Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Public vs. Private Sin in an Islamic State

Offline Amira

• View Profile
    • oceanswereink
Public vs. Private Sin in an Islamic State
« on: March 27, 2017, 09:43:39 AM »
Salam everyone. So I was wondering what your opinions are, from a Quranic point of view, on the following issues:

1. I believe the Islamic conception of human rights is derived from the idea of khilafah on earth. All rights humans are entitled to would stem from this, such as the right to free agency of belief (assuming one is not harming others) and the right to education. From this, it seems that in an Islamic state, acts that harm others would be federally punishable whereas private sins would not be.

For example in the case of adultery, punishment only occurs if 4 witnesses are obtained. Adultery is a private sin and normally doesn't have witnesses, so if 4 witnesses are actually found, it indicates that the sin was publicized and affects society as a whole. Therefore it is punishable by state authorities.

Would things like drinking alcohol in private be punishable by the state according to this reasoning? (i.e. it's possible that drinking in private wouldn't warrant punishment unless the individual goes drunk driving and runs over someone, thus harming them and incurring consequences)

2. Someone recently brought up the idea that in an Islamic state, public proselytizing of other religions (Christianity, atheism) would be banned. This is based on the premise that since an Islamic state is built on the fundamentals of Islam, publicly promoting other beliefs/falsehoods (even peacefully) constitutes "chaos" and should be met with punishments/fines.

I believe this is invalid because freedom of religious expression is protected in the Quran as long as one refrains from attempting to forcefully convert others. So public proselytizing would not be banned unless it is violent.

This is complicated, but I hope it makes sense. Opinions? :)

“Narrated Buraydah ibn al-Hasib: I heard the Apostle of Allah say: In eloquence there is magic, in knowledge ignorance, and in poetry wisdom”

“Historically, what is or isn’t mainstream (in Islam) has always been a function of power, not of truth.” (Iyad El-Baghdadi, Arab Spring activist)

Offline wanderer

• View Profile
    • Diverging Thoughts
Re: Public vs. Private Sin in an Islamic State
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 09:54:26 AM »
Crimes can only be punished if they cause corruption in society, however, a crime does not have to affect others in order to corrupt society, just transgress against God's commands.
Regards
wanderer
Rather, We dash the truth upon falsehood, and it destroys it, and thereupon it departs. And for you is destruction from that which you describe. (21:18)

Offline Duster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 10:09:47 PM »
Crimes can only be punished if they cause corruption in society, however, a crime does not have to affect others in order to corrupt society, just transgress against God's commands.
Regards
wanderer

Shalom / peace ... Good answer I think .... 8)

Offline relearning

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 07:00:26 PM »
I dont think freedom of belief is protected by quran. Because idolators are scolded and asked to believe in one God or to leave the macca. That means islam is not allowing idolatry in society.  Throughout the history ,although it may seem wrong to you, in islamic states other beliefs' open propoganda is forbidden as i know.

Offline Hamzeh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 06:11:16 AM »
Asalamu Alykum

Dear relearning

You said
I dont think freedom of belief is protected by quran. Because idolators are scolded and asked to believe in one God or to leave the macca. That means islam is not allowing idolatry in society. 

I would have to respectfully disagree with this statement.

From the Quran one realizes that God had wanted to impart or send a message to people in peace by using His messenger. The message was to stop worshipping idols and to welcome them to the religion of Islam. Of course some people of the Book who were present among the polytheists were already practicing Islam and some were not.

The messenger of God was not to force them in accepting the religion that was being presented to them. This can be verified by many verses. Here is a couple examples

18:29 And say, "The truth is from your Lord, so whoever wills - let him believe; and whoever wills - let him disbelieve." Indeed, We have prepared for the wrongdoers a fire whose walls will surround them. And if they call for relief, they will be relieved with water like murky oil, which scalds [their] faces. Wretched is the drink, and evil is the resting place.

2:256 There shall be no compulsion in [acceptance of] the religion. The right course has become clear from the wrong. So whoever disbelieves in Taghut and believes in Allah has grasped the most trustworthy handhold with no break in it. And Allah is Hearing and Knowing.

God had clearly gave the Prophet a duty to convey the message. He was not asked to do it in violence or by force.

This conveyance of the message was seen by some polytheists and some of those who claimed to be of the people of the Book but did not follow their message in truth as a transgression even though they understood it was the truth from God. It was the people who did not allow people to choose God's religion and did not allow for freedom of religion.

Prophet Mohammad was then driven out of his home land for simply revealing new knowledge from God that was clear.

9:40 If ye help him not, still Allah helped him when those who disbelieve drove him forth, the second of two; when they two were in the cave, when he said unto his comrade: Grieve not. Lo! Allah is with us. Then Allah caused His peace of reassurance to descend upon him and supported him with hosts ye cannot see, and made the word of those who disbelieved the nethermost, while Allah's Word it was that became the uppermost. Allah is Mighty, Wise.

You can see how terrified the one who was with the messenger. It was God who sent tranquility upon him and aided them.

It was by the grace and mercy of God that He had checked or switched over the power from one people(polytheists) to another(believers) and the rules and laws of those who believe were then implemented.

The believers did not fight everyone who was a polytheist. They were only to fight those who fought them. It is clear from the Quran that freedom of religion is allowed.

4:94  O ye who believe! When ye go forth (to fight) in the way of Allah, be careful to discriminate, and say not unto one who offereth you peace: "Thou art not a believer," seeking the chance profits of this life (so that ye may despoil him). With Allah are plenteous spoils. Even thus (as he now is) were ye before; but Allah hath since then been gracious unto you. Therefore take care to discriminate. Allah is ever Informed of what ye do.

The believers did allow idolatry under the Islamic Law. However those polytheists who fought them were different than those who did not. Punishing polytheism alone was not the role of humans. It was something to be judged by God in the hereafter.

88:21-26
So remind, [O Muhammad]; you are only a reminder.
You are not over them a controller.
However, he who turns away and disbelieves -
Then Allah will punish him with the greatest punishment.
Indeed, to Us is their return.
Then indeed, upon Us is their account.

You also said
Throughout the history ,although it may seem wrong to you, in islamic states other beliefs' open propoganda is forbidden as i know.

History and Islamic states of the past or the present should never be seen as complete evidence of the true Islam especially when the Quran goes clearly against them.

Those are my thoughts

Peace :)

Offline Wakas

• View Profile
    • What does The Quran really say?
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 02:59:17 AM »
peace Amira,

This article lists all punishable crimes in Quran:
http://mypercept.co.uk/articles/Quran-crime-punishment-expiation.html
You will note that all punishable crimes are those that affect others/society.

Also, Re: freedom of belief/expression
http://misconceptions-about-islam.com/freedom-speech-islam.htm
http://misconceptions-about-islam.com/no-freedom-of-religion.htm
You will note that examples of things said that were untrue/mocking and no mention of a ban, and also we are encouraged to debate with them in the best manner, clearly implying there would be an opposing side in the debate which would likely hold contrary views to believers.

peace Hamzeh,
Why do you constantly refer to islam with a capital "I"? Seems odd.

Offline Hamzeh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 06:05:25 AM »
Peace to you to Wakas

Not to sure. Why is there something wrong with capitalizing names of religions? I capitalize also other religions like Christianity and Judism when I remember.

I dont really know much about grammer and English literature but I always thought names should be capitalized.

Peace

Offline Hamzeh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 06:47:44 AM »
Peace Wakas

I also googled it and seems like there is nothing wrong with capitalizing Islam.

I find it odd you have actually asked that question as well. Is it that big of a deal?

"Proper nouns are always capitalized, whether they refer to visible persons (Mr. Allen), historic personages (Moses, Mohammed), mythic figures (Zeus), or deity (Allah, God, Holy Spirit). Proper nouns that refer to religions are also capitalized. Thus, we get: Christianity, Judaism, Islam.

Religious Capitalization - Curtis Allen's Ashland University English ...[1]

Peace

[1] http://www.allenenglish.me/religious-capitalization.html

Offline Amira

• View Profile
    • oceanswereink
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 08:00:06 AM »
Wakas: Thank you for the pages. I'm adding that to my reference list.

I'm pretty sure Islam is a proper noun.

I agree with Hamzeh's answer to Relearning--peacefully preaching other religions wouldn't be banned.
“Narrated Buraydah ibn al-Hasib: I heard the Apostle of Allah say: In eloquence there is magic, in knowledge ignorance, and in poetry wisdom”

“Historically, what is or isn’t mainstream (in Islam) has always been a function of power, not of truth.” (Iyad El-Baghdadi, Arab Spring activist)

Offline relearning

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 02:37:58 PM »
Would you please then give some examples of quran encouraging idolators continue peacefully their practising of both worshipping idols and spread it to other people if they willingly choose it. How would you consider a muslim in an islamic society converting to idolatry and then go on as if nothing happened in his/her life. if you accept idolators peacefully spread their religion and practising worshipping idols in islamic society you must also be prepared the consequences of it some muslim born people may at the end turn to them. So would it be very ok with you?

thanks.

Offline good logic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 03:36:48 PM »
Peace relearning.
When you say,quote:
you consider a muslim in an islamic society converting to idolatry and then go on as if nothing happened in his/her life. if you accept idolators peacefully spread their religion and practising worshipping idols in islamic society you must also be prepared the consequences of it some muslim born people may at the end turn to them. So would it be very ok with you?

Are you assuming "in an islamic society" there is no idolworship?
In that case which of the many denominations( Sunni,Shiia,Ahmadi,Sufi,Qoran centric,Submitter....etc) is the right "Islam"?
Although there are many different religions and denominations, a "true Muslim to GOD" can exist in all of them. Why not?
Also, how can one be born a "Muslim" from just a selected few? Is that fair?
One is born to go through the test of choosing to be a "Muslim" or not.
GOD bless you.
Peace.
Total loyalty to GOD
In GOD i TRUST.
https://total-loyalty-to-god-alone.co.uk/?page_id=197

Offline relearning

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2017, 03:48:12 PM »
thanks your kindly reply. my question in its own frame points a dilemma in an islamic society. your points are a different subject. I say for example would you be please that in an islamic society (is not it an aim for believers by the way) will you or other muslims be very ok with idolators to spread their religion and practise it. That is the question. you may answer yes am pleased with it or no i am not.

i am not assuming there is no idolworship in an islamic society. But i am not relating any sect to idolworship it seems unfair to me. But your points distracts my frame of question to another level dear friend. i also believe someone without any religion can have a good relationship with god. But it is different than what i ask here. I dont believe of being priviledged by born in anyway. bu simply please answer my question thanks.

Offline good logic

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2017, 05:39:55 PM »
Sorry relearning,that question is misleading. The" islamic society" is itself a made up religion.
As a believer, I may disagree with others, but I can only invite to GOD s way, I cannot control/allow or otherwise people s to have choices.
There is no  compulsion in "True Islam".
Hope that clarifies the issue with your question.
GOD bless you.
Peace.
Total loyalty to GOD
In GOD i TRUST.

Offline relearning

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2017, 12:27:37 AM »
when reading quran i got the feeling that it aims to create an islamic society. It is purpose is not to create individuals not related each other moving freely by their own. Even at the time of migration muslims who didnt choose to migrate are scolded in quran. So i am not sharing your view that islamic society is a made up religion.

but thanks for sharing your views.

Offline good logic

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2017, 02:12:32 AM »
Peace relearning.
I was talking about the "islamic society " of today. Their religion is not the religion of the Qoran.
 Do you think today s "islamic society" is  the same "islamic society"that Qoran gives you the feeling about?
I am sorry brother, I do not share your view either.The majority of those who claim to be "Muslims" are not following Qoran. They are following a "made up religion".
So how can they preach to other made up religions ?You will have the blind trying to guide another blind!
GOD bless you.
Peace.
Total loyalty to GOD
In GOD i TRUST.