Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Maryam's Birth Period & Nations Being Warned - For Joseph Islam

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Maryam's Birth Period & Nations Being Warned - For Joseph Islam
« on: February 19, 2017, 12:01:30 AM »
Aslamunelikum Br. J.A. Islam,

I have two questions, if you could please provide guidance:

Q1. Is there any indication that suggests pregnancy of Maryam and delivery of Esa was in short time rather than normal 9 months.
[It seems like verse 15-16 and following verses, suggest Maryam's family was unaware of this event. verse 21 and 22 sound like it happened immediately]

2. There are verses (sorry for not providing references) that clearly suggest that God had sent warners/ messengers to every nation.  However, Sura Ya-sin (Chap. 36), verse 5, says "In order that you may warn a people, whose fathers had received no admonition, and who therefore remain heedless" suggests that they (nation) did not receive guidance from God through messengers. I think, I am missing something that is why it sounds like contradiction.

Please let me know what is the right explanation.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Maryam's Birth Period & Nations Being Warned - For Joseph Islam
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 12:17:57 AM »
Aslamunelikum Br. J.A. Islam,

I have two questions, if you could please provide guidance:

Q1. Is there any indication that suggests pregnancy of Maryam and delivery of Esa was in short time rather than normal 9 months.
[It seems like verse 15-16 and following verses, suggest Maryam's family was unaware of this event. verse 21 and 22 sound like it happened immediately]

Wa alaikum assalam

Just because one verse follows another such as in verses 19:21 and 22 indicating two different events / outcomes, this does not mean that they occurred immediately. It appears clear in verse 19:17 that Mary was in a state of seclusion of some sorts (hijab) and thus, had withdrawn from her people for some time anyway. No time frames are given and thus we should not assume any despite the outcome in verse 19:22.

2. There are verses (sorry for not providing references) that clearly suggest that God had sent warners/ messengers to every nation.  However, Sura Ya-sin (Chap. 36), verse 5, says "In order that you may warn a people, whose fathers had received no admonition, and who therefore remain heedless" suggests that they (nation) did not receive guidance from God through messengers. I think, I am missing something that is why it sounds like contradiction.

Please let me know what is the right explanation.

A generation of select forefathers does not equate to a nation. A nation can have numerous generations. That is why messengers were sent to the community mentioned in Surah Yaseen for the very reason that they do not end up being an entire nation without any guidance.

There may be some generations of people in a nation that may not have received direct guidance through prophets and messengers, but that does not equate to an entire nation. This is a similar to a question asked by Pharaoh 'What is then the state of the generations of old'? (20:51), possibly referring to the previous generations of his nation that didn't receive guidance.

Prophet Moses’s response was succinct 'The knowledge thereof is with my Lord in a book / record, my Lord errs not, nor does He forget' 20:52. It is clear that God is never unjust and not an iota of injustice will occur (4:40). Everyone will only be accountable to the extent they are responsible.

Therefore, messengers will be sent at some point to a particular nation. Verses in Surah Yasin indicate no different. Hence, this is in support of the general theme that no entire nation is left without guidance and not a contradiction.

I hope this helps, God willing
Joseph

'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell