Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: What Does Cloaks Mean?

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
What Does Cloaks Mean?
« on: January 01, 2012, 01:11:39 AM »
Salaam alaikum Brother Joseph,

Please could you tell me what cloaks mean in the following ayah. Do we have to wear Burqa/Abaya/Long cloaks?

33:59 O Prophet! Tell thy wives and thy daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks close round them (when they go abroad). That will be better, so that they may be recognised and not annoyed. Allah is ever Forgiving, Merciful.

Thank you.

Sister

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: What Does Cloaks Mean?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 01:17:23 AM »
Salamun Alaikum Sister,

The word is jilbab. Whether a jilbab is worn (33:59) or a thobe in the context of 24:60, this is a reference to outer garments that were used by Arabs of the 7th century who constituted the primary audience of the Quran. 'Outer garments' are worn over normal clothes which on their own would not be appropriate for non familiar company. For example, less moderate attire or apparel that would be too revealing for non-intimate company. For example, ¾ length jeans, tight jeans, body revealing tight tops etc. I'm not a woman, but I'm sure you can ascertain what I intend to imply.

The emphasis is on modesty and coverage with sensible judgment as opposed to any particular type of apparel. However, a jilbab was an outer garment and a thobe (24:60) was a garment which covered the arms and legs up to the feet.

Note in 24:60, an elderly woman can take this 'thobe' off which implies that a younger women needs to maintain this coverage in the same scenario. Even today, many women in middle eastern countries, when they go out have a kind of outer thobe or garment but when they get back home, they take it off to reveal their more relaxed attire underneath.

Of course (as an example) one doesn't have to wear an Arab garb in the Siberian peninsula, but appropriate coverage should be maintained.

I share a couple of articles with you which I hope helps, God willing.

HIJAAB

http://quransmessage.com/articles/hijaab%20FM3.htm

THOBE & JILBAB

http://quransmessage.com/articles/thobe-jilbab%20FM3.htm

Regards,
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell