Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Noah's Age 950 Years

Offline yahya

• View Profile
Noah's Age 950 Years
« on: March 27, 2017, 10:49:32 AM »
Assalam alikum I have read the pages and facebook page about noah age but some people think the flood of noah was 5600 bc but how could noah and his people live up to a thousand years when everyone else live a very short life because humans live very short life's back then because noah nation had to be close to ad and thamud so if ad and thamud was about in the 12 thousand years ago region the noah had to be as well

Offline wanderer

• View Profile
    • Diverging Thoughts
Re: Noah's Age 950 Years
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 10:51:21 AM »
"but how could noah and his people live up to a thousand years when everyone else live a very short life because humans live very short life's back then"

Noah's longevity was a miracle bestowed by God. It's very simple.
Rather, We dash the truth upon falsehood, and it destroys it, and thereupon it departs. And for you is destruction from that which you describe. (21:18)

Offline yahya

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 10:38:18 PM »
So it might of just been him and not the rest of his people or was his people life's a miracle too

Offline wanderer

• View Profile
    • Diverging Thoughts
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 12:37:22 AM »
Yes
Rather, We dash the truth upon falsehood, and it destroys it, and thereupon it departs. And for you is destruction from that which you describe. (21:18)

Offline Duster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 01:52:44 AM »
but how could noah and his people live up to a thousand years

Shalom / peace ... where does it say that Noah's people lived thousand years? Noah lived among his people for nearly thousands of years but that could be different generations .... Noah lived 950 years  but that doesn't mean his people did as well .....

Offline wanderer

• View Profile
    • Diverging Thoughts
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 02:25:12 AM »
I misspoke on my previous answer. I was saying 'yes' to your first statement, that Noah (pbuh) was the only one among his people with a very long life. My apologies.
Regards
wanderer

Offline yahya

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 07:33:21 AM »
Ok thanks but wouldn't of people thought of him as a angle or god like sine he was the only one living that long and don't forget noah had a wife and children as well if he was the only too live that long he must of had children and wife later on in his life

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 11:50:45 PM »
Dear Yahya,

As-salamu alaykum

I feel that this is actually quite a good question / topic and I will attempt to offer some of my humble views on this.

As you may already be aware, I have already commented on Prophet Noah's age in a Facebook post which I do believe, in essence, supports the longevity Biblical view of 900+ years. [1]

The Quran only mentions such longevity briefly and that with regards Prophet Noah. Furthermore, there is nothing to suggest that this longevity was only restricted to Prophet Noah and not his people. All we know is that he lived amongst his people for nearly a thousand years but they continued in their waywardness which led to his prayer of condemnation (71:26-27). Therefore, such longevity may have been the norm during Prophet Noah’s time.

It is also the Quran's view, that general guidance can be found in the Bible [28:49] [2] and of course, we also know that even the Prophet was instructed to revert to the learned of the People of the Book if he was in doubt of certain claims [16:43; 21:7-8]. To support the latter sentiment, please also see reference [3] below.

There appears to be two periods from the Bible when it comes to longevity of human life; a pre-flood period and a post-flood period. We note that many Biblical patriarchs from the 10 generations from Adam to Prophet Noah had what we would consider, extremely long lives. Many reportedly lived past 900 years. However, post flood and in the 10 generations to Prophet Abraham we note a steady decline in longevity till Prophet Abraham where he reportedly lived in his 100s.

So the apt question in my view is what possibly happened pre and post flood and to the generations of 'humans' which gradually resulted in shorter life spans till we come to the general expectancy of a 70-90 years life span.

If we note the creation of Adam, who can be considered the perfected archetype of man, certainly arguably, from a genetic pool and physiological perspective (15:29, 38:72), he was fashioned to live for eternity [4] in a state of felicity on earth before he sinned. It is only after he sinned, that a life term was generally appointed (7:24-25). If we accept this perspective, it is then not so remarkable to posit the suggestion of a strong gene pool for human beings till the ten generations leading to Prophet Noah from Adam.

We are also not aware of what damage the flood left on the areas surrounding where the ship finally rested and where the new generations of humans subsequently lived. It is quite possible that dietary resources changed and the scarcity of cultivated land etc. contributed to an impact on longevity. After all, a flood would have left immense devastation.

Either way, a general life-span has been considered apt in God’s plan for humans to be trialled. Arguably, the longer the lifespan spent sinning, the greater the accountability and punishment in the Hereafter. Maybe it is a blessing then, that such long lifetimes are a thing of the past as we saw with the people of Noah who continued in their transgressions. Verse 2:96 also makes a very powerful statement regarding the weakness of the human condition with regards those bent on transgression (2:96).

These thoughts are not intended to be comprehensive or authoritative but merely, humble suggestions given the information to our avail.

I hope this helps, God willing,
Joseph

REFERENCES

[1] The Precision of the Quran's Usage of Language - Prophet Noah's Long Life
https://www.facebook.com/joseph.a.islam/posts/395974967206303
[2] The Two Guides - The Quran and the Bible
https://www.facebook.com/joseph.a.islam/posts/300599863410481
[3] ASK THOSE THAT HAVE KNOWLEDGE
http://quransmessage.com/articles/ask%20one%20with%20knowledge%20FM3.htm
[4] Was Adam created mortal? Or he lost immortality after disobeying God?
http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=1505.msg7027#msg7027
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline yahya

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 01:55:50 AM »
Thanks but I still think that that adam came anywhere from 20 thousand bc  to 1.2 million years ago all depends if the homo erectus and neanderthal was humans or not and noah was between 5-10 thousand bc and he was sent only to his people and that there were humans all over the earth when noah was alive but the flood only effected his people and that we don't all come from noah and the people if the ark because noah had to be close to ad and thamud and AD and thamud had to of come between 2-7 thousand bc especially if those buildings are thamud in petra and madain al saleh  and the quran says noah was close to ad and thamud because the quran says ad was khalifa after noah so these our my views maybe noah nation was a special nation a one off with age but I don't think there was 10 generations between adam and noah but much longer and the 10 genration thing is from the bible and hadith also one scholor said when the bible mentions 10 people in between of Adam and noah it was the most best of people but not the age of generations but this is my options but thanks

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 02:13:34 AM »
Dear Yayha,

I don't necessarily agree with your timelines, but that is fine.

However more importantly, can I kindly request that in future, when you mention what other 'people say' or you assert abstract references to 'scholars' and their alleged claims, can you please kindly cite evidence of their claims with links if appropriate.

I would prefer to keep this forum at a good academic level with good citations and reference support.

Regards,
Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline yahya

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 03:26:32 AM »
Ok will the scholor who said this about the generation bible thing was from al mawald website the scholors under javed ghamidi

You said you don't agree with the timeline what timeline do you think is the best from your humble opinion because like I said it really depends in if the homo erectus and neanderthal are humans or not if they are then adam had to be from one of the timeline period but like I said this is where I thought of the timeline but it would be great to hear your view what your think I also got this timeline from the scholor pof joey hayward or joel hayward he is the brother who does poems and is a historian jazzakkallah

Offline yahya

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 03:56:58 AM »
Also I went on my timeline because they said we bred with neanderthals and if that was the case then they had to be humans and also there finding more and more whitch says they are humans

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 10:03:38 PM »
You said you don't agree with the timeline what timeline do you think is the best from your humble opinion because like I said it really depends in if the homo erectus and neanderthal are humans or not if they are then adam had to be from one of the timeline period but like I said this is where I thought of the timeline but it would be great to hear your view what your think I also got this timeline from the scholor pof joey hayward or joel hayward he is the brother who does poems and is a historian jazzakkallah

Dear Yahya,

As-salamu alaykum

My sentiment about timelines was specifically concerned with the generational gap between Adam and Prophet Noah. I would rather not surmise on any other timeline.

I have no reason to dismiss the Biblical understanding of a separation of 10 generations between Adam and Prophet Noah and if any timeline, whilst allowing for longevity, supports such a generation time gap, then I am happy to support it in the main.

Any other wider timeline calculation regarding genus is beyond the scope of what I would be willing to answer given the uncertainties.

I hope that clarifies my position.

Regards,
Joseph
George Orwell

Offline yahya

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2017, 01:45:25 AM »
Thanks jazzakkallah this is not a question just my opion why I have a problem with the bible timeline that I just want to share on this page that's all its not a question just sharing information

1. The problem is the bible gives a timeline of only 6 thousand years but humans exsist way before that and they were smart like example the gobekli temple or building or such
2. The bible gives just 10 generations between noah and abraham as well
3. Also within these timeliness they insult the prophets alot like saying noah got drunk and prophet lut slept with his daughters etc
4. Also I believe the bible can only be used so much because when you compare the two the bible and quran you get alot of confusion and that's why the quran can only be trusted fully
5. The old ttestament is the worst out of the two old and new testament at least the new testament only focuses on prophet jesus and it's more of a guidance like the quran than the old testament

These are just my views that i finally wanted to share with this page but thanks jazzakkallah and I understand what you mean jazzakkallah

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 01:55:52 AM »
Dear Yahya,

As-salamu alaykum

Thank you for sharing your views.

Then my humble suggestion would be to not probe questions with a view to elicit responses which cannot be answered by anyone with any degree of certainty and take the Quranic advice:

018:022 (Part)
"Enter not, therefore, into controversies concerning them, except on a matter that is clear / obvious / apparent (Arabic: Illa miraan zahiran)..."

Just my humble view  :)

Regards,
Joseph

RELATED ARTICLE:

[1] UNKNOWN TOWNS AND NAMES - WHY FILL IN THE GAPS?
http://quransmessage.com/articles/unknown%20towns%20and%20names%20FM3.htm
George Orwell