Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Understanding what is doubts in the quran

Offline yahya

• View Profile
Understanding what is doubts in the quran
« on: April 04, 2017, 04:53:16 AM »
Assalam alikum the quran says never to doubt and I understand that

But it says that if you doubt you are a hypocrite and if you die you go to hell but we all have some doubts because that's what makes us human so I really confused because if you have some doubt would that make you go to hell because if yes that would be the majority of us

Abraham had some doubts but he was a prophet and asked god to show him how to raise the dead to reassure his mind and heart

So I'm really confused by whitch doubts make you a hypocrite and whitch doubts are fine like abraham

Because it makes it sound like any doubt makes you a hypocrite and you will go to hell but I know that's not the case because of Abraham

I'm mean is there a thing called doubts in the mind and and doubts in the heart is there a difference between the two

Offline yahya

• View Profile
Re: Understanding what is doubts in the quran
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 05:13:26 AM »
Like is the doubt of a hypocrite someone who is 50/50 or is some a hypocrite if he has only 1-20 percent doubt but 80-99 percent shore islam is the truth
Like I said this is confusing because every muslims has about 1 percent now and again doubt so would that make them a hypocrite and if they died with that would that make him go to hell

Offline Duster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 08:31:25 PM »
shalom / peace Yahya.... I'm just trying to work out what is behind your questions of this type .... you seem to say a lot on your posts that 'you are confused' ... or that you 'were wondering ...and posts like this seem to show that maybe you suffer from a lot of doubt yourself????? do you mind me asking whether you have doubts about the al-qur'an and the existence of an Almighty God / Allah? .... I'm asking as it just might help me / others better understand the background from where many of your questions may be coming from ......it may even help some of us answer your q's better ! ....

Offline ilker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 12:44:13 AM »
Assalam alikum the quran says never to doubt and I understand that

But it says that if you doubt you are a hypocrite and if you die you go to hell but we all have some doubts because that's what makes us human so I really confused because if you have some doubt would that make you go to hell because if yes that would be the majority of us

Abraham had some doubts but he was a prophet and asked god to show him how to raise the dead to reassure his mind and heart

So I'm really confused by whitch doubts make you a hypocrite and whitch doubts are fine like abraham

Because it makes it sound like any doubt makes you a hypocrite and you will go to hell but I know that's not the case because of Abraham

I'm mean is there a thing called doubts in the mind and and doubts in the heart is there a difference between the two

salam

you say: "Abraham had some doubts but he was a prophet and asked god to show him how to raise the dead to reassure his mind and heart."

I don't think he doubted. Allah asks him if he believed or not. He said "i do believe". What i think he asked was to see "how Allah raises the dead" with his own eyes, in the flesh. He simply wanted to be a live witness to the event, to calm his heart. You know the sun will set but you want to witness it. Because it's fascinating to watch it live.

Offline yahya

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 03:20:43 AM »
Assalam alikum no I don't doubt but I get confused by what the quran means at times because at times it says one thing then at times it says something else

Offline Wakas

• View Profile
    • What does The Quran really say?
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 05:17:57 AM »
Regarding the story involving Abraham, there are different translations but here is a discussion on it:
https://free-minds.org/forum/index.php?topic=15458.0

Offline relearning

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 03:22:52 PM »
yahya are you from turkey? doubt is essential in human life without doubt at first you cant reach any certainity it encourages you to dig everything around you and put them into scrutiny double check them etc. so having doubts is no threat to your belief i believe. Actually you must have doubt! I dont think god will like people whom are like sheep following mindlessly who is infront of them. so even challenging god sincerely is the way to go i think that will even please god i believe. so keep having doubts and sincerely continue to search the truth even it is in contradiction to what you have belived so far. by the way turkish people can we get in touch in a specific forum subject here?

Offline yahya

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 05:33:09 PM »
Thanks and I agree but what does the verse mean to you then jazzakkallah

Offline relearning

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 05:57:07 PM »
My general understanding of quran that it is direct audience is the arabians lived in the era of its revelation. Not everything in it concerns us accept general guidelines. Quran must be understood in a historical frame which is bound by time and place of it is origin. I dont take everything literally from quran therefore your being feeling guilty or not regarding being doubtfull of anything in quran for my humble view is unnecessary.

Offline ilker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 10:28:27 PM »
My general understanding of quran that it is direct audience is the arabians lived in the era of its revelation. Not everything in it concerns us accept general guidelines. Quran must be understood in a historical frame which is bound by time and place of it is origin. I dont take everything literally from quran therefore your being feeling guilty or not regarding being doubtfull of anything in quran for my humble view is unnecessary.

Salam

Can you please give at least one example for an ayah/situation/event that doesn't concern us and/or benefit us or that we do not have to take as a lesson today ?

Offline Duster

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 11:35:52 PM »

Salam

Can you please give at least one example for an ayah/situation/event that doesn't concern us and/or benefit us or that we do not have to take as a lesson today ?

