Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Meaning of 55:72 Restrained

Offline yahya

• View Profile
Meaning of 55:72 Restrained
« on: March 22, 2017, 01:06:11 AM »
Assalam alikum I was just wondering what does 55:72 mean by houris restrained the verse makes it sound like there forced in the pavilions like a slave or a prison that there not allowed to leave the pavilion like a prisoner or slave but I know it can't mean that but I don't know what it mean can it mean restrained as to there glances meaning that there pure modest respectful dignified does it mean this

Offline Duster

• View Profile
Re: Meaning of 55:72 Restrained
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 01:25:02 AM »
Shalom / peace Yahya .. Whose translation do you read???? Do you only read one translation????

Offline yahya

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 03:26:39 AM »
I read alot of translations but the majority use the forcefull aggresive notion and I try to stick with the most close meaning to it

Offline relearning

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 04:28:21 PM »
my two cents is that: Quran's direct audience is arabs of its revelation time. So quran speaks in term of their understanding of prize and punishments. Giving examples for local arabs (not universal i believe in this respect). So accepting them as metaphors solves my problem of such ayats.

Offline yahya

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 08:18:55 PM »
Yea but what does it mean by restrained also will men and women be able to talk to each other like will men be able to talk to the prophets wife's but in a non sexaul way and will women be able too do what they want that they won't be hidden away or that they can't leave there gardens area etc

Offline Duster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 12:29:05 AM »
Yea but what does it mean by restrained also will men and women be able to talk to each other like will men be able to talk to the prophets wife's but in a non sexaul way and will women be able too do what they want that they won't be hidden away or that they can't leave there gardens area etc

Peace / shalom Yahya ....please forgive me for saying this and i don't mean this in a bad way but you have asked ridiculous questions in my opinion.

Offline yahya

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 07:30:51 AM »
Sorry fine forget what I said but what does restain mean in the verse

Offline yahya

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 04:05:52 PM »
The reason I asked that question was that some say this is for all women so they can not come out the pavilions

Offline Duster

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 04:43:32 PM »
Yahya ...i think you need to quit saying 'some say'. At times you ask the most ridiculous question in my view with that pretext....You have been on this forum long enough to know that we take evidence from the qur'an.....so why do you keep bringing things up of what others say but is not in the Qur'an with at times the most irrelevant questions ??? How long have you been studying the Qur'an?????

Offline yahya

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 08:42:33 PM »
Well what does restrained mean in this verse and ill leave it at that jazzakallah

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 03:36:43 AM »
Dear Yahya,

Wa alaikum assalam

In 3 other verses the verb 'Qasara' is used to describe these beings as 'restraining' their glances. Please kindly note verses 37:48, 38:52 and 55:56.

As an example, think of a pure pavilion or cloister which has secluded companions that are not predisposed to unholy acts or desires. A new creation. Not one that we know of or have any experience of.

Those that are dedicated to an individual and keep themselves within bounds or limits and remain pure for the paradise dweller. Ones that are obedient, committed and restrain their glances only to reveal themselves to the righteous resident of paradise.

We do not know the gender of these beings or what gender we may have in the Hereafter. The real nature and full magnificence of these splendid companions are hidden from us, both men and women. Only a very cursory allusion is presented to us in similitudes.

Our restraint from lust and unholy acts will not go amiss. These will be recompensed and this verse may offer one such similitude of what one may expect (males and females).

I would kindly suggest not to get too caught up on the nature of these companions. As has been kindly shared with you already, we should rely on matters that are clear (miraan zahiran - 18:22).

Regards,
Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline yahya

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 10:31:56 PM »
Ok thanks so yea it means there self controlled meaning modest and they don't have to stay inside and never go out like a prisoner thanks and they get to talk to us and other people like the prophet and his wives and vice versa like we will do yea so that's what it means thanks jazzakallah

Because I used self controlled because lower gaze doesn't mean not to look but not to look with last etc but thanks jazzakallah