Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Commemorating/ anniversaries

Offline Visionary

• View Profile
Commemorating/ anniversaries
« on: December 31, 2011, 09:11:09 AM »
Salaam people,

Please let me know your views regarding the commemoration of certain dates e.g. birthdays, death days etc. As you are probably aware one camp says that these are totally forbidden and make no remembrance whatsoever as they were pagan practices, and the other say that this is OK and go all out to celebrate the Prophet's birthday, Imam Hussein's martyrdom and so on.

The general notion I find is that there is no real prohibition, however there is no need for an all out party! BUT I do find no real harm in the remembrance of specific dates. I don't see nothing too wrong with going to Karbala in Ashura as a token gesture of remembrance of Imam Hussein just as people in Bosnia conduct a remembrance procession in remembrance of the Srebrenica massacre.

With regards to birthdays, I'm not too sure how much of a pagan practice this is, but I don't see nothing too wrong in having a nice day (within the boundaries of Islam) and being thankful to God for the day you were given life.

Your views will be appreciated.

Regards,

Offline chadiga

• View Profile
Re: Commemorating/ anniversaries
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 11:20:13 PM »
dear brother salamu aleikum
I find your questions so interesting! You know, by us at home, there is already crashing, when my kids want to celebrate birthday. I as an ex-Sunnistin it banned my children earlier. Today I find nothing bad here. The children delight in the sweets (and I) and have a feast. It has nothing to do with religion yes we could argue most, as yet another year has passed and we are getting closer to death, we should not celebrate and cry more, which is probably correct, but whether the children understand that?
Something else in my opinion it, when idols are worshiped is through celebration of birthdays or death days or memories of massacre-The problem that I see with this is, that, firstly, these data and the events are uncertain, we do not know if they and when they have even taken place. In addition, a Celebration of the birthday of Saints, Prophets and others, may bring us closer to the danger of idolizing. So I would omit the celebration of things that are related to the Deen, but get no support from the Koran, rather . This is my own view.peace.
(because you don't know, i'm actually motherlanguage German. so excuse the mistakes in my writing :)

Offline Saba

• Keen to learn and understand the True Islam
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 04:18:44 AM »
Sister Chadiga,

Aslamaolaikum.

It is so nice to see that even though your main language is German, that you are able to get your points across in another language. It is really nice to see you on the board and read your posts  :)

The problem that I see with this is, that, firstly, these data and the events are uncertain, we do not know if they and when they have even taken place. In addition, a Celebration of the birthday of Saints, Prophets and others, may bring us closer to the danger of idolizing. So I would omit the celebration of things that are related to the Deen, but get no support from the Koran, rather .

This is a very good point. Idolization happens in small steps and Satan knows very well how to lead people astray.

Saba

Offline chadiga

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 06:13:22 AM »
dear sister saba
waleikum salam and schukran!! i love you all here very much...

Offline Visionary

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 06:56:54 AM »
wsalaam,g

Thank you for your response Sister may God guide us all to what's correct :o)

As sister Saba stated, that is a good point you raised and I think that has to be taken into consideration as sometimes somethings which start small can lead into bigger issues and can be over exaggerated. It is not really known when the birthday of the Prophet was also.

However, I'm of the view Islamic tenets are not always confined to the doom and gloom of punishment and death. God gave us life and created us for a reason and as such we should be grateful, whilst acknowledging the fact that we will one day die. So in that we should ponder and appreciate life just as much as we should ponder and remember death.

Also, it isn't always an issue to not do something that isn't mentioned in the Quran as long as it does not cross the limits stipulated. e.g. playing/ watching sports is not mentioned in the Quran but is not necessarily prohibited, it would be the extreme elements of idolising footballers, betting etc that would cause it to become an issue.

Many thanks Sister, your post is appreciated.

Regards