Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: 'Khatams'

Offline Visionary

• View Profile
'Khatams'
« on: December 31, 2011, 09:24:10 AM »
Salaam people,

I'm on a roll today :0)

My next issue is with 'Khatams'. I'm not sure where this word comes from, if it is arabic or not but this is how I know it by. I don't know what it means but I can gather that it would be seen as an 'Islamic gathering'.

Many Muslims have 'Khatams' whereby they invite people to their houses and Quran is recited by each person, a small talk may be given, and a dua may be conducted. It may also include a dinner or something similar. Frequently these are done to mark an occasion e.g. a death,

Now this appeared to be fairly common a while back but seems to have fizzled out...from my humble view due to the increasing influence of 'wahaabi' style Islam (no offence to anyone). Again is it stated by those who condemn it, that this was not a practice of the Prophet (not found in hadith) to conduct collective recitations. However, I don't personally see that this is sufficient reason to condemn them. I find it very difficult to believe that gathering people with the intention of Zikrullah can be wrong. I don't find any support to condemn it in the Quran, however, I do find support for it in hadith where it is narrated along the lines..."Wherever there is a gathering and Allah is being remembered much, the Angels..." (maybe someone can provide the reference). So why is it they contradict their own views?

Your thought please :o)

Regards,

Offline Visionary

• View Profile
Re: 'Khatams'
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 09:26:12 AM »
Also I guess this leads on to the atypical sufi style 'zikhr' whereby the sufis gather and chant the names of God....

Offline chadiga

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 05:24:22 AM »
Salamu aleikum
by my side I see nothing wrong, in meetings, where the people speak about Allah. Only certain points should be noted here.
Perhaps an example. from my time with the Dawa and Tabligh group: there were also those WEEKLY meetings, called Talim. However, there was only one Book of Hadith what we  read and it  no questions allowed (which was the regulation of the "ulama" from India) ::) and from the Koran was never read something or discussed. :-[ Such meetings are  clear  nonsens. Even when we have meetings like the Sufis, where summoned by chanting of Allah's name to get a kind of trance, etc. I mean, we have the Koran as a guide and our minds to decide what is OK or not. a meeting who leads us in the proximity of God and expands our knowledge of God and the Koran is certainly nothing wrong. But a "traditionalised" initiated  meeting with rituals are in my view to take with caution ...
 >:( :)

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 07:36:00 AM »

A nice balanced response sister Chadiga. Like!  :)
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Truth Seeker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 07:15:37 PM »
Salaam all,

Khatams are very common in the Indian sub continent. Some (general) hadiths have been used to justify this practice but in the main they have been promoted by imams as having great benefits especially to the deceased.

There is a concept that by people reciting the Quran and other supplications, the 'sawab' or 'reward'' of this act, is transferred to the deceased. This is clearly contradictory to the Quran.

Because of this misguided notion, you will see that the tradition of khatams being held for the deceased has been extended to being conducted on specific days after death and being completed on the 40th day after death. We can see how one thing leads to another and now, many people are under pressure to host such khatams as they are considered as being good and holy.

In the main however, the majority of people participating in this ritual have no idea what they are reading as the Quran is read in Arabic which is not understood by them.
The aim of the khatam is to finish the Quran at least once in the gathering as of course, according to these people, the more they read, the more benefit for the deceased. This in my humble view defeats the purpose of the Quran but I do understand that people think that they are doing a good act and God will judge them for their efforts.

Offline Saba

• Keen to learn and understand the True Islam
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 02:11:39 AM »
Aslamaolaikum

With regards 'khatams', it would be far more useful if people got together and discussed the Qur'an in a language they could make sense of. They would get far more out of it. However, I agree that no one can judge intentions and how they will be taken into account. Only God can decide that. Saba

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 09:16:49 AM »
Salam All  Thanks for sharing.Actually muslims in India will feed the people who have partake in the process of givig shower the body & prepare for burial, pray janaza , go to burial ground & arrange burial.In token of thanks the kith & kin will arrange a Dawat for these fellow muslims who participate and  some poor. While doing so they arrange "Khatamul Quran" so that all participants recite entire Quran so that the decease get Sawab.Wallah Alam.We have take it as Zikrillah but not Sawab which left to Allah
May entire creation be filled with Peace & Joy & Love & Light