country.

If however you decide to live in an enclosed environment simply content with your Prayers and Fasting, apathetic to the people and society you live in, never introducing them to the high Islamic values and your own personal qualities, then beware lest any religious or sectarian violence flares up. In such a situation, you will not find safety or protection.

I pray to Almighty Allah my prediction is totally unfounded. But remember, you are guests here. Your Tabligh, Mosques, Madrasahs, Ibadah, and religious sacrifices are all worthy of commendation. May Almighty Allah grant you Barakah. But do not forget to earn your place in this country. Gain proficiency of the national language and use it to effectively propagate Islam. Prepare writers and orators to convey the message of Islam. Although you will distance yourself from their religion, do not distance yourself from them. Establish your credibility to the extent that if you are entrusted with onerous responsibilities, as was Prophet Yusuf (`Alayhi as-Salaam), you do not shirk but embrace all challenges wholeheartedly.

Your Priority Should Not Be Wealth and Luxury

You will have to present a new pattern of life to this country. You will not earn recognition by exerting yourselves in the workplace. If you overwork you will be looked upon disparagingly and be likened to horses and bulls. In fact, you will be labelled as money-making machines. However, if you can show to the people here that you are worshipers of Almighty Allah and not wealth, you do not bow before power but only before virtue, you are humans and think like humans, you are concerned not only about yourselves but also about others; and you are compassionate about your own children as well as theirs, that you are earnestly concerned about the path of destruction they have chosen for themselves, you will then earn their respect. They will begin to respect Islam and become desirous of studying it. They will ask you for literature concerning Islamic beliefs and practices and an opportunity will arise here for you to promote Islam.

On the other hand, if you remain preoccupied in eating and working, engaged in prayers, remaining indifferent to what is happening in the country, insulated within the Muslim community, totally apathetic to what is happening outside, which direction the country is taking – in such a situation if there is trouble you will not be able to save yourselves.

StrengthenYour Position

I have been meaning to convey and accentuate this message to you as I do not know whether I will be able visit you again in the future. You gathered here with love and affection and therefore it was easy for me to convey. As a student of religion it would have been convenient for me to recommend the virtues of reciting various Zikr or prescribe certain Wazifahs but you may not have had an opportunity of listening to the message I have just conveyed from anyone else.

Please strengthen your position in this country. Earn your recognition. Do not be like a straw or crop that is uprooted by a mere breeze. You should be so firm that not even a hurricane is able to displace you. Display such noble character that you attract the hearts of the people. See then how these people will stand up to defend you. If there is the slightest hostility towards you, they will be the first ones to argue on your behalf and argue what a blessing you are for them.

May Almighty Allah grant us the ability to understand what is right; may He bless and protect you. Aameen.

Courtesy: Darul Ihsan.
"Hope is like a bird that senses the dawn and carefully starts to sing while it is still dark"

Offline HOPE

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 05:43:21 AM »
Salaam,

Sorry, I forgot to include the name of the author:

Effective Da’wah in the West
by Shaykh Abul Hasan ‘Ali an-Nadwi

Offline Mehdi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 06:00:29 AM »
Assalamou Alaykom my friends,

This is one of the greatest Da'wah. Thank you for sharing.

Let me share my opinion.

The principe of letting anyone choose his religion and faith is supported by the Quran. I agree "Quran recognizes a man’s right to privacy in his home" --> Unfortunatly, state allows almost everything forbidden by Allah in public.

Electing = Supporting

Electing  someone (or the secular state) who will :
- Approve Homosexual marriage
- Support, finance, and submit to the Criminal state of Israel (Said that he preaches democracy, but remains completely complicit, refuses to see, to acknowledge the crimes against humanity.)
- Approve usury, banks, and insurance
- Approve prostitution and gambling

The Qur’an has also denounced as Shirk the act of making Halal whatever Allah had made Haram. --> I Think that brother Josef could also add this to the list of idolatry (http://quransmessage.com/articles/idolatry%20according%20to%20the%20quran%20FM3.htm)

Allah says, “Legislation is for none but Allah. He has commanded that you worship none but Him.” To him this ayah is addressed, “And whosoever does not judge by what Allah has revealed, such are the Kafirun (disbelievers).”

If the state commit Shirk and we vote (so we accept the secular human law) we are particiting in this act of shirk.

Also voting means involvement in the game of politics, a realm that is full of deception. The one who have the most $ (in most case supported by multinationals and zionists criminals), not the one who are the most pure --> I think this is why, we do not have the system of election in our religion (1 man = 1 vote as we are more prone to deception "by media today").

We make the choice to vote or not (acceptance of such people as fit to govern over us)

Finaly, I'm afraid that I cannot agree with "civic duty as a citizen". States lunched this kind of duty so that citizen could submit their own to the state (it's more easy to order citizen throught their duty to the state so they can fight against Iraq or Afganisthan for example).

With Love,

Mehdi.

Offline HOPE

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 08:26:21 AM »
Salaam Mehdi,

state allows almost everything forbidden by Allah in public.

You are not required to participate in the public arena if it is offensive to you.     In a secular, multi-racial, multi-ethnic, multi-religious community, we have to respect the rights of everyone and it is the duty of the state to keep others infringing on each other's rights.

Electing = Supporting

Electing  someone (or the secular state) who will :
- Approve Homosexual marriage
- Support, finance, and submit to the Criminal state of Israel (Said that he preaches democracy, but remains completely complicit, refuses to see, to acknowledge the crimes against humanity.)
- Approve usury, banks, and insurance
- Approve prostitution and gambling

I have lived all my life in  secular settings so I cannot relate to another form of government.  Women have fought for their right to vote and run for office for a long time. They gained that right in Norway in 1906, US 1920, UK 1928, Swiss in 1971.  In Saudi Arabia no such right.

Electing  someone  who will Approve Homosexual marriage:
Actually, I have recently changed my position on this topic.  Some of God’s creatures do not require an opposite sex to populate the world.  Whether I approve or disapprove, homosexuality exists from time immemorial.  Why not help them keep the relationship monogamous and committed.  They are answerable for their choices just like I am.

Support, finance, and submit to the Criminal state of Israel (Said that he preaches democracy, but remains completely complicit, refuses to see, to acknowledge the crimes against humanity.)
Although I was against the invasion of Iraq, did Saddam commit less crimes against his people?  Sectarian Muslims commit less crimes against each other?  How about Ottoman Sultans killing their brothers to remove competition for the throne?  Hundreds of women in their harams?  How about use of young boys for sexual pleasure?

You cannot legislate morality.  It comes from within.  God wants freely chosen faith, ibadah, actions for His sake; not imposed.

you do not have to use banks, credits, insurance.  Why don’t you donate the interest you  get for a good cause.
- Approve prostitution and gambling.  No government sanctions prostitution and gambling in US.  Then again you do not need to participate.
I believe it strengthens your iiman living among temptation.  Instead of focusing on the unacceptable behavior of others, be the change you want to see in public life.  Help others to help themselves.  Let them see the desirable behavior in you.