Shalom / peace Ilker  ....Try the whole of Surah Quraish. (Chapter 106).....4 verses....you see any relevance for us today?

Offline Zack

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2017, 11:40:45 PM »

Salam

[/quote]

Hello ilker,

I think all you are saying is that your are a literalist, whilst relearning is a contextualist, like me. This is not really my field, however verses such as those relating to Inheritance: (QS 4:11-12) or womens issues (2:282) may be examples.

Wasalam

Zack

Offline relearning

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2017, 12:09:21 AM »
Ayats for fighting pagans:

But when the forbidden months are past, then fight and slay the pagans wherever ye find them, and seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem (of war); but if they repent, and establish regular prayers and practise regular charity, then open the way for them: for Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (trans. Yusuf Ali).

for example ayats dealing with slave girls.

Ayats for waiting period after divorce.

Ayats for cutting hands of thiefs. Or ayats for prisoning or whipping for fornification or adultery. Ayats for handing a murderer to the victim's family (And do not kill the soul which Allah has forbidden, except by right. And whoever is killed unjustly - We have given his heir authority, but let him not exceed limits in [the matter of] taking life. Indeed, he has been supported isra 33)

Ayats for promising golden bracelets silver dressings for men, or girls waiting in tents all are aiming arabic culture.

we can take the general guideline not the literal ones for example prepare horses for the future wars. (8:60
And prepare against them what force you can and horses tied at the frontier, to frighten thereby the enemy of Allah and your enemy and others besides them, whom you do not know (but) Allah knows them; and whatever thing you will spend in Allah's way, it will be paid back to you fully and you shall not be dealt with unjustly.) But instead we draw general guidelines by using our mind that now we know that we must use todays weapons ready for defense.

"Men are the maintainers of women because Allah has made some of them to excel others and because they spend out of their property; the good women are therefore obedient, guarding the unseen as Allah has guarded; and (as to) those on whose part you fear desertion, admonish them, and leave them alone in the sleeping-places and beat them; then if they obey you, do not seek a way against them; surely Allah is High, Great" is also becoming obsolete in todays world women also becoming members of working class and even some maintaining their family instead of men.

inheritance for men having two whereas female taking one part in todays society it is already obsolete.

Usury or interest ban. Todays modern world stands upon the financial system of which usery is the backbone of it. And all islamic society came out with is profit share which is just a masking name of interest names in banks.

Ayats dealing with your wife when they are in dissented view or they dont obey you the procedure is to give advice to seperate beds and in the end to beat. This ayat mainly aims arabic society with poligamy because if it is not the second option of seperating bed with wife for todays monogamy is only a punishment to husband but in that era of the world man had more than one wife so seperating beds would have an impact on wife.

These are some i can remember. By the way ilker are you from turkey because i am and from your name i deducted this.

Offline ilker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2017, 01:19:13 AM »
Salam all,

Dear Zack, i'm not literalist or contextualist. I am not interested in labeling myself as such. In my opinion, every ayah, every event in the Quran gives us a message, to all humanity. They simply cannot be ruled out even if we live in a different time period. This has nothing to do with being a literalist.

Duster, so you find surah Quraish irrelevant for our time ?

"Let them worship the Lord of this House, Who has fed them, [saving them] from hunger and made them safe, [saving them] from fear."

When you read this what do you think ? Who saves you from hunger and makes you safe ? Who feeds you ? Yes, situations/events are different ! Can you say what has been said about Quraysh doesn't concern you today ? I think "the message" is still relevant. Did you get my point ?

Relearning, thanks for sharing your thoughts but, with all due respect, i don't agree with them. So Allah(swt) made interest haram back then but now it's unavoidable for today's world, so those ayat are invalid now ? Is this what you think ? How is this different from the concept of abrogation in principle ?

p.s. I don't mean to argue with anyone here, these are just my thoughts. Sorry for my English.

Yes relearning I am from Turkey :)

Offline Duster

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2017, 01:30:02 AM »
Duster, so you find surah Quraish irrelevant for our time ?

"Let them worship the Lord of this House, Who has fed them, [saving them] from hunger and made them safe, [saving them] from fear."

When you read this what do you think ? Who saves you from hunger and makes you safe ? Who feeds you ? Yes, situations/events are different ! Can you say what has been said about Quraysh doesn't concern you today ? I think "the message" is still relevant. Did you get my point ?

No not really....don't get me wrong but i think your point is a little desperate. Yes Allah provides, saves from hunger and gives safety to who He wills.  But the whole Surah which you didn't quote was referencing certain people and their particular covenants.....

Here is a translation without brackets....

For the covenants by the Quraish,

Their covenants journeys by winter and summer,-

Let them adore the Lord of this House,

Who provides them with food against hunger, and with security against fear.

Now we have the whole surah!! What were their exact covenants?? Do we know???? Does the Quran tell us??? No!!!! So you see my point?? This was not intended to be a generic Surah but a specific one .